Racial, ethnic, homophobic, gender, or religious slurs>>MOD WARNING<<

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Battle3, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

click here for MOD WARNING

MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<<
    Here is the often mentioned Rule #7:

7. RACIAL, ETHNIC, HOMOPHOBIC, GENDER, OR RELIGIOUS SLURS
    Any post or image that is - in the judgment of a moderator or administrator - a slur against any such group will be subject to infraction.

Notice “homophobic”. Why MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<< is a political word intended to stifle speech, a word that does not represent a group of people, rather than the usual “LGBT” or “Sexual orientation”?

The theoretical intent of rule 7 is to shield certain groups from opinions and comments that might hurt their feelings and thereby raise the level of discourse. Race, ethnicity, gender, and religion are groups. Homophobic is not a group and obviously the moderators are not trying to protect “homophobics”.

Race, ethnicity, gender, are physical characteristics and objective, religion is a self-proclaimed group of people aligned philosophically – these are traits declared by the individual to apply to himself. Homophobic is not in that class, it is applied to the individual based upon the personal bias and interpretations of people who oppose the individuals philosophy.

The word “homophobic” was invented by the gay activists in order to denigrate and silence people with whom the activists disagree. It’s similar to the recent usage of the word “racism”: a person who opposes one of obama’s political policies is called a racist in order to distract from the issue, intimidate dissenters, and avoid discussion.

In the same way a person reveals their position on abortion by the use of “pro-life” or “pro-choice”, a person reveals their bias on the homosexuality issue by their use of the word “homophobic”.

Then the original question, why MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<< use “homophobic”? Because their perspective was not as objective referees but the gay activists perspective in which speech that promotes the gay agenda is to be protected, and dissenting speech is to be silenced.

Does that mean there are no debates over homosexuality? MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<< I submit the bias spills over into other areas, but the inclusion of the word “homophobic” in rule 7 makes the pro-gay bias clear.

What do you think? MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<< just an accidentally-on-purpose slip of the pen?

2. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

And ...? Privately owned site, so their rules are their rules. Are you angry that you are not able to trash gay people to the degree you want?

3. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

Lame attempt at twisting his words while completely missing his point.
    He's discussing a word.... he's not discussing you guys.

From what I see, the most trashed group is the Christians.
    It's because it happens in almost every single thread here.
    Certainly every forum.

Blacks are second... and that certainly reaches beyond the race forum.

Gays, mostly just in their own forum.
    And usually because they insist on playing victim, even when they aren't.... like in your post above.

4. Micketto

Maybe tossing a bone to the gays with the word "homophobe" is their way of making them feel included... while giving them a small forum of their own.
    Scratch that.... sub-forum, inside a forum.

Knowing what's involved in creating rules for a forum, I honestly think it's less "political correctness", and more just their way of saying "no gay-bashing".

5. Daniel Light

Well, since I'm not gay, how can I play a gay victim.

And as the thread seems to be about a perceived bias, not just a word, isn't it the author who is claiming to be the victim of a policy of this site that he feels is biased?

6. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

MOD EDIT>>>RULE 8<<< 'RACIAL, ETHNIC, HOMOPHOBIC, GENDER, OR RELIGIOUS SLURS' and the intent of rule 7 is to restrict their use on this forum. They do not want to read them in our posts. As a guest here, I make sure I refrain from using them.

7. Micketto

Oh, I thought you said otherwise in a different thread.

I don't see him claiming he is victimized, I think he is simply calling out the forum.

He certainly wasn't saying he wanted to trash gays more... as you accused him of.

8. Daniel Light

Really? Maybe you should read it again, 'cause his initial post sure sounded the bleating of child who feels he has been wronged. The rules are what they are.

9. Micketto

I had already read it again before I responded the first time. I see a calm monologue about the meaning of a word and how it was used.

Of course the rules are what they are, which is why he wrote this.
    Derp.

If discussing the meaning of a word within a rule is forbidden here.... by all means report him and stop complaining about it.

And stop worrying... this thread, that obviously offends you, will be shut down by lunchtime.

10. ringotuna

ringotuna Well-Known Member Past Donor

I suggest a safety word. Type 'banana soup' if PF moderators are holding you hostage with a gun to your head, requiring you to stay.

11. Micketto

lol...

12. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is no such thing as impartiality on political, ethical, or journalistic views. Of course the forum will be "biased" - there are people expressing their opinions.

13. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

I think it's probably subconsciously biased. Only you know if it's intentionally biased. It's the same as using 'climate denier' or 'birther'. If I saw one of those in the rules, that would to me be blatantly biased.

14. FixingLosers

FixingLosers New Member

But when a bakery refuse to... oh fudge it, never mind, I'm tired of that circular shizzle too.

15. Strasser

Strasser Banned

As the drive to kill off free speech make lots of headway, forums are more and more left open to legal hassles designed specifically to kill off open discussions. The groups with the most money to conduct that sort of harassment are of course obvious. My experience is most of these forums are operated by conservatives, at least some of the largest are, and they tend to be less oppressive than any of the so-called 'progressive' forums. In any case, I don't see that the OP indicates anything but that trend that going on all over the net on sites like this, and not a reflection of a site owner's personal bias generally, it's just becoming harder and harder for any site owner to accept the legal and monetary risks these days. Such sites as this will just move to servers in Finland or other places, and carry on. If you want to experience a really oppressive forum, try Democratic Underground on for size ...lol This is not to say that individual mods aren't biased, but boards that let mods run around harassing posters based on their personal kinks soon don't have much of a board worth visiting and providing content for, and of course their hit numbers start going way down, and dropping further and further down the stats ratings. Blogs have already drawn away many of the net's better posters and commentators, anyway.

I already post on two foreign boards now, and probably another one getting started up recently; they are much better at attracting posters who know history and politics.

16. Steady Pie

I have strange preferences when it comes to forums - I like the least rules possible. Give us a place to post, and I'm happy. That's why I like IRC and deepweb chat.

But sometimes you just want the mainstream. And that's fine - you've got to play by their rules. No problem with that, but it's not my preference.

17. Strasser

Strasser Banned

I used to do IRC a lot a long time ago, but the channels tended to go dead for long periods and I quit bothering. I didn't even know those channels were still around. Maybe when I get time I'll load up some of the new IRC software out now and give it a spin again.

18. Dale Cooper

Dale Cooper Well-Known Member

For about 10 years I owned a forum where anything was OK except 2 things: Direct threats of injury or death and outing of personal information of another member.

People could rant, rave, bash, say whatever they wanted about anyone, including me. Yes, occasionally members got completely sidetracked but those who didn't want to read were free to click out or put people on ignore.

IMO, that's the way a forum should be run. If there are certain posters who show a pattern of general instability, ignore them. It's obvious some members delight in starting threads only to troll; what amazes me is the foolish people who respond, over and over and over. Why? Nobody's mind will be changed and the trolling will continue. Don't click, or if you must read, just laugh and walk away without responding. To respond encourages them.

Seems simple enough. It's really impossible to have consistency if there are more than 2 mods. Opinions on what constitutes bias and slurs varies greatly.

And yes, Christianity/Christians are bashed relentlessly, here and elsewhere.

19. usfan

usfan Banned

Yes, freedom is often messy & awkward. But regarding the trolling issue, i have often wondered why limits on new threads could not mitigate that somewhat.. especially for new members, some of whom come just to troll. Give them a 1 thread a day limit, & increase it as their post count raises, or their time on the board increases. ..just an idea.

Modding can be a tough job, if they think they have to keep the peace. but if they see themselves more as 'keeping the freedom', it would be better, imo. 'Peace' is too subjective, & leeway of interpretation is too broad. So are insults, slurs, etc. Many people are very skilled at insulting & demeaning constantly, yet don't seem to be infracted. others may lash out on occasion, & they get it right away. its a tough balance, but it does come down to the mission statement. Do you want peace & conformity, or free speech & borderline chaos? :)

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~Thomas Jefferson

20. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

I do not believe that you could possibly sustain your thesis with credible empirical data, but 77% of Americans identify as "Christian," and it would hardly strain credulity to suggest that most who post here - predominantly Americans - are Christian.

Whilst self-criticism can be a meritorious trait, do you really believe that Christians are 'trashing" themselves in "almost every single thread"?

You evoke images of the last Pope who routinely whipped himself with a belt and slept on the floor. I suggest that such behaviour is, fortunately, quite atypical.

I do find "homophobia" and all its derivatives a convenient catch-all for anti-homosexual bias. Sexual prejudice, like other phobias, may be predicated upon a persistent, irrational fear of some "otherness", but the various forms of bigotry are not routinely attributed to trepidation. "Gay bashing" - without the diagnostic presumption - may be more applicable and specific.

21. Steady Pie

Yeah the worst part of IRC is wankers who idle. Like 90% of people idle. But you can usually find a good channel on almost any topic you like, and 2-5 people are active.

You can say what you like and the people know their (*)(*)(*)(*). But clearly something like PF has its benefits, or I wouldn't have nearly 7000 posts here haha.

22. Micketto

I can honestly say I don't care.

No, and nothing I said implied as much.

I think it's the same half-dozen loudmouthed atheists... in "almost every single thread".

23. Micketto

Amen. ..

24. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Well-Known Member

I'm not surprised that you would wish to avoid confronting facts that readily destroy your unsupportable bias.

You had opined,

"From what I see, the most trashed group is the Christians. It's because it happens in almost every single thread here."

Neither of your statements are true.

If you actually wish to pretend that Christians are trashed in almost every single thread by six atheists, who are they, and how do they insinuate their persecution into thousands of threads as you claim?

I'm not trying to get you flustered. I'm just exposing your hysterical post's considerable remove from reality.

25. usfan

usfan Banned

same here. before the web, irc & usenet were the media for discussions. Irc was good for typing practice! I'm still amazed at how fast some of those guys could type out a response.. almost before i got mine entered, their response was already there! :)
    I tended to gravitate toward usenet, as it was a forum where i could ponder a response for a while. These new fangled web forums are almost like a hybrid between irc & usenet. :oldman: