European Union = Soviet Union?

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Luke Z, May 8, 2010.

1. Luke Z

Luke Z New Member

Former Soviet Dissident Vladimir Bukovksy fears that the European Union may become like the old Soviet Union in which a lot of ways it has.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM2Ql3wOGcU[/ame]

Also if you have more time here is a 42 minute movie going over the European Union in a little more detail with a hint of drama :p

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2699800300274168460#

Anyway here's another link:
    http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/865

So what do you guys think?

2. Communist Monkey

Communist Monkey New Member

There are several crucial differences between the former USSR and the European Union.

1. The Soviet Union had one political party and very little real democracy, while the EU has a variety of EU exclusive political parties from all ends of the political spectrum.
    2. The Soviet Union was centralized, all orders came in and out of Moscow and the RSFR, while the EU is heavily decentralized without even a real capital city or capital state.
    3. In the Soviet Union, the majority of people were white Russians, while in the EU, there is no large majority of people.
    4. The states within the EU function independently and are recognized as independent entities, while it has the opposite in the USSR.

All in all, I'm all for the EU, just as long as they have a democratic multi-party system.

3. Luke Z

Luke Z New Member

1)Germany had many political parties up to the last second that Hitler took total control, which means it really makes little differences.
    2) All of the European unions resolutions to vote on come out of Brussels and they have no time to debate, they vote on about 80 every time they are in session. Ergo, the politicians cannot read all legislation or even browse, their secretaries and volunteers have to do it and tell them how to vote.
    3)Race has absolutely Zero to do with any of this. Tell me how if you wish to insist.
    4)The states in the EU are exactly that states. Like in the United States only our federal leaders are elected in the U.S.

4. General Winter

General Winter Active Member

The USSR is back?Buy coffins before they rise in price,America[​IMG]!

5. Luke Z

Luke Z New Member

A government with similar governing style.

6. Whoosh

Whoosh New Member

Nah, he is just a conspiracy nut. You can find them everywhere.

7. Potap

Potap Well-Known Member

Vladimir Bukovksy have made a lot to disorganize the USSR. Now he tries to disorganize EU. It is very difficult to be unemployed. Thus he tries to find to himself any occupation. Using this logic one can find analogies between everything. For example I can find analogy between penguins and the USSR because both USSR and penguins have red color. The USSR had red flag, penguins have red noses. I'm already afraid for the future of penguins.

8. Luke Z

Luke Z New Member

Vladimir Bukovsky spent 12 years in Soviet prisons and labor camps. He apparently would care a lot about something like this. He also has been an author since 1979 and worked at universities. Money is not a problem for him.

Also they are comparing Government policy. Maybe in a world where comparing dirt to game boys you would be able to hold an intelligent argument to what is said instead of trying to discredit the author.

9. General Winter

In loony bin mostly. [​IMG]

10. Luke Z

Luke Z New Member

Well if you disagreed with gov. policies you were sent to the loony bin. Doesnt take much there :p

changed and (deleted member) like this.
  11. General Winter

But in the West every coo-coo is absolutely free,they even use political forums! [​IMG]

12. Potap

Potap Well-Known Member

And so what? All of us should kiss his feet for it? I know a guy which has spent 15 years in the Soviet prison. He should not kill a man.

I am pleased that Bukovksy has money and has no problems.

I should not discredit him. He has discredited himself many years ago. Actually now in Russia nobody is interested in him. Speaking fairly I thought that he has died a long time ago and I'm surprised that he is still alive. More of that he is still popular among western public.

13. Hushush

Hushush Banned

Never heard of the guy. Is he the lone star of Texas? He should consider himself lucky not to have been jailed in the buckle of the bible belt, they still have the death penalty down there:omg:

14. dead owl's eye

dead owl's eye New Member

he is abs-ly rihght