will you loose your social security check if your state secedes?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by trucker, Nov 15, 2012.

1. legojenn

legojenn New Member

There are many expats getting pension payouts from the country of their citizenship. Why would that someone cease to be entitled to their social security just because they live in a place that is no longer part of the US? Those of working age might not be contributing to their US Social Security any more, but they shouldn't be denied what they have earned.

Secondly, secession movements take time, so it's doubtful that anyone who is an adult today will see a state secede from the US. The Quebec secession movement has been going on since the 1960s, and if anything is moving away from their due to the incompetence of the movement. European movements have been going on longer than that. I would assume that the Scottish and Basques have been trying to get out of their countries forever.

2. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Really? Wall Street is waaaay up since I started contributing when I was 16 years old.

But, I have been investing in Gold, Property, etc... and I have done far far far far better than the less than 2% that The Government gets.

You may wish to check out what the City of Galveston, TX has done since they hit a loophole, opted out, and have had boom returns for their retirees. You see, that is real world instead of some Liberal Fantasy land.

3. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

Well Real Estate always wins, that is a no brainer, and Gold is doing well now, years ago that wasn't the case.

Now what did Galveston opt out of.

4. Really People?

Really People? New Member

5. Alwayssa

Alwayssa Well-Known Member

But they did take your money because the SS taxes were imosted on you either through wages or through the SE tax on your return.

6. Consmike

Consmike New Member Past Donor

Not a government hand out if the government confiscated your money while you worked and you want it back when you retire.

7. Archer0915

Archer0915 New Member

Actually that would depend. If they had dual citizenship then they would get paid. There again they could ask for reparations.

8. Really People?

Really People? New Member

Meh...

I suspect that there would be exceptions...