Why are Obama's policies now hurting the poor and helping the wealthy?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by James Cessna, Apr 22, 2011.

1. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

Many people are not aware of this, but since he assumed office, Obama's policies have only hurt the poor and helped the wealthy.

The reason for this is as follows. The value of our dollar is worth half as much as when Obama took office. As a result of his foolish policies to devalue the dollar, commodity prices are up and so are the price of gasoline and the price of fresh produce and processed food in our supermarkets. Higher fuel costs results in higher transportation costs and consequently the price of processed food and fresh fruits and vegetables in our supermarkets will continue to increase. This hurts the poor among us more than the wealthy.

Obama is not the friend of the people who are poor because he is driving up the prices they pay for everything. However, the stock market has gone up by 30% since Obama was elected to office. People in Europe are now using their currency to buy cheap dollars. They then use these dollars to invest in the U.S. stock market and this drives up the value of U.S. stocks for everyone who owns them (source: CNBC financial news). Thanks to his policies, the rich have become much richer and he has once again backed off raising their taxes.

2. Raskolnikov

Raskolnikov Active Member

It was always going to happen. This isn't a new phenomenon. I'll give you a parallel example.

In Israeli politics it is often the more hawkish politicians who can make the biggest concessions to the Palestines or Egyptians or whatever. The reason being that if a less-hawkish person did it then they would accused of 'giving in' (or something to that effect) whereas if a hawkish person did it then people think 'it must be a good idea if even this guy agrees!'.

Now we have the situation where Obama can get away with screwing the poor because people don't expect him to and expect him to help the poor whereas a Republican would be under much more scrutiny.

3. Montoya

Montoya Banned

Can't repair 8 years of damage Bush did in 2 years. This is still all of Bush's fault.

4. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

That is a very astute observation, Raskolnikov.

The same conditions existed when Nixon made successful overtures to China in the early 1970's when a Democratic president would have easily been crucified for doing the same thing.

[​IMG]

5. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

You guys love to live in the past, don't you? What has Obama done for you lately?

Answer: Not much!

[​IMG]

6. Libocalypsenow

Libocalypsenow New Member

His policies have only helped GE so far. That's all i see. Jeffrey Immelt his "Jobs Czar?" WTF! :(

7. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

Mostly because Obama hasn't changed the basic trajectory.

- The Bush tax cuts are still in place
    - Economic hard times are always going to be harder on the poor.

8. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Rich folks benefit from capital gains tax rates...
    :omg:
    Capital gains tax rates benefiting wealthy feeds growing gap between rich and poor
    The K Street office of Mark Bloomfield, president of the American Council for Capital Formation, is full of knickknacks collected in three decades of lobbying for cutting the capital gains tax.

9. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I blame the commodity prices on the Arab spring, but it is counter-balanced a small bit by the OPEC rebellion/internal price war that brings oil prices back down. It is all about oil price. Industries that take longer to produce their goods, like farming, are slower to show a lower-price recovery from the oil price reduction from the OPEC break.

The biggest "hurt the poor" problem I see with the Obama administration is that the Federal Reserve is keeping interest rates too low, near zero. The poor people don't want to get a loan, they want a savings account.

Want to get the poor to spend again? Give them a 10% savings account and the 100s of dollars they would make in interest would be spent soon after. Too bad we don't have a 10% economy to feed that savings account. Any ideas?

10. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

That should be good news for right-wingers, eh?
    I expect to see you sporting a pro-Obama avatar from now on.

11. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Well-Known Member

Is it Obama's policy to devalue the dollar?

12. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Simple. One must know where money flows. the whole stimulis past and proposed, is based on old idology of 18th century post industrial era economics. Today we live in a competitive 21st century economy with other nations who are more economicaly powerfull than the USA.

When you look at the history of the past 15 years, the countries that were the most developed have maxed out on growth and capitalist opportunities. In other words the USA has no room to grow and the opportunity for capitalism has tapped out the buisness and services of the current economic system of the uSA.

As a result, the only place to capitalize is in forigen countries that have a lot of room to grow and expand their trade, products, and services.

Corporations have access to this, but the people of the USA do not. Hence th unemployment, and lack of growth.

Furthermore, the corporations and industries that once made proffits off buisness an other corporations have saturated the USA market of capitalism, and now the capitalist are profiting off the taxpayers and governments directly.

13. jmpet

jmpet New Member

Many people are not aware because it is not true. You already lost your credibility with me with your endless anti-Obama threads and this is just another attempt to get a cheap shot in.

14. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

You are funny, jmpet.

I enjoy studying Obama's ideology and the liberal mindset and sharing what I have learned with the other independents, conservatives and centrists in our group.

I am not attempting to convince our liberal friends of anything. I refuse to waste my time on this impossible endeavor!

15. James Cessna

James Cessna New Member

Very good, Raskolnikov.

Thanks for sharing.

16. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Active Member

Wouldn't anyone agree that pro-union, pro-corporate tax hikes, tough costly environmental regulations that hurt businesses diminishes a company's production and hiring capacities? I mean businesses create jobs, so if all of your efforts in government exist to punish their success (hell, even their existence), why would you hire, produce or make money? The owner of the business I work for is a multimillionaire. Should I be so naive as to think that by some how voting for government to diminish his wealth that that money will come back to me somehow? It's very plain to see. Liberals or conservatives that vote to hurt businesses only hurt the country.

The strength of the middle class is really the true measure of wealth of a nation. There will always be parasites on the system that someone is willing to go to bat for, but in the end free milk for one is slavery to all.

17. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious Active Member

Yes it is. When the nation is weaker at the end of the day, it's currency suffers.

18. logical1

logical1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Like it or not the fact is in the 6 years our dear leader Obama has been president, the rich got richer, and the poor got poorer!!!!!!!

19. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

It's doing fairly well right now.

20. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

Contrary to the lies in the leading question used by the OP, Obama's policies are NOT hurting the poor.

It is Republicans in Congress who refuse to enact the reforms he seeks that enriches the wealthy.

21. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

You know this thread has been dead for over 3 years, right ?

Doesn't blaming everything on the Republicans get old ?

Obviously rhetorical, since we all know that's the defense of every stupid thing Obama does.

22. Riot

Riot New Member

Obama raised taxes on the middle class twice.

23. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

If you opened your eyes you would have seen it was revived. Blaming Obama by making up lies the way you unpatriotic right wingers do all the time is an absurdity that needs to be corrected.

24. Riot

Riot New Member

Obama raised taxes on the middle class twice.

25. Micketto

Micketto New Member Past Donor

I understand that. I was addressing the years of blame that started long before the thread died.

You're addressing the wrong person.
    I have an issue with Obama's lies.... and have no need to make them up.

The lies you blame on the Republicans.... despite them coming from Barack's mouth.