46% of Mississippi Republicans think interracial marriage should be illegal?

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties' started by Perriquine, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Perriquine

Perriquine On hiatus Past Donor

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/04/08/2011-04-08_interracial_marriage_should_be_illegal_say_46_of_mississippi_republicans_in_new_.html#ixzz1JADnAk33

I'm not sure what to make of this. Is this really what people were asked and how they answered? Apparently 68% of those polled were over the age of 46. So maybe this skews the data, but on the other hand, older people are supposedly more likely to be faithful voters, so the potential ramifications are a bit startling.

Question: Should interracial marriage be illegal? Why or why not?

Question: If the power to regulate marriage is vested in the states, should individual states be able to outlaw interracial marriage? Why or why not?

Question: Do you know any interracial couples?

2. maori

maori New Member

why should interracial marriage be illegal when intergender marriage is legal!? :-D

if the states would have the power to regulate marriage on a moral level, then they have a hell of a job coming their way!

yes i do and they make beautiful babies!
    it's not about one's skin colour, it's all about the attitude. some ppl will overcome differences, some won't, it's no different with an all-white intergender married couple.

i thought there was only one big brother, seems that there's one born every second! who came up with this survey?? it's 2011!!??

3. Perriquine

No valid reason comes to mind.

I'll revisit this further below.

Agreed. Every married couple faces their own set of challenges. I do not see a substantial difference between couples of the same race in comparison to those of differing races. They are similarly situated.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com

The question is part of the Mississippi Republican Poll (April 7, 2011)

I think the "states' rights" question is an interesting one. It's very clear that states are the primary regulators of civil marriage, with laws differing from state to state. If state's can refuse recognition to all manner of other marriages (polygamy, polyandry, polyamory, incest, bestial, same-sex couples, etc.) then what prevents a state from likewise refusing to recognize the marriage of an interracial couple?

The answer lies in the Loving v. Virginia case, which shows us that a state can't thumb its nose at broad principles like equal protection rights and due process rights when regulating a fundamental right where the individual(s) in question is similarly situated to others under the law.

It is interesting that 40+ years later, the legality of interracial marriage is clearly limited in its ability to influence social acceptance. And a bit frightening to think of the political ramifications of significant social rejection.

As for regulating marriage from a moral perspective, that's certainly an iffy proposition, but it hasn't stopped states from doing exactly that.

4. Sadistic-Savior

Sadistic-Savior New Member Past Donor

The New York Daily news said that??

Then it must be true....I mean, what possible reason would they have to lie or exaggerate, right?

5. Perriquine

Well, if you look at the stats compiled from the actual survey on the Public Policy Polling site that conducted it, they indicate that this was the question asked and how it was answered.

Like I said - I don't know what to make of it. I find it a bit shocking and hence my reason for questioning it.

6. Sadistic-Savior

I am in the habit of questioning everything published in the NY Daily News.

7. Perriquine

I'm in the habit of questioning most sources. In this instance, I didn't find anything elsewhere contradicting it.

8. Sadistic-Savior

Some sources are obviously more reliable than others. Bias does matter.

9. maori

maori New Member

incest and all the other crimes....they're crimes so for sure the states need to make sure that's illegal.
    i hate seeing same-sex couples and crimes like incest in the same sentence....anti-gays love to use it, it hurts me to see it.

but i hear you, it is very scary, it's shocking and it's happening in 2011. are we going back in time?

10. Perriquine

Bear in mind that a mere 8 years ago, same-sex behavior was still a crime in several states, and a number of those states have not formally repealed those laws.

So making the distinction between what is or isn't a crime tends to beg the question. And it's exactly the argument used against same-sex couples seeking marriage before same-sex behavior was decriminalized.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying any of those things in the list are comparable to each other. Each is its own situation requiring separate evaluation.

11. maori

maori New Member

changing norms, law or no law and to put it in very simple terms: anything with a victim is unacceptable.

12. pegasuss

pegasuss New Member

46% of the people are also bastards, born outside marriage, and need to add their families IQ to be rated as normal.

Your questions:

Of course, it's up to them.

The States have no role in deciding who marries.

Yes, of course, I grew up in the northenr Territory of Australia. My daughter is with a part aboriginal guy so my granchildren are aborigianal.

But I have known so many, it's almost the norm to have half inter racial and half one race here in OZ. Remember that song? We'll have coffee coloured people everywhere. Blue Mink.

13. devilsadvocate

devilsadvocate New Member

1. we are all the same race, human. interracial by definition is hogwash.

2. yes they should be able too, though since we are all the same race...

3. interracial per the vernacular, of course. My mother is Slavic, and My father is Germanic. I am a Half-breed of Serbian-Croatian - German descent.

14. Caeia Iulia Regilia

Caeia Iulia Regilia New Member

I think only the second question is truely relevant to the discussion. If the state has the power to regulate human relationships, then it has the right to regulate interracial relationships.

Now if the states have the right to regulate relationships, then it implies that the right to form relationships is not absolute. That would tend to make a mockery of the idea of free assembly -- because if the state can tell me that I can't associate with one person, then it must logicly be able to tell me that i can't associate with lots of people. Like a political party, or a religion. If the state cannot interfere with who I associate with or what I call my association, then it cannot forbid my marriage for any reason.

As to benefits, since benefits are given by law in most cases, then the state can give or not give those beneifts at whim. That would be things like tax benefits, requiring businesses to cover the "spouse" whoever that may be or however many there may be. These things are not rights, but benefits. Very simply if the government must force the issue or provide the benefit, it's not a natural right. It may be good for society (I think interracial and gay marriages are beneficial and should receive benefits), but it is not a natural right to get anything from another person. Mississippi is not required to reward associations it does not approve of. If they think that interracial marriage is against the best interest of the state, it has no obligation to provide anything other than to allow such weddings to take place.

I want them to approve benefits to gays, to interracial couples, but quite frankly, it's their state, not mine. I'd boycott them if they changed the law in that way, but I live in another state and have no natural right to decide for Mississippi what benefits they give to whom. I'll fight to make sure that it doesn't happen in MY state, and try to change their minds.

And yes I do know interracial couples. They're just like everybody else.

15. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

We recently heard from blacks opposed to interracial dating/marriage. I wonder why that doesn't get such big play in the mdeia.

Me, I wouldn't mind if my son or daughter dated/married a black person as long as they weren't a liberal/social/communist person.

16. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Personally believe that interracial sexual relationships are a very bad idea. I am not so much concerned about interracial marriage specifically because very few of the blacks that impregnate a white woman actually marry afterwards. The possibility of an interracial sexual relationship should be avoided at all costs, and this should mean that classrooms should be segregated, either by race or by gender. Similar measures need to be taken in the workplace.

17. PatrickT

18. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

People often refuse to admit that black people tend to pressure against interracial relationships as well. I've dated every race imaginable except an Asian. I seemed to get the most dirty looks from the males of whatever race I am dating. Maybe they are afraid there won't be enough to go around?

Also in my experience I tend to find that poor black women that are hot, don't date white guy as a general rule. They have access to any black man they want, so the uglier poor black women tend to date white men.

But middle and upper class black women(who i meet alot of) are often much more open minded to dating a white guy.

Racial Relationships are WEIRD in America.

19. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Oh, you're missing out on the best one :bump:

You obviously have never seen a black woman give the "evil" eye to a white woman holding hands with a black man. This is definitely a phenomena, and was actually confirmed by a black man I talked to.

Of course, they are trying to be "upwardly mobile" :mrgreen:

Really, because what I have observed is that black women generally tend to be treated as "less attractive" in a multiracial society, and the black men go off with a lighter skinned woman from a different race, leaving desperate black women that have more trouble finding a guy.

20. PatrickT

"Researchers found that a belief in guardian angels, affirmed by 55 percent of respondents, is a phenomenon that crosses religious, as well as regional and educational lines."
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=5833399&page=1

I wonder what the percentage is of liberals who believe that two people working can support 98 deadbeats? Well, if they work really hard.

21. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

Of course the bastardization and miscegenation of our multi cultural and multi criminalized society should be illegal. Reduce the scum by interjecting a purity as favored and demanded by GOD himself. Common sense should be the final arbiter in all of these social matters.

22. Flag

Flag New Member

One big lol.
    By the way if your god demanded that himself he is a dick.

23. Flag

Flag New Member

[​IMG]

Someone forgot the white hoods.

24. Libhater

Libhater Well-Known Member

There are multiple quotes from the bible (that I've previously posted) telling how GOD himself favored the separating/segregating of the races/peoples. It is what it is regardless of how your atheistic/secular mush mind tries to revise or distort the truth. :twisted:

25. micfranklin

micfranklin Banned

What verses are these where GOD himself has flat out said this?