Post your tough questions for an Atheist/Agnostic.

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by tecoyah, Dec 31, 2016.

1. yardmeat

yardmeat Well-Known Member

So . . . centuries of slavery and infanticide were necessary to pave the way for a 3 year visit from an extraterrestrial? This is, again, why I prefer reason to unquestioning obedience to a book.

2. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

The Old T God wasn't a soppy lefty social worker, so if primitives deserved getting hit, he culled them out for the betterment of the human race as a whole..:)
    PS- I'm the same on the computer wargame circuit, I order my tank crews to stand off and obliterate a village with sustained cannon fire, then let the infantry go in to mop up because the enemy pose little threat if they're mush..:)

3. yardmeat

yardmeat Well-Known Member

So, either kill and curse kids and otherwise punish them for the sins of others, or you are a "left social worker"? Enslave an entire race because their ancestor looked at their other ancestor while he was naked . . . or you are a "lefty social worker"? Jesus was far more of a lefty social worker than I am, far more. And any God who commands such evil is completely indistinguishable from a demon. I can't imagine being so inimical to reason and basic morality that I have to pretend it is politically partisan in order to try to make it go away.

How can anyone pose any threat at all to God? He's supposed to be kinda without limits and stuff.

4. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

A man's gotta do...
    For example Truman nuked Japan twice and Churchill and Ike demolished Germany.
    If everybody had refused to fight, the japs woud be ruling America now, and the nazis would be in charge of Europe..;)

"When I look round to see how we can win the war I see that there is only one sure path...and that is absolutely devastating, exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland"
    -Winston Churchill July 1940

"Give me a man who'll fight!"
    -Pres Roosevelt (looking for a commander to stop Japanese expansion after Pearl Harbor .He found one in Adm. Chester Nimitz)

"If you don't like to fight, I don't want you around. You'd better get out before I kick you out"- Gen George Patton

Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' page 114-
    "On the 21st of May 1940 a noteworthy event occurred to the north of us: English tanks attempted to break through in the direction of Paris.
    At Arras they came up against the SS Division Totenkopf which had not been in action before and which showed signs of panic"

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over"
    -William Tecumseh Sherman

"My pistol made contact with the mans face as I fired"-
    -Young cavalry officer Winston Churchill as his unit charged into muslim troops near Omdurman

5. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

Jesus added over two dozen new laws to Moses' 613. He even made thinking a crime.

6. William Rea

William Rea Well-Known Member

No, it means that I don't care particularly about the patently fantastical theological assertions of the religious too much but, when they make patently incorrect assertions without evidence and in spite of the evidence, they need to be told about it. If often matters not much to them either because often, when you do correct them they just wait a while and then repeat what they asserted anyway, like you never showed them their error.

7. William Rea

So, in summary...

You don't know therefore 'gods'.

Atheists don't know therefore they are 'retarded'.

Got you, and in the end, that is all you have isn't it? A bit of personal credulity mixed with a hint of Pascal's wager and, a straw man of atheism mixed with a generally directed personal attack on atheism.

Did you have a tough question?

8. William Rea

So, in summary...

You don't know therefore 'gods'.

Atheists don't know therefore they are 'retarded'.

Got you, and in the end, that is all you have isn't it? A bit of personal credulity mixed with a hint of Pascal's wager and, a straw man of atheism mixed with a generally directed personal attack on atheism.

Did you have a tough question?

9. see you next tuesday

see you next tuesday Active Member

As a UK atheist i would like to argue the idea that atheists and agnostics are the same when talking about god.

I'd like to use the words of a certain Jim Jefferies who, when referring to agnostics said....

" a group of people who don't get enough stick IMO....agnostics, those f##king wishy washy f##ks" :0)

10. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

This post has nothing to do with what I said. Essentially this is just you ranting about how stupid religious people are for believing in something like god.

My question is why is it so important to you to state nonsense that is not the least bit relevant to the question I asked.

It's almost like a compulsion. Tecoyah covered away from my question, and your blathering about how you are super atheist man to the rescue with your rationale.

My question is why do you do that? Not why ate you atheist, I could care less why your atheist.

11. William Rea

Wow, you read all that into my simple post? I'm not responsible for your baggage I'm afraid but it is interesting that you can extrapolate this but you cannot extrapolate that I care about believing as many evidentially accurate things as I can and that i believe that acceping those things means that we maximise honest and open societies.

You'll note that I did not say anyone was stupid, mistaken and misguided maybe but, that didn't stop you attributing that to me did it?

If you can come up with a response on anything that i actually said, I'll respond later when I can get to my PC.

12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have a strong suspicion that as you speak to those who know you well, your style turns them off.

I will explain something to you.

Notice my manners.

I don't go off telling you what you said. i do not even pass judgment on your comments.

You on the other hand believe your right is to paraphrase me or even make things up a if i had said such things.

I'm not only tired, but fighting a kind of milder form of bronchitis. Naturally feeling not well, i should not even post.

I realize in trying to explain GOD, particularly to atheists, since we are on far distant wavelengths, communication with atheists is almost impossible.

Atheists are more than non believers, they actually think they know something.
    When i attempt to discuss the universe with them, they get that blank stare and simply can't have a conversation.
    i hope to feel better tomorrow and maybe then we can try again if you stop trying to talk for me.

13. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

The people loved him to bits for freeing them from the snooty priests mind control..:)
    "And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12 :37)
    In "Escape from Alcatraz", Clint Eastwood blows the socks off his convict pals when he coolly announces "I think I know a way outta here", and naturally they're all ears and eagerly want to hear his plan because none of them is dumb enough to say "Nah,not interested!"
    Likewise here we are trapped in this prison we call a world, but Jesus tells us "God has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners...to release the oppressed" (Luke 4:18 )
    and people quickly cottoned on..:)
    "Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Peter 1:18 )

[​IMG]

14. help3434

help3434 Member

Present God everything in the universe was determined at the moment of creation. Where do you get free will?

15. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Now you are beginning to see the flaw in your logic. Clearly the Jews did not believe Jesus's miracles happened.

16. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

The ordinary Jewish people did..:)
    It was only the snooty priests who refused to believe because he'd been badmouthing them for years with stuff like- "You're the offspring of snakes...you're hellbound and want to take as many with you as you can...prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you...you're full of filth and morally corrupt" etc.

17. Questerr

Questerr Banned

So why didn't the ordinary Jews convert en masse Christianity?

18. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Many did..:)-
    "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25), and he pulled crowds of over 5000 and 4000 at two gigs alone (Matt 14:13, Matt 15:32)
    "And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12 :37)
    Of course, there were the usual sheep who were under the control of the snooty priests and looked to them for guidance. Jesus called it- "The blind leading the blind" (Matt 15:14)

19. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Except they didn't. We have zero evidence outside of the Gospels confirming any large conversions of Jews during that time period.

20. Hawkins

Hawkins Active Member

What evidence do you have for any, I mean any, events occurred 2000 years ago?

At some point you have to trust what other humans wrote, or you have no history.

21. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Trusting single sources is problematic at best. Especially if they are making outrageous claims.

22. Polydectes

Polydectes Well-Known Member

You're carrying on about things thst aren't the least bit relevant to the question I asked

23. Hawkins

Hawkins Active Member

What multiple sources do you have for any human history older than 2000 years?

Let me give you an example, Jewish historian Josephus ever wrote several history books about the Jews 2000 years ago. Now please go through the books section by section then tell us how many sections totally are supported by multiple sources, and how many are not?

24. William Rea

Communication is a two way thing, you have a sender and a receiver, both can be at fault. You seem to believe that you have some kind of moral high ground here and yet, your posts routinely hurl general insults at atheists, my paraphrase effectively reflected what you said. You think that because you are throwing your insults at atheists it makes them any more acceptable? I don't care if you respond to my posts much, all you seem to be doing is spoiling for a fight anyway.

25. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Not all of them are. I would simply blindly trust Josephus on them either, especially given that there are likely forgeries in other segments of his work.

Should I trust Homer that Achilles was a divine being?