Rich ppl have access to money and resources we never will

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by I justsayin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. I justsayin

I justsayin Well-Known Member

We all need to just realize this. They are making money off of projects thta aren't even made public yet. They think differently than we do. That's why they are rich. Not excusing the greed. But I do feel that there are some deals they have that just are good negotiating. My only issue is that some of us would also have the smarts to make that kind of money if given the resources. Like when you see stories of 5 ex wall street ppl making money from their own new business. Well obviously they have their wall street and government connections to get started. But some of us have the drive and smarts but don't have access to those types of ppl. That's where the system is broken.

Monster Zero likes this.
  2. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

Rich people don't have a special genetic makeup, they either held or improved their personal economic situation.

Nothing's stopping you from doing the same.

3. I justsayin

the pt is they do have resources most don't.

4. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

So find one and WORK FOR THEM.

WORK FOR THEM SO HARD that they have NO CHOICE but to realize that you are a meritocratic VALUE to them and PROVE that they can TRUST you to run one of their businesses FOR them in exchange for insane amounts of money.

If you can personally prove you assisted or was responsible for a dramatic rise in revenue for instance, no boss/owner in the world can possibly in good conscience deny you a properly negotiated wage.

It's not like Americans work for a bunch of evil scrooges who allow us only one lump of coal for the furnace. We're Americans and we are perfectly capable and powerful enough as individuals to stand up to cruel bosses and getting our fair shake as a working man.

5. AshenLady

AshenLady New Member Past Donor

You just figured this out?

How old r u?

6. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right....

There are millionaires/billionaires who started out in life just ordinary people - in fact, some in poverty, such as Oprah Winfrey and w/education and motivation, they became wealthy. Bill Gates was another ordinary guy....

I get tired of hearing these whiners "how come he's so rich and I'm not?"

It's a 4-letter word called 'WORK' for what you want......

7. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Current distribution of wealth...
    :fart:
    Top 5% holds more than half of the country’s wealth
    March 24, 2011 - The distribution of wealth in the United States is even more unequal than the distribution of wages and income. The Figure, from EPI’s new paper, The State of Working America’s Wealth. shows how wealth is divided among American households. It merges survey data on household wealth with changes in aggregate asset prices to estimate how wealth has been affected by the bursting of the housing bubble and the Great Recession. It shows that in 2009, the top 5% of wealth holders claimed 63.5% of the country’s wealth. The bottom 80%, by contrast, held just 12.8% of the country’s wealth.

8. Unifier

Unifier New Member

Bull(*)(*)(*)(*). If you have the smarts and the drive, you'll make the access to those types of people. Talk to any chart topping rap star that started off in the ghetto. Successful people don't wait around for other people to open doors for them. They open those doors themselves. That is the only thing that separates you from them. You're still waiting.

9. Ethereal

Ethereal Well-Known Member

That's because we have a central bank which helps them to line their pockets at our expense.

10. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

There are many good rich people. However its the degree of evil that the bad rich people do that gives me pause to think if any of them can truly understand the plight of the poor or even what we in the USA call the middle class. The evil rich conspire to be a parasite upon the backs of the taxpayers and take more and more by thievery and other fraud. Their millions are not enough they want it all and for the middle class and poor to eat, (*)(*)(*)(*), work to pay taxes for them to later rob, and die on their schedule. Being old or disabled is not good for the bottom line so they would probably kill those of us that are old or sick if they had their way. Money is addictive and as Jesus knew wealth makes it difficult to not fall into the trap of loving money. It turns some into parasitic monsters. And that list monster rich list is long and growing!

I must say I do detest the (actions) greedy rich, but I fully and completely detest the greedy criminal rich (actions). How criminal and how greedy was demonstrated by the thievery of the bankers in the sub-prime loan scandal and the taking down of wall street in other criminal actions that were just as bad as the toxic loan and real estate crimes. I truly believe everyone from the CEO down with knowledge of the scam should be serving life in prison at hard labor without the possibility of parole.

What is worse was the government’s involvement in this crime. Bush may have or may not have known if he should rescue the banks etc. However he had to have known as a business man son of a oil family that the government the bail out should of have been conditional !!!! In my mind, that action approved by Bush was far worse that even his support of the war, he hung the American taxpayer out to dry and nearly bankrupted the country. I would bet if the truth were known the fed printed so much money to cover this up that it reduced the real value of our dollar by five percent or more! For that, Bush should have been impeached and sent to prison with his banker buddies. Will that happen? No not unless there is a top to bottom overhaul of our government. I.e. no electoral collage no being rich to run for president (the presidential candidates should randomly be picked from a group of qualified individuals). I am truly sickened and depressed to the point of going off the grid and living in relative safety ie not being part of the corrupt USA governments system or as little of a part as I can. Its better to do that than to fight a perverted system that screws its own taxpayers. Maybe as a younger man I would go into politics and try to change the system, or if that die not work overthrow the system in a non violent manner (which is legal and encouraged by our founding fathers).

As it stands now we as a nation are self destructing from greed of the rich and wealthy as well as our own government being in bed with the criminal rich. I hope to God that we do change the system so that another melt down of wall st (a robbery of every American alive that makes less than 100k a year) will not be possible!!! I am happy in times such as these that I do not have any biological children to face what will happen if real change is not implemented and implemented fast!

ra

11. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

The self made rich tend to be above average in intelligence. Pick your reason for this, the correlation is not up for argument.

Also, the OP isn't savvy enough to follow the Forum thread minimum rules, great wealth might also present some challenges.

12. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

If you start with the assumption the we can't then you won't. DOA, Baby.

* Is 'we' = 'my people'?

13. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Obama gonna make `em pay their fair share of taxes...
    :fart:
    Americans agree: The rich should pay higher taxes
    April 22, 2011 -- Hey, rich folks! The American people are putting you on notice. They want you to pay higher taxes.

14. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

Not really. Most rich people in our country started out with little or nothing. Look at the life of Ross Perot.....a door-to-door salesman. There are plenty of examples. Oh, there are certainly those who inherited what they have and never worked a day in their lives at a real job.....the Kennedy's come to mind. But most actually studied hard; worked hard; planned ahead and then got ahead. It's called the American Dream.

maat and (deleted member) like this.
  15. technobabble

technobabble New Member

I agree with the OP...

(*)(*)(*)(*) you Oprah, Bill Gates, Micheal Moore and Mark Zuckerberg!!

I want my share of your money!!!

16. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

We had the same central bank since 1913. Yet the wealthiest started getting a bigger and bigger piece of the pie only in 1981. Same Fed. What happened that year?

17. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

This is what the liberals/Democrats do....each and every election cycle. They have to create a bogeyman.....Big Oil; Big Business; the evil rich; the two America's. It's how they get the masses on the lower rung all riled up so they'll go out and vote. After all, if they can get those already on Medicaid and Welfare to believe that the liberals will make sure even MORE of the rich's money gets sent down to them, they'll be inclined to go vote for them. It's that simple.

The "rich" however, create jobs. Something Obama knows nothing about!

18. MolonLabe2009

MolonLabe2009 Banned

Steve Jobs and Steven Wozniak only had their parent's garage, an idea, knowledge, courage and ambition.

The rest is history.

19. dwarrior

dwarrior Member

In a healthy economy, everyone can't be rich.
    I know and have ties with plenty of people with tons of money but it is what it is. I don't feel they should give it up. I do believe the tax code shouldn't take from the bottom but I understand a smart person with money understand how to add more than 50 percent of their wealth as annual income.
    The dumb new money people are the ones that can struggle as they usually can't see long term and pit falls.

20. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

If that is what the liberals have been doing, why were tax revenues proporationately the lowest in 60 years last year?

Liberals have been doing a (*)(*)(*)(*)ty job making sure even MORE of the rich's money gets sent down to them.

21. thintheherd

thintheherd New Member

Free tip for all non-defeatists:

Never take financial advice from someone with less assets than yourself and never base your ambitions on the advice of someone that says something can't be done.

~thintheherd

22. Nunya D.

Nunya D. Well-Known Member

Obama didn't have those resources at first and, love him or hate him, a person would have to say he has been pretty successful and is rich.

Unless they were born in money, all rich people started at the bottom. The resources they have now, they bought and paid for them with hard work and good decisions.

23. fiddlerdave

fiddlerdave Well-Known Member Past Donor

"Unless they were born in money". Indeed.

along with Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, the idea of america being a "Meritocracy" doesn't really bear out. Laughably, this myth persisted even during the times when almost two thirds of the population was legally excluded (women and minorities) from fair participation on their :merits" in much f the country by legal discrimination until the 1960's and 1970's.

Many of our favorite "rags to riches" stories are mostly PR (Bill Gates, for instance). Certainly some smart hard-working people have made fortunes, but many more of the "rich" inherited wealth, obtained it by criminal means (which is quite respected in the USA), or were just plain dumb lucky.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/17/social-immobility-climbin_n_501788.html

It is nothing but PR that "most" wealthy start out with "nothing". One of the perennial examples of Bill Gates had a evry well-to-do family sending him to harvard, and they had enough money to start him out with $250,000 back when that was real money! That is a far cry from "nothing".

Some reading would be good for those who believe the myths. Here is one good book to try.
    http://www.ncsociology.org/sociationtoday/v21/merit.htm

24. I justsayin

Exactly to the above post. If you are in Harvard then you have access to things most ppl won't anyway. That's why it's Harvard.

25. dwarrior

dwarrior Member

Obama is a private school kid with two college educated parents. His family moved from Kansas to Hawaii on a whim. His mom traveled out of country and he spent part of his childhood in Indonesia.
    He had resources, history would say upper middle class at least.