Civil disobedience and the age of consent

Discussion in 'Law & Justice' started by Beppo, Nov 11, 2011.

1. scott3211

scott3211 New Member

Throughout history there have been unjust laws, such as persecution on the grounds of skin color, sexuality or religion. These laws were unjust ...

2. Dschaffer92

Dschaffer92 New Member

Ok I think jumping onto the pedophile train is a little excessive right off the bat. None of us even know the original posters situation or if they are just asking a question that doesn't even directly affect them. I'm not saying we should lower the age of consent or anything like that, I think its quite appropriate as is, but I can understand frustrations when an individual thats 16 or 17 wants to be with someone 18 or 19.

In an attempt to answer the original question, I would say that this "unjust law" as you put it is not one to test or spend your time oppenly opposing. There have been a number of scientific and psychological studies proving that in most individuals the brain is not developed enough to make these decisions until around the age of 18 (its actually not until mid 20s that its fully developed depending on sex and individual growth). In the end however, 18 is what was agreed upon for a number of reasons, and that ever getting lowered is very unlikely.

3. Sab

Sab Active Member

As usual the brain dead conservatives do not understand what Pedophilia is. It is specifically being attracted to prepubescents. It is the norm for men to be attracted to females as soon as they are sexually mature, it is not normal for men to be attracted to non sexually mature females. There may be good reasons for restricting sexual mature minors from having sexual relations but pedophilia it isn't.

Normal heterosexual men who claim they are not attracted to 14-17 year old girls are lying through their teeth. Being attracted and realising that relationships with teens is a bad idea, for many reasons is what normal mature adults realise. Such realtionships are better dealt with by court separation orders and counselling.

4. DevilMayhem666

DevilMayhem666 Member

Age laws are very flawed. I feel that once someone finishes middle school and puberty should be able to consent to sex. Seeing as how IQ reaches maturity at 15 or 16 high-schooler should capable of giving meaningful consent.

5. Sab

Sab Active Member

This is why consent laws are at 15/16 in most of Europe. High school age is a better cut off point which I beleive in the US is about 13/14

Err on caution and make 14 the age of consent

6. DevilMayhem666

DevilMayhem666 Member

No, I think 16 is about right as that is the time they can make give informed medical descions as studies have shown.

Though 14 and 15 should understand what sex is and it's consequences. If a 14 or 15 year old had sex with a 8 year old they would be charged with a sex crime. Thus fooling around with 14 and 15 years should be a misdemeanor.