Will Trump get his Wall?

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Ronstar, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Will Trump get his Wall?

1. Nope

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yep

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Maybe a little bit, but mostly fencing not a "wall".

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump promises a wall on most of the Mexican border, paid for by Mexico.

Many say this simply won't happen. Maybe lots of fences instead. But no big giant massive wall.

What say you? Will Trump's wall get built?

2. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

I heard Don say on TV that some sections of the wall will be a fence. Good for him, a fence is cheaper than a big wall monstrosity anyway.
    As for funding, I bet he'll pay for the fence/wall himself if he has to..:)

3. ellesdee

ellesdee Well-Known Member

There will be greater security at the border, but I doubt it will be a full-blown wall, and in no way will Mexico be paying for it. I really hope you all knew that was just rhetoric from the start.

The cost to build and maintain will be an absolute obscenity. It also will do very little to prevent illegal immigration.

4. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

1- Maybe Don will get money out of the Mexican Govt in some other way, like taxing certain items.

2- There's an old military saying- "An obstacle not covered by fire is not an obstacle", and the same will apply to the fence/wall. I'm not talking about machine-gun watchtowers but rather the wall/fence will stop invaders simply walking or driving in, therefore giving the Border Patrol time to swoop if they try cutting their way through.

5. ellesdee

I do think it will help a little, but not enough to be worth the cost.

6. Programmer

Programmer New Member

Somehow these all defy logic. "In no way" you say about Mexico's role in financing. You presume Mexico has no benefit in dealing with the US and lacks any interest in the least compromise. Nothing supports that.
    How is the cost to build or maintain border fencing or a wall obscene? Since when are walls and fences non-standard ways of protecting a border or any other property? How will they do very little, possibly, vs an open border plan conceived before the automobile? What makes you feel that these contradictions of reality are plausable?

7. ellesdee

I think Mexico has done quite well from illegal immigration over the years.

It's a huge border, and of course the fence will need to be maintained.

Because they are lots of ways to get around a wall. Getting around walls is very common in reality. There's no contradiction at all.

8. Ronstar

Ronstar Well-Known Member Past Donor

$25 billion wall?

thats a lot of pesos.

;)

9. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Congress already passed legislation to build 700 miles of the wall and G.W. Bush signed it into law.

FYI: Hillary also voted for the wall.

Now Obama might have been able not to uphold the oath of office and not enforce the laws of the land but after Trump takes the oath of office he has to build the wall, it's already the law of the land.

10. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ha! Fat chance on that happening.

11. Programmer

Programmer New Member

This is a massive oversimplification RE benefits of immigration. Mexico or (former)Mexicans? Do you see their economy or tax system as binding these interests together to the extent they do here?
    My take is that the US and the drug cartels compete with Mexico's aspirations toward having a Mexican civil society. Mexican leadership is aware of this. However, more than adversarial, Mexico benefits significantly from playing the roles the US suggests to them.

Because the border is huge, the cost of producing a wall does not become obscene. I suggest that this project costs $20-30 billion spread out over 10+ years. Is this really a lot of money in terms of US federal spending?

Because walls and fences can be circumvented does not mean that they aren't history's #1 tool for their purpose. What would make someone take the position that walls or fences don't work? Why do we build these things on our property? Why bother ring prisons with them?

https://www.longfence.com/content/3...t-how-giant-the-us-fencing-industry-really-is

12. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a rock-solid right wing Conservative, the answer is NO, a "wall" will not be built. Furthermore, it shouldn't be!

I've written about this so many times that my fingers almost bleed on the keyboard. The only intelligent, cost-effective, way to police the border is to put in strips of land mines right along the border, and to patrol it from the air using armed drones! We could (and should) put up signs and broadcast warnings telling everyone very plainly and directly that deadly force is being used to control the border, and that anyone who deliberately tries to illegally invade the United States will be fired on, or run the real danger of being blown up by a land mine. Hell, we could "fly" the drones from any military facility in the U. S. with satellite links... with no need to have thousands of American troops perched up on a "wall" in the broiling hot summer sun, or freezing their asses off in the surprisingly cold desert winters.

END OF PROBLEM -- at a mere fraction of the cost of building and maintaining a 50-foot high wall, running 1,550 miles, through the most hostile terrain in the North American continent....

13. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

That's right, BOTH Hillary and Barack voted to barricade the Southern Border, Bush signed the act, and now its time for Congress to fund it, and of course Trump has promised to collect the cost, via reimbursement, from Mexico.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/789885660819775488?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Congress fronts the money, then Mexico pays us back:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/817329823374831617?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

I guess the Left thought Trump and Pena-Nieto were going to hold some ceremony in advance where Mexico presents Trump with one of those big sweepstakes checks?

Hilarious!

We will collect the cost from Mexico, either through trade adjustments or from impounding some remittances sent to Mexico by illegals in the U.S. Parts of “the wall” have already been built over the past 10 years via the fencing that’s gone up along different parts of the border.

Congress doesn’t need to pass a new law authorizing the wall because the law it passed in 2006 creating a border fence already gives him the power he needs to build it, and both Hillary and Barack voted for it. Appropriations bills are must-pass bills; even if Chuckles wanted to filibuster, he wouldn’t be able to do it forever. Given the realities of 2018, he might not be able to mount a filibuster in the first place. There are plenty of red-state Democrats whose seats are up in two years who’ll be nervous about blocking the border wall.

But border hawks maybe want Congress to have to vote on the wall:

However, some immigration hard-liners have already expressed the desire to see Congress take a vote given how prominent the wall was during Trump’s presidential campaign, and their desire to act on the issue.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/05/trump-may-pursue-border-wall-without-new-bill.html

Trump's going to build the wall: MEXICO is going to pay for it!

14. HailVictory

HailVictory Banned at Members Request

Pretty sure he said something or the other about getting Congress to finance the Wall. And he also was sorta going back and forth on it too. Basically, he doesn't know what he's doing ;).

15. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

Trump will start a weekend after he is re-sign.

The wall will happens for my best and Trump.

USA pay 10 or 20 billion Dollar for the wall next to Mexico.

30 or 70 percentage and I can not remember how many miles within 30/70 percentage.

16. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

Well, we can be sure that Mexico ain't gonna pony up one thin centavo for it... :roflol:

[​IMG]

17. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

Not to reduce in military if we don't get the wall in north border.

I maybe will regular Army then 1.800.000 reserve force soldiers.

Or new war with today formation in Armed Forces if not that wall.

Then Elizabeth Warren next president replace Mr Trump outland's war.

18. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

I am no sure if wall are correckly idea.

A outland's war how are Trump wants.

Then Warren will replace Trump with that war.

Two scenarios. Really. Really. Really.

19. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

He could just ask for the secure fence act of 2006 to be implemented in its entirety then simply ask the a new bill to complete the rest of the fence be passed.

20. Hey Nonny Mouse

Hey Nonny Mouse Well-Known Member

Hi might build a wall - all that takes is enough spending and he's spending-happy. He sure as heck won't get Mexico to pay for it, though.

21. After Hours

After Hours Well-Known Member

Trump and the GOP will spend like drunken sailors, and the "fiscal conservatives" and "tea party patriots" won't say a damn word about it. You won't hear peep from those losers until there's another Democrat as president.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be amusing if Trump's minions had to fork over their welfare checks to fund their messiah's "YUGEE!" wall.

22. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

Well, they sure as hell ain't gonna pull that $25 billion from the Pentagon's budget, are they? :roflol: