US Postal Service insists doesn’t need bailout, just access overpaid retirement funds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Professor Peabody, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

There goes that recurring retirement benefits and pension thing again. Do they want to run deficit spending, thereby shoving the debt off on our kids? This is the exact same problem most states are having with their retirement benefits and pensions. Public sector unions have sucked the blood from the middle class taxpayers long enough.

All the things that unions used to fight for have been incorporated into modern day labor laws. Major illness or injury leave, sexual harassment, hostile workplace, breaks, overtime, meal periods, double time, family leave. The honor roll of the things they used to fight for, are now right protected under the law. It's time to dismantle those unions for the good of the country.

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. vonsigler

vonsigler Member

I completely agree! :clap:

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  3. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says she gonna wrap Uncle Ferd up in duct tape an' mail him 3rd class to China...
    :eyepopping:
    Postal Service: Will keep rural post offices open
    9 May`12 WASHINGTON (AP) — The financially struggling U.S. Postal Service sought Wednesday to tamp down concern over wide-scale cuts, revealing it will seek to keep thousands of rural post offices open with shorter hours.

4. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Sounds like postage stamps gettin' ready to go up again...
    :omfg:
    U.S. Postal Service nears historic default on $5B payment
    7/30/12 : WASHINGTON — The U.S. Postal Service is bracing for a first-ever default on billions in payments due to the Treasury, adding to widening uncertainty about the mail agency's solvency as first-class letters plummet and Congress deadlocks on ways to stem the red ink.

5. Lowden Clear

Lowden Clear Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well said Professor. Never seen it expressed so clearly before.

The people who work for the government certainly don't need representation to have all those benefits. With elected officials who needs union bosses who only take money and pocket it?

6. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

They want to steal the retirement money, and dump the debt on the tax payers, and claim the post office is viable.

7. siddhartha

siddhartha New Member

It would be funny to hear you squawk if government required all private business to follow the same retirement/pension funding rules that the Post Office has been made to follow!!

8. Zosiasmom

Zosiasmom New Member Past Donor

The post office was forced --not by the employees but the government-- to put more into pensions and retirement accounts than other agencies. The rural postal employees, which make up the bulk of postal carriers, cover more miles in their own vehicles, work longer hours, and show up regardless of weather...there is no way I'm not going to think they deserve what little they make.

Compare that to the actual pay of spook agency employees who cause nothing but headaches for the US and their take home pay, pensions, and use of military benefits and it becomes absurd that so much attention is on the PO.

9. sec

sec Well-Known Member

One of my family members worked at the PO before taking early retirement. I could not believe the stories he told. It wasn't until he was out and entered the Dreaded Private Sector when he got a cold hard reality slap.

We will hear defense of the USPS (justified for some things) and how the govt took from them etc.

I would however love for my business vehicles to be able to park anywhere without risk of tickets or boots. I would love for my employees to be given passage while others waited. I would love for tampering with any of my packages to be treated as a federal crime. I would love to be given a monopoly in certain segments

Since the USPS has a government mentality things like fax machines, email, UPS, Fedex came in and they had no idea on how to compete.

Why do we continue to look at bureaucrats and wonder why they do not understand how to act like the Dreaded Private Sector. Govt employees go into govt for the safety and ability to hide from things like competition and competing for their very own job. If they wanted to compete they would have entered the Dreaded Private Sector.

It's just not in the chemistry of govt employees to think and act like workers in the DPS

10. Jebediah

Jebediah Banned

So for no reason what so ever you think you should have the same privileges as a federal government institution that is Constitutionally mandated? Talk about grandiosity and a sense of entitlement. Do you want a nuclear ICBM in your backyard too?

So they start off this hearing with a partisan hack title and the right wing sheep eat it up. Okay.

11. Zosiasmom

I have a family member there, as well, and Fedex contracts to the post office. Did you know that? Their packages hitch rides with US postal carriers in rural areas.

Tampering with your packages is a federal crime.

They don't get to park anywhere they want unless delivering mail.

And, like it or not, this is a constitutionally defined role of government, spelled out, so...whatever.

12. sec

sec Well-Known Member

good for Fedex for keeping costs low. I would love for my vehicles to be able to park anywhere while conducting business. We seldom hear the advantages given to the USPS but always hear about how their hands were tied

13. Dr. Righteous

Dr. Righteous Well-Known Member

We need competition legalized. The USPS will have to fail if it can't compete with the free market.

14. Zosiasmom

Because you're making stuff up now about advantages. They can't park anywhere off duty and not get ticketed. They can only park "anywhere" when delivering your mail. This isn't Congress with the Franking privilege. They don't get base housing like the military. They don't get to use military resources like the FBI and CIA. They basically get a lot of work in any kind of weather for about the equivalence of $18 an hour. If they have a nice pension, well, okay. Most postal employees don't get vehicles, they have to use their own and get $.32 a mile for wear and tear and gas and still pay taxes on the vehicle.

I think you're making crap up and know nothing about the life of a rural letter carrier.

15. Zosiasmom

The USPS is spelled out in the Constitution. Do you wish to change the Constitution?

16. Consmike

Consmike New Member Past Donor

lmao, if that happened there would be no private business in this country.

17. Zosiasmom

You realize that they were forced to that action with the pensions? The USPS wanted otherwise.