Chevy Volt explodes 3 weeks after crash test

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by GiveUsLibertyin2012, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

If Obama were not subsidizing the Volt by $7,500 per car I wouldn't care if they all blew up.

But any flaw in this turkey reflects back on the government that spawned it.

2. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Better the money going to American products than overseas to the Lbyan rebels or something else IMO.

I like GM, and hope they can make this work, and I have realistic expectations of making perfection. 20 or 2000 years from now , our vehicles will still have a percentage of chance to fail...perfection is simply not attainable in anything.

3. theunbubba

theunbubba Well-Known Member Past Donor

Golly, You mean they didn't learn anything from the cellphone/laptop industry when they decided to make batteries out of Lithium? Stupid is as stupid does!

4. xsited1

xsited1 New Member

I bet Hollywood will buy thousands of them for stunts. They won't even have to load them with explosives.

5. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Are you telling us that the money is just burning a hole in Obama's pocket and he's going to blow it on something if not the Chevy Volt?

We don't HAVE to do either you know.

6. RichT2705

I think we both know that to be the case. Spend..spend...spend...when you run out..time to cry about "revenue shortfalls".

Knowing this to be the case...I dont complain when it's going to something I can live with. Give me some American cars...some Aircraft Carriers...a Space Program, and I wont make a peep. Waste it on donations to Libyan Rebels, and Illegal Aliens and I'll crow like a rooster.

Of course we dont have to. No argument there...but like I mentioned above, it will go somewhere. Lets at least let it be spent on something that might help us. Much of the world is looking at Electric cars, we should have some kind of entries into this market.

Personally I dont want one, I like my traditional Gas V8's, so I have no skin in the game...but I can see where we as an Industry dont want to fall behind again.

7. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

That may be alright for you but not me.

I can't live with giving away my money to Obama's pet car company or libs who buy the Chevy Volt for $7,500 less that it costs.

8. RichT2705

Obamas pet car company???

It's GM for crying out loud, an American Icon... and one of the "last" Industries where America actually makes anything these days.

Who wants this to fail just to point a stick at Obama?? Why would America as an industrial nation mean so little to you?

Thats a little too much blind partisanship for this Conservative.

9. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

The government still owns 27% of GM.

And the pro Obama UAW owns 17%.

Oh goodness, don't be such a drama queen.

I would like to see GM succeed as a private company not the corporate lapdog of a fascist strongman like Obama.

Take off the $7,500 gift to GM and Volt buyers and I will not be complaining about whatever GM chooses to build and sell.

10. RichT2705

Which tells me that if it fails, guess who gets to make up the slack Mac. Government doesnt have money of it's own...so it's up to us. Im hoping it succeeds.

Well we'll have to disagree here. They're trying to launch a new product, and as such incentives are offered. It happens across the board everywhere , not just GM.

You can go into any dealership in America today and find somekind of incentives to buy a product. If we didnt offer some kind of incentive, people would be railing about how GM misses the boat on buisiness sense.

Im the drama queen? Geez man....I dont care for Obama much either, and I complain about him plenty...but this is just silly.

11. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Then don't question my patriotism just because I disagree with you on policy.

Not incentives paid for by the federal government meaning the taxpayers.

How about government incentives for every stupid thing that government thinks we should do?

I know there is too much of that already in the tax code but if we do not push back it will just get worse rather than better.

This creeping economic fascism - which is what a privately owned but government managed economy is - has got to stop.

12. RichT2705

I don't think I ever did Mac. If something I said sounded that way to you..then I apologize, it was unintended. We simply disagree...no harm in that.

Most of the time you and I end up on the same page...sometimes we wont. :)

as i said before, I like GM and want them to succeed. We already lost Pontiac, and the Trans Am, which was one of my personal favorites..I dont want Chevy going the same route. No issue on incentives from me.

13. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I apologize too.

I'm very committed to American manufacturing.

I like GM too.

My favorite driver of all time is A.J. Foyt and he always drove Chevy's.

So was the Chaparral race cars built right here in Texas by Jim Hall, powered by Chevrolet.

Nor do I blame GM for becoming a captive of Obama.

But I will not buy another GM until they are no longer owned by the federal government.

Ford is proudly and privately owned car company who also deserves our support too.

14. RichT2705

Absolutely Mac, I like Ford as well. I only buy American cars, I've tried to steer my wife that way as well...but she still isn't 100% on board yet. I'm making headway though, when we were dating many years ago...she wouldnt even think of buying one...now she drives a Dodge ram.

We do still have her Suzuki XL-7 around though as my Chevy is not really for Winter driving...but Im working on that one. MIght trade it in on a Ford SUV...saw one go by that looked about the same size, and was nice looking. Think it was the Edge?

15. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

My sister has an Edge and she really likes it.

16. RichT2705

Nice, going to look into one. Hopefully this season, but I have extended myself a bit...so I might HAVE to milk that Suzuki another year, we will see. :mrgreen:

17. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Good luck.

And about the Volt it really is just the government subsidy that I object to.

I think some day we will have batteries that are much, much better than now.

Or some other power source that is better than fossil fuels.

So it isn't that I refuse to change.

But I want the free market to decide when we must change not some stupid bureaucrat in Washington who couldn't cut it in the private sector.

18. Guest2

Guest2 Banned

1. It was an isolated incident as the rest of the article points out.

2. How you people can blame this on Obama is beyond me.

19. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

According to this bunch of Right Wing losers, the sun rising in the east is "Obama's fault"!

20. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Banned

Sounds more like an Escape.

You probably knoiw this, but the XL7 is essentially a Chevy Tracker with a third-row seat, built by a joint GM-Suzuki partnership.

21. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Hmmm seems everyone ignored the previous post about this

House fire spurs Duke Energy to stop electric car charging across NC

MOORESVILLE, NC (WBTV) - A house fire in Lake Norman is attracting national attention.

Teams from the federal government and from some of the nation's biggest companies are on the scene wanting to find out the cause.

It's what was in the garage that has investigators concerned.

Investigators are trying to find out if an electric car charging station is to blame.

On Tuesday, Duke Energy announced that it's asking its customers participating in an electric cars pilot program to stop using their home's electric charging station while the blaze is being investigated.....

Right now it's advising those customers to stop charging their vehicles at home - just to be on the safe side."

So much for the utility of the thing, you have to go somewhere and let it sit for at least 4 hours to get a charge.

22. Silhouette

Silhouette New Member

Back when the automobile replaced the horse and buggy, there were many bugs to work out. Safety issues of all sorts popped up. Many people were killed driving the new "dangerous" "enemy of the horse".

Which one won? Oh, that would be the automobile. How many people outside the Amish do you know who drive a horse and buggy to work and back each day?

Electric cars are here to stay. People have been using electric golf carts and other electric vehicles for a long time now. There's just really nothing that can be done about it except to invest accordingly, have new manufacturers carry a good insurance policy and trudge ahead fine-tuning improvements. Just like back when the Model T made its debut..

23. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Government stayed out of it and let the market take care of it.

Since before liquid fueled vehicles. As you asked "which one won"?

Go right ahead and invest all of YOUR money you want to invest in it.

xsited1 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Did the government give citizens taxpayer money to pay for the new cars and help the industry get going?

Of course not.

But Obama is bribing citizens to buy electric cars.

Or, did the government shoot all the horses so that people would be forced to buy one of the new fangled automobiles?

Again no.

But Obama and the libs are doing what they can to raise the price of gasoline and make gasoline unobtainable so the citizens will be forced into electric cars or better yet public transportation.

It's the Obama centrally controlled economy run by pinhead bureaucrats in Washington that people object to.

Not alternative energy or electric cars in a free market.

25. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Classic right-wing reactionism. Electric cars are here to stay. Oil is not, no matter how much you wish that finite resource was infinitely, and cheaply, available. But hey, if you're happy to continue relying on 19th century technology feel free to do so for as long as you're able. The rest of the world will be leaving you in the dust.