Gun Related Deaths In America 2012

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Makedde, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpotsCat

SpotsCat New Member Past Donor

The only one who is unhappy is you, and I suspect that's because your pet theory has been disproven by real-world situations.

Allow me to present you with this --

[​IMG]

Since you just got your ass handed to you, here's a nice silver platter to carry it on.

:)

Archer0915 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Not even an imaginative try. I'm the only one that has referred to the empirical evidence. You've just got bland spurious relationship. You haven't even got a reservation level of humour applied to it. Shame on you for that!

3. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

So it was just your opinion then.

You have been relying on experience or observation alone often without due regard for system and theory and that is fail.

4. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

No, its correct application of the scientific approach when confronted with multiple variables. The only interesting aspect (only marginally mind you) is how you don't realise that.

5. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Go back and read empirical def please.

6. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

It's youropinion based on your interpretation of the 'evidence'

7. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

No, go and read some empirical evidence on this topic! Actually join the debate. Now I've received basic literature review skills, but that doesn't give me an advantage. There is absolutely no excuse for not knowing how these studies are constructed

8. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Nope. I've simply referred to their conclusions. That they don't agree with your bias is a shame. Golly, I'm all teary eyed so I am!

9. LoneStrSt8

LoneStrSt8 New Member Past Donor

I have a bias and you don't.....hmmmmm You've been shown that oft times their 'conclusions' aren't worth the paper they're printed on,but you dismiss ANY and all evidence givent to you as the rsults of our 'bias'

10. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Nope. Maintaining objectivity isn't difficult if one doesn't have a dogma to protect.

I dismiss drivel and celebrate the empirical approach. Basic literature reviewing for you

11. SpotsCat

So how 'bout applying what you've learned?

You have posited repeatedly that a reduction in the number of firearms leads to a reduction in the number of deaths. Fair enough.

We know that Australia has imposed new laws that make it more difficult for the average citizen (or criminal) to obtain a firearm, consequently, we should see a drop in not only the number of firearm deaths, but the overall homicide rate as well.

But in the study conducted by the Australian Institute of Criminology, we see that that isn't the case - while the number of firearm homicides has declined, the overall number of homicides has remained fairly consistent.

This leads most of us to believe that because of their firearms legislation, our friends Down Under have merely discovered different ways of killing each other - ways that don't involve usage of firearms.

In your own words - not merely parroting some study, but taking what you've learned and applying it - how do you explain this?

12. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Always do.

Get it right now. I've referred to the empirical evidence and how it shows gun control has led to a reduction in death rates. You've replied, after I forced you into it, with spurious relationship. Basically you're saying "yeah but, yeah but, guns isn't the only crime variable". Golly, no study suggests otherwise!

13. SpotsCat

Quit obfuscating and answer the questions if you can.

14. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

Your blagging won't help you. You realise of course your error and you also realise that I herded you towards that error. The rest is fluff as you try to hide from the reality: you can't show that guns and knives are substitutes in the crim data and you cannot dismiss the empirical evidence into the success of the gun control measure

15. SpotsCat

How the Australians murder each other is of no consequence - whether they use guns, knives, bludgeons, garrottes, stinky tennis shoes, or corn flakes.

You've commented that you "...referred to the empirical evidence and how it shows gun control has led to a reduction in death rates" but in this instance it doesn't.

That fact remains valid and unassailable, and you either cannot or will not comment on why it does, because to do so would be tantamount to admitting that your precious economic modeling theories are wrong in this instance. Either that, or else you are incapable of independent thought and commentary, and are unable to find a study that could possibly explain and/or refute the Australian criminology report.

However, allow me to present you with this nice tea set to go with the silver platter you were recently given --

[​IMG]

16. Thinker

Thinker New Member

There is no link between knives and guns, however there is a link between gun laws and crimes commited by knives.

17. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Well both are manufactured:)
    Both generally use metal in construction.
    Both can be used as tools.
    Both can be used as a weapon.

18. Thinker

Thinker New Member

Thank you, Archer.

19. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

You are very welcome.

Reiver is just having an anal spell and when he is like this you could hit him with the truth and put him in the hospital and unless it was his truth he would deny it happened.

20. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Reiver:

I hope you can find your flawed logic in this. You (to my knowledge) have done nothing in this thread but present nothing and claim it is evidence but you have not even given a source for your opinion.

Now go lick your wounds and come back with a brain and some backup please.

21. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

This isn't supportable. The empirical evidence, as has already been illustrated, finds that gun control reduces overall death rates. You might not like the evidence, but it isn't cunning to ignore it

22. Reiver

Reiver Well-Known Member

I don't have any. Its obvious that, due to multiple vaiables impacting on crime rates, we need to refer to quantitative approaches capable of isolating gun effects. You are simply avoiding the empirical evidence because of ideological limitation.

Interesting you added 'to my knowledge'. I'd assume that you know that's a clear fib. Indeed, the previous exchange on here has been about Australian gun control effects. Only one person has referenced an empirical study that tests these effects. Guess who?

23. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Where? Link please.

24. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

http://www.aic.gov.au/en/statistics/homicide.aspx

Government study but you will say it means nothing because your opinion means more. Arrogance; the brain killer!

25. Thinker

Thinker New Member

What evidence! Come on your not putting any. And you have to admit that knife crimes and misc weap. crimes will rise if there are gun laws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.