Algerian Christian gets five years in jail for "blasphemy"

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by DutchClogCyborg, May 29, 2011.

1. DutchClogCyborg

DutchClogCyborg New Member

This story helps to demonstrate why "blasphemy" laws and other legislation curtailing free speech to shield Islam from insults and "provocations" (real or imagined) must be resisted: "While Algeria professes that it upholds religious freedom, it also embraces a blasphemy law that, by its very nature, can be used to prosecute anyone who does not adhere to the religion of Islam."

At the end of the day, merely expressing a belief at variance with Islam is "blasphemy," and the fact that one could have the gall to think such thoughts and admit to them out loud could be construed as "insulting." That is what has happened to Siagh Krimo. "Algerian Christian Given Five Year Prison Sentence for Blasphemy," from International Christian Concern, May 27:

The previous paragraph suggests Krimo left Islam for Christianity, though it is not stated elsewhere. In that case, he would also run the risk of being killed for apostasy from Islam, according to Muhammad's own orders.

http://www.aina.org/news/20110527171608.htm

2. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

A U.N. resolution seeks to criminalize opinions that differ with the Islamic faith.

Though it is written tongue-in-cheek in the language of human rights and of opposition to discrimination, the nonbinding U.N. Resolution 62/154, on "Combating defamation of religions," actually seeks to extend protection not to humans but to opinions and to ideas, granting only the latter immunity from being "offended." The preamble is jam-packed with hypocrisies that are hardly even laughable, as in this delicious paragraph, stating that the U.N. General Assembly:

Underlining the importance of increasing contacts at all levels in order to deepen dialogue and reinforce understanding among different cultures, religions, beliefs and civilizations, and welcoming in this regard the Declaration and Programme of Action adopted by the Ministerial Meeting on Human Rights and Cultural Diversity of the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries, held in Tehran on 3 and 4 September 2007.

Yes, I think we can see where we are going with that. (And I truly wish I had been able to attend that gathering and report more directly on its rich and varied and culturally diverse flavors, but I couldn't get a visa.) The stipulations that follow this turgid preamble are even more tendentious and become more so as the resolution unfolds. For example, Paragraph 5 "expresses its deep concern that Islam is frequently and wrongly associated with human rights violations and terrorism," while Paragraph 6 "[n]otes with deep concern the intensification of the campaign of defamation of religions and the ethnic and religious profiling of Muslim minorities in the aftermath of the tragic events of 11 September 2001."

You see how the trick is pulled? In the same weeks that this resolution comes up for its annual renewal at the United Nations, its chief sponsor-government (Pakistan) makes an agreement with the local Taliban to close girls' schools in the Swat Valley region (a mere 100 miles or so from the capital in Islamabad) and subject the inhabitants to Sharia law. This capitulation comes in direct response to a campaign of horrific violence and intimidation, including public beheadings. Yet the religion of those who carry out this campaign is not to be mentioned, lest it "associate" the faith with human rights violations or terrorism. In Paragraph 6, an obvious attempt is being made to confuse ethnicity with confessional allegiance. Indeed this insinuation (incidentally dismissing the faith-based criminality of 9/11 as merely "tragic") is in fact essential to the entire scheme. If religion and race can be run together, then the condemnations that racism axiomatically attracts can be surreptitiously extended to religion, too. This is clumsy, but it works: The useless and meaningless term Islamophobia, now widely used as a bludgeon of moral blackmail, is testimony to its success.

http://www.slate.com/id/2212662

3. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

All these laws against apostasy are pretty fascist.

4. JSNY818

JSNY818 Banned

It's things like this that make me grateful that I live where I do. My mom's entire half of the family is catholic, yet I'm agnostic. I couldn't imagine living in a place like that.

5. DutchClogCyborg

You mean Islam in its core is pretty fascists.

How else can you call a oppressive system where the Kuffar is a 2nd rate creature which descended from pigs and apes. While woman are even worse off.

How else to call the mandated Jizya Infidel tax,

6. Serfin' USA

Certain interpretations of Islam are definitely fascist. Still, clearly, there are interpretations that aren't.

Albania and Turkey seem pretty progressive for Muslim-majority countries. Granted, Turkey is starting to go backwards as of late.

7. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Their country, their laws. And none of your bloody business, frankly.

8. Albert Di Salvo

Albert Di Salvo New Member

The same could be said for your opinions on American internal affairs.

9. PeteZilla

PeteZilla New Member

I disagree we have right to call out these outrageous laws and practices. We may not have the power tor a reason to meddle directly with the affairs but regardless injustices should be called out.

All religious criticism is on the table the moment they want to enter public policy. ALL OF IT. Just like any ideas should be.

10. DutchClogCyborg

How come all those interpretation of Islam, which are not facists are not brought into practice?

Turkey has anti Christian laws and violence. Churches may not be repaired.
    Albania is more secular then anything else. Its more cultural Islamic

11. Serfin' USA

You'll have to elaborate on the Turkish laws you're referring to.

12. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

Five years gaol for blasphemy isn`t such a bad deal, compared to being publicly tortured to death for being raped, that is.

13. Try_This

Try_This Banned

I hear Australia has some problems too with Muslim immigrants.
    Didn't someone in Govt tell em to get the hell out if they wanted Sharia?

14. Borat

Borat Banned

I will remind you of this post when you whine about Israel again.

PS barbaric country, barbaric laws. don't you agree?

15. Borat

Borat Banned

Actually all interpretations of Islam are fascist, Albania and Turkey were not letting Islam penetrate the government and legal system and play a role in running the country. It's changing for the worse in Turkey indeed but it's not that they are reinterpreting Islam in a more fascist manner, they are just letting Islam creep back into the political and legal system from which it was excluded since Ataturk.

16. Try_This

Try_This Banned

Excellent post.
    Turkey, the best hope for 'secular islam', is fading, making that term perhaps the oxymoron it probably is.