Geithner: 'Privilege of Being an American' Is Why Rich Need Higher Taxes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MolonLabe2009, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

Geezus Christ...how often do we have to post the information that the top 5% of earners pay nearly 59% of income tax collected?
    http://ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income-taxes.html
    It's become a leftist fetish to try and convince people that the rich need to be taxed even more.

We don't have a revenue problem...we have a desperate spending problem and if Obama and his winged monkeys cared a fraction as much about living within their means as trying to tax rich people (already shouldering their fair share), the nation would be far better off. And leftists would seem less whiny and rapacious.

2. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm sorry, did you have a relevant point about my post you wanted to make?

But we most definitely do have a revenue problem, which is part of the deficit problem.

3. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

I'm sorry. Did you have a relevant point about my post that you wanted to make?

Everyone that burns their economic bridges and lives far beyond their
    abilities to manage their income has a revenue problem. Everyone!

The basic elementary problems of money in being exceeded by money going out are the same for the United States Government as they are for some unemployed young woman with a dozen maxed out credit cards and a spending habit she can't break.
    But that problem (of one's own makings) can be best addressed by curbing spending (the simplest and most effective way of dealing with it) and as long as leftists ignore this truth, and continue their addiction to other people's money the problem will never go away.

It is morally and economically reprehensible for the left to continue to lie about this matter. But they seem to know nothing else.

Ethereal and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Iriemon

Not really.

5. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

Little Timmy's seen the code AND knows exactly what HE needs to do to screw us over with his fraud.

Scumbag.

6. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

No, it doesn't seem so.

7. Iriemon

Did you have anything relevant to the discussion you wanted to add?

If you just wanted to rant about irrelevant issues there is no need to quote my post.

8. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

Hey that's my thing here ...:nod:

9. Iriemon

LOL, fair enough, we all do it on occassion.

10. JIMV

JIMV Well-Known Member Past Donor

Apparently the lefts parasites have nothing to contribute under this new rule..

11. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

C'mon! Grow up. The subject is Geithner wanting to tax the rich more and that's the issue I addressed.

Then you butted in with your superior airs and attitudes...I can only assume you are unable to refute basic economic laws and truths, so why the dismissive nonsense?

12. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

13. Iriemon

Check the record. I was responding to a post by HB surfer *you* butted in on.

He said "Was it my son's privilege to inherit the massive debt you authoritarian statists created?"

To which I replied "Gee, it is rare you hear conservatives calling Reagan and Bush authoritarian statists" because proportionately they were the two biggest creaters of the massive debt.

What your rant about a "spending problem" has to do with that I still haven't figured out.

14. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Funny how it's never cuts to the money wasted on illegal Aliens, or Aid to the world. Always threatening to remove some of the return on investment from the actual citizen sponsors, to keep giving it to the undeserving. I dont support raising taxes on anyone, even by 1 cent until they stop wasting much of the money they have.

15. Heroclitus

Heroclitus Well-Known Member

Americans do pay tax for the privilege of being Americans. Most countries determine tax liability based on residency: if you don't live in your country, you don't generally pay tax there, especially on income you earn outside the country. US passport holders are liable for federal tax wherever they live, even if they derive their income wholly overseas and consume no services in the USA (never go there). You pay tax on your passport. You pay for the privelege of being American. It has always been like that.

16. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I thought that you people believed in the exceptionalism of the rich.
    Who better limns the American dream than the rich?

17. Unifier

Unifier New Member

If the privilege is being American, then why is it only the rich that are being targeted? Doesn’t every American have that same privilege? That doesn’t even make sense.

18. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Privilege my ass. I was granted the RIGHT of being an American by birth, regardless of my wealth and social status.

19. Lowden Clear

Lowden Clear Well-Known Member Past Donor

Geithner doesn't believe that being born in this country gives one the right of citizenry. Privileges are given or granted. He uses that word to set up the idea that what one has can be taken away. A common leftist tactic. I'd say most of the left thinks that rights are granted. That's why they are always trying to invent new rights.

20. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Pandering to "American privilege" while working for an administration hell bent on marginalizing "American privilege" with open borders, DREAM acts, and amnesty for illegals....

strikes me as absurdly duplicitous, little Timmy.

21. Iriemon

As a general rule, any taxes owed on foreign income is offset by foreign taxes paid.

22. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Us? Who is us?

23. Iriemon

Repost from another thread:

IMO, a progressive tax is "fair" for two main reason. One is the relative burden of a tax, and the second is the quid pro quo for being able to obtian great wealth.
    As to the first, as I've posted many times before, a tax is more burdensome on a poor person than a rich. A 20% tax on a family living on $20,000 means they go without basic necessities. A 40% tax on a family earning $20 million means they buy a smaller mega-yacht and maybe a few less houses.

Thus, is is not "fair" to impose the same level of tax on a poor family that must give up necessities to benefit a rich family with more luxuries.

As to the second, capitalism is a great engine of innovation and economic growth that works by providing fabulous rewards to those who provide what the market wants. These rewards incentive work, effort, and risk taking that provides innovation and efficiency. We should not destroy that element.

The problem with capitalism is that it does not give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about people who, because of age, infirmity, illness, mental condition or just temporary market conditions, do not have market value that provides a basic level of subsistence. Capitalism doesn't care if they starve to death or bleed to death because they couldn't afford health insurance. Capitalism is only interested in profit. Capitalism doesn't care if our skies and waters and beaches are polluted or that our resources are mismanaged or that the unprotected are abused. Capitalism just cares about profit.

"Leftists" like me recognize that profit and incentive are important and need to be maintained for an effective economy. But we also believe people have a value that is not simply based upon the current market value for their skills or services. We recognize that clean air and water have values over just profit margins. We like the fact that hordes of the aged or infirm or temporarily down on their luck are not living under freeways begging for food at stoplights, that our air and water are cleaner, that workers and investors and consumers have some basic rights and protections against sweatshops and ripoff and frauds, that people don't bleed to death outside a hospital because they don't have health care coverage, and that a little boy doesn't have to forego education because his parent is too poor. And so we believe that society is enhanced when you provide social programs and regulations that limit some of the defects of laizzes-faire capitalism.

And so in our view, to have an optimal system for Americans, we have system that provides tremendous wealth and rewards for production and adding economic benefit, but as quid pro quo for living in a society that provides this benefit, the quid pro quo is that you share a portion of it for systems that apply to the benefit of others so they have the same opportunity, or at least a marginally decent standard of living. And a benefit to all is we don't have to see grannie living in a cardboard box under the freeway.

And that is a fair deal, in my mind.

24. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Because many of the rich pay less % than some lower income. Those who make a living by trading stocks and assest only pay 15% at most. Then with all the loop holes some get near 0. Corps and their loop holes some pay 0. So all that is really being asked is close the loop holes, change the captial gains rates, especially if captial gains is a large percentage of ones income.

Is that too much????

25. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

Bush's last year of spending with a Republican controlled Congress, $2,729 trillion. [deficit $160.7 billion]

obama's last year of spending with a Democrat controlled congress, $3603 trillion. [deficit $1,299 trillion]

Increase from Bush= 33.44% [increase in deficit under obama, 809%]

Total increase in national debt, including interest in 8 years of Bush both with a Republican Congress and a Democrat Congress, $4.899 trillion.

Total increase in national debt in 3 years of obama with a Democrat Congress, $4,789 trillion

Difference, debt increase 267% faster under the completely stupid and incompetent obama.