Germany -- The Bully of Europe.

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Dec 10, 2010.

1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

For starters, I still rememember that more than a couple of months ago I said that Germany was behaving like a bully in Europe. Some Germans were a bit offended (OK, there was only one, namely Volker ;)).

However, the last weeks numerous articles appeared in Der Spiegel about the issue.

'Are You Still Loyal to Europe?': Euro Crisis Damages Germany's Reputation

2. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Germany "pays in" more into the Euro economy than its neighbors. It would be logical therefore if Germany had more decisive weight than those neighbors. Will this create friction? Yes, but sometimes your money should talk too, not only your connections. (In my humble oppinion.)

3. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say?

Germany "pays in" into the European Central Bank ECB (the amount of reserves, Euros, it holds) for, I think, about 17%. Whilst e.g. France or Italy contribute, I think, respectively, about 14% and 13% -- Spain for about 8%.

However, "high trees catch a lot of wind" -- Germany is by far the biggest memberstate as well as in the number of inhabitants as in the size of it's economy. Isn't it normal that a bigger country carries more of the burden?

This doesn't mean that Germany has the right to impose her will, and all of a sudden tries to bully everyone around in the room.

4. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Note to all:

I wonder if that I make such horrible treads? Since almost not a single soul responds on them. I tought that when I moved them into the "Western Europe" section I would get more responses since a lot of the threads I make are about "Europe". In the past I posted them in the "Political Opinions and Believes" subsection -- that is (was?) "my" (favourite) subsection on the forum here. However, the amount of American weirdos overthere is staggering -- in essence those types don't come in the, what they call, "Y'rop" subforum. :mrgreen:

5. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Okay, maybe I am misunderstanding your word "bully". How does Germany "bully" its neighbors? And Germany is not the biggest EU member, quite a few are bigger than Germany, see France for example. Germany only has the most people and the strongest economy. (I understand many people disagree now, but still, Germany is THE legitimate state east of the Rhein, all other "countries" there are only monopoly games, designed to be little dogs just to bite up your feet.) Why should a member state such as Germany carry more burden just because it is bigger in SOME aspect? And if it does, then why shouldn't it get the extra privileges with the extra responsibilities? What do you mean by "bullying"?

6. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

The Hun did through economics what he couldn't do twice through wars of conquest. Conquered Europe.

Now they are flexing those economic muscles and let me guess.. Little Belgium is feeling the squeeze? I can understand your pain, and relish in it.

7. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Here is an American weirdo for you, right in the middle of the Wester Europe forum. :) :) :)

8. Plymouth

Plymouth New Member

Only on PF can a user be reprimanded for calling out, justly, "right-wing bigotry," while the very ethnic slur he was referencing remains unaltered...

Keep it up, Makedde -- you're a true gem if I've ever laid eyes upon one.

9. Volker

Volker New Member Past Donor

Germans are the most lovely people, who would never say something bad about their dear neighbours :mrgreen:

10. Volker

Unfortunately, there are still some misunderstandings in some EU countries about the European unification process.

That's why I propose the following 3-steps plan.

1) Berlin becomes the new European capital.
    2) German becomes the only official language in all EU countries.
    3) People, who call Germany a bully, get sent on a 5 year educational travel at environmentally friendly galleys.

11. Plymouth

Plymouth New Member

You guys have chilly winters. I don't think the Italians, Greeks, or Spaniards would be able to handle that.

12. austrianecon

austrianecon Banned

LMAO!

Berlin, Bonn or Bremen as der Hauptstadt (the capital) isn't a bad idea. Germany is the financial capitol of Europe until the UK joins.

13. Volker

Come on, even these spoiled Swedes can handle cold winters.

14. Volker

Vienna was the first choice, but after hearing "non", "no", "niente", "nej" for centuries, it will be Berlin.

15. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmmm, I'm not so sure about that...

List of Gross Domestic Products in EU metropolitan areas

16. austrianecon

austrianecon Banned

Financial doesn't mean GDP. It means where capital flows in and out of on a daily basis. Germany is the no. 1 country in the EU. Frankfurt is the central point of this capital flow. The FSE (DAX and Xetra) market capitalization is $1.4 trillion dollars.

The Euronext encompasses 5 nations with $2.41 trillion market capitalization. For each country that's less then $500 million in market capitalization.

If the UK formally joins the EU, then London would be the financial center of the EU.

Viv and (deleted member) like this.
  17. tksensei

tksensei Banned

It's gonna be ugly when the EU finally falls apart...

Germany would be smart to get out now.

18. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Yes, that is what you yankees are hoping for isn't it. Fraida Europeean expansion.

Germany is not a bully, it is the brains of the outfit. If EU survives this crisis, German empire building is in a very good place.

19. tksensei

tksensei Banned

No it is not, quite the contrary. It just seems increasingly likely.

20. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

“To understand Europe, you have to be a genius - or French.” ~ Madeleine Albright.

Americans know next to nothing about the European Union...

The EU has been in crisis since 1957.

To translate this to an American perspective, this would be the year 1829.

21. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

As an American, I sooo agree with this.

As a side note, I would like to mention that all countries east and south of Germany would do well to blend in under German state administration (and language, the creation of those eastern countries was dubious to begin with).

If they don't like it, I would like to cheer them up with the fact that Bavarian beer is still the best in the world AND there is nothing healthier than Sauer Kraut.

22. Volker

In my opinion, Bavarian beer is excellent, but only if they brew it the Czech way. This is what they do in Northern Bavaria. If they do it the Southern Bavarian way with their wheat beer, this is not so good.

23. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Hmmm. Very interesting ... I think I will route myself to Regensburg or Nurnberg then instead of Munchen.

Although, come to think of it, I think I would like to check the difference, so Munchen is still on my map.

But then, from your comment: maybe I should visit other German cities too, such as Pilsen and Karlsbad.

(Shall be VERY interesting!!!)

24. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Viv, your xmas avatar was sooo good. (Wow you changed it back ... .)
    (???)

25. usa_students123

usa_students123 Banned

Hmm bummer, I missed this little juicy nationalistic flame baiting ... . Moderators, can you delete them a lot slower please?