Where did the wives of Cain and Abel come from?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Lady Luna, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Lady Luna

Lady Luna New Member

If Adam and Eve were the first man and woman, how did Cain and Abel meet wives? Did they have incestuous relations with their sisters?

2. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Was Abel married?

Cain left Eden or Dilmun and married with other people..

Genesis is specific to where the Jews come from... The Adamic line..

Its not about the origins of all human kind. The earth was already populated.

lynx and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. 2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. 27So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth

That sounds like all people to me.

4. Margot

READ all of Genesis.

The history goes back approximately 6,000 years even if you factor in the 90 foot tall people who lived 300 years or more.

Archeology finds evidence of organized human groups as far back at 20,000 years and more.

I can teach my children that Pecos Bill road Widowmaker thru a cyclone to create the Grand Canyon.

5. Ctrl

The bible goes back 6000 years if you TRY to assume that genesis is a complete record. It is clear that this is not a complete record by the contrasting records which are different lengths. It serves to reason that these are the lines of importance, or every single human at that time would have been mapped. The only people who believe the earth is 6000 years old according to the bible are people who were told so and those who want an easy argument to defeat.

6. Margot

The Bible wasn't written in English and the Torah differs substancially from the KJV..

Cain was "marked" for his protection when he was cast out, but who was he afraid of?

7. Dware

Dware New Member

Wrong.

The Bible doesnt say how old the Earth is, it doesnt even attempt to.

90 foot tall people?...

Uh what..

8. Ctrl

Not on the Adamic line.

Death.

9. Margot

It does if you calculate the begats.

Yes, earlier Jewish creation myths claimed that Adam and Eve were 90 feet tall...

Remember “There were giants upon the Earth” who took Adam's female offspring as wives.

Do you also believe in the Annunaki?

Its all adapted from the Babylonian myths about Marduke.

Every culture has its creation myths...

Why do you suppose the Hebrews origininally believe that Yahwehad a female consort?

That's why over 4,000 clay idols of Ashera (Esther) have been excavated in Jerusalem.

trevorw2539 likes this.
  10. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

The Adamic genealogy of Jesus gives the age of the father when the son is born. Simple addition gives the 4000 year total. or is Jesus' genealogy wrong?

11. Ctrl

This takes for granted an impossibility as a premise. It presumes that the line of begatting is whole, which it cannot be without explaining all, and doesn't even track with itself. It is clear that the figures mentioned in the begatting were of some relevance in a lost world history. Those whose generations had no impact save the line were omitted. Tracing the lineages of Jesus parents to David has a ten generation disparity alone. You must accept that the bible is not a perfect account of all peoples from Adam to every person on the planet in the first century. It focused on key figures and lineages.

12. Lady Luna

Lady Luna New Member

What about the part where Eve was made from Adam's rib? Weren't they supposed to be the first man and woman in the Garden of Eden?

13. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

Maybe they came from those imaginary political districts in which so many jobs were created by the stimulus plan. Maybe they came from the mysterious states that President Obama visited to get up to 57 states. Maybe when the god made Adam and Eve he had some rejects on hand. Hey, it was a first try. Since in Genesis we see plural pronouns for gods perhaps another god, lesser god of course, made the spouses. Spouses do see to be inferior until they die at which time they attain perfection.

Aaargh!

14. Margot

Let me point out that the Canaanites have a proven history of settled towns in the early Bronze Age... They were making pottery, mining ores and smelting metal weapons and tools long before there was any Jewish Creation myth.

And that there were snake cults all over the ME, Egypt and India dating back thousands of years before Judaism.

The lineage is to perfect the entitlement of the landless Hebrew tribes..

15. Ctrl

You keep doing that... saying "there is tons of evidence" throughout history which corroborates the "stories of the bible" as if it disproves them.

16. Object227

Object227 Well-Known Member

Your first problem is with the assumption others are making about Adam and Eve being the first man and woman. They were not. Your second problem is that you refer to Cain and Abel's wife but Abel was never married. He was murdered by Cain before he had any opportunity to marry anyone.

Cain's wife comes from the 6th day races already populating the earth prior to Adam's creation in the garden. Genesis 1 gives a chronologically summarized view of creation from the Big Bang (the gap between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2) and the appearance of humans (Genesis 1:26). Adam's creation does not come until Gen 2:7:
    Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed. (Genesis 2:7-8, NASB)

Cain is expelled from the Garden and settles East of Eden in the Land of Nod where he found his wife (Genesis 4:16-17)

17. Margot

There is NO evidence at all..

There was no exodus.. and why cross the Red Sea to get to Sinai or Canaan when everyone walked back and forth to the Nile Delta?

2 million people and 15 million sheep goats and donkeys in Sina??

Sinai has no pasture and no water.. Besides, Sinia was occupied by Egyptian garrisons.

Why did they eat manna when they could have eaten Lamb?

There was NO world wide flood... Zero geologic evidence af any world wide flood sediment layer.

There is zero evidence of David or Soloman either.

18. Ctrl

You don't need to bold everything.

I am not talking about what cannot be corroborated. I am saying that much in the bible is corroborated, so it is not a work of complete fiction. You wish to presume the "myths" are not true because others believed in some version of them, and therefore they are stolen. I am saying this is not the case SIMPLY because you believe it to be. Your viewpoint is rooted in the same place as Christians. Obstinate in the face of any logical evidence to the contrary. You are now putting me in the position of defending something I do not believe, which I can for all the assault you are mustering, but yes, eventually there are flaws in holding the position I am holding, which is why I do not buy it.

You are now just throwing out random references that "do not make sense" to you and seeking to demonstrate to me, of all people, why. I am sure you have heard this from me before... I like to close one door before entering another. Your initial statement about the tree of life presumed that the mythos was adopted by the Hebrews, rather than the Hebrews being given an accurate account of some of the myths which came before them. You have not proven, disproven, or successfully refuted anything yet.

You are fighting an "unlikely" with a "possible", not realizing they are one in the same from your perspective.

19. Lady Luna

Lady Luna New Member

Oops, I'm sure you're right. My Bible is at home so I couldn't refer to it. I started this thread based on a conversation I overheard at work, where someone asked where Cain and Abel met their wives and another answered that they must have been their sisters since Adam and Eve were the first humans, and that there was no other explanation but incest.

Thanks. I've heard many times that Adam and Eve were the first humans that God made, so I appreciate your explanation. It makes sense.

On a different note, Margot wrote (hey, that rhymes!):

The flood story exists in other myths as well, and the explanation given years ago by my Mom's pastor was that back then, people didn't know about other continents, so if they had a devastating flood where they lived, it would seem to them like it affected the whole world. That seems logical.

20. Margot

NONE of the OT has any evidence.. according to the best scholars and archeolgists in Israel.. even though they have been trying to prove the OT for a hundred years.

21. Margot

And Cain was protected from all those people outside Eden.

Nod must have been in modern day Iran or Afghanistan

22. Lady Luna

Lady Luna New Member

People existed before the written word, so if one just goes by the Biblical genealogies, that would omit the generations that existed in the prehistoric era.

23. Ctrl

That is ridiculous. The OT describes rulers we know existed in lands we know existed... there are people places and events which were absolutely corroborated by tons of empirical evidence.

24. Margot

Yes, those rulers did exist... but Israel wasn't important or even noteworthy. Wrapping myths around real historical figures was commonplace..

Eden did exist but it had NOTHING to do with Adam and Eve.

It was a center for trade between Yemen, the Indus Valley and Mespotamia over 5,000 years ago..

Ancient tablets recording the day to day business transactions are plentiful there.

Lady Luna and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Ctrl

Great. So you admit some of the bible is true... and therefore not a COMPLETE work of fiction.

Was that so hard?