US Author Claims Sesame Street 'Left Wing Propaganda'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Makedde, May 30, 2011.

1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Erm, okay. As well as attacking a childrens show, he went after two shows which are no longer on air - Friends, claiming it undermines family values, and he also attacked my favorite show, MacGyver, saying it encouraged Americans to think that guns were bad. (Umm, no it didn't, reject)

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/tv-radio/author-ben-shapiro-claims-in-primetime-proaganda-tv-has-left-wing-bias/story-e6frf9ho-1226065609906

Okay, so MacGyver was an obviously left wing show and even I can admit that. But who cares? Its a TV show, just like Sesame Street and if people don't want to watch it, then turn it off!

2. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

elmo says that isn't true, kids are too young to pick political stances.

3. Serfin' USA

Serfin' USA Well-Known Member

Shapiro just sounds like an attention whore. It's a common and unfortunately effective way to sell books.

4. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

Anybody who attacks MacGyver has no soul.

5. My Fing ID

My Fing ID Well-Known Member Past Donor

I used to watch Sesame Street, and ever since I've had the urge to live in a trash can singing about how I love trash. :tp::sunnysideup::couch:

I seriously don't know how people come to the conclusions they do.

6. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Oh a few racist idiots out there see Sesame Street promoting things like diversity among the races, foreign languages, and general tolerance towards others...something we should be instilling in our kids, and to them that's "left wing"

I'd simply call it common sense.

7. windparadox

windparadox Banned

8. cenydd

cenydd Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sesame Street is one of the most heavily researched educational programs ever made, and is very well designed and constructed around psychological research about how very young children can learn most effecively from TV (with the timings of scenes, how to include letters and numbers, and so on). It led the way for things like 'Blues Clues', another very carefully constructed and heavily researched educational program.

Apart from the aspects SiliconMagician has already mentioned, there's nothing that could really be considered particularly 'left wing' about them, unless you regard learning to count and learning to spell as 'evil leftist' concepts (and I don't think most right-wingers would think that!)!

Another quote from the article above:
    Ummm.....I was going to comment on that, but I just can't find the words.

Of course, it did perpetrate this wicked deed:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Z6tDSb6c8"]James Blunt on Sesame Street[/ame]

Perhaps it was an evil left wing plot to promote the triangle within society, and encourage those three-sided vermin into a violent revolution over the good wholesome all-American square! :)

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny always suspected...

... Oscar was a closet Commie.
    :fart:

10. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

His book, Primetime Propaganda, will show how the "most powerful medium of mass communication in human history became a vehicle for spreading the radical agenda of the Left side of the political spectrum," according to the publishers, Harper-Collins. Shapiro interviewed dozens of leading industry figures, some of whom admitted to including a leftwing bias in their shows.

One of the founders of Sesame Street told him that the program had sought to address how conflict could be resolved peacefully following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Insiders also told Shapiro that the Korean War medical comedy MASH promoted pacifism and that Happy Days had an anti-Vietnam war subtext.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entert...+wing+agenda/4860382/story.html#ixzz1NpNlqZU1

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entert...d+pushing+left+wing+agenda/4860382/story.html

Is this really a shock to anyone? Really?

_

11. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

Anything that's using current social science is definitionally leftist since the near entirety of the squishy sciences are populated and polluted with leftist thinking and ideology.

And the scientists themselves never really see the agenda since there are next to no contrarians in their sphere.

12. pocket aces

pocket aces Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sesame Street is an educational program therefore on just that merit alone a certain segment of righties will bash it because they want people to remain as dumb as they are. It's the only way they have to feel smart.

The usual suspects have already shown up here. There will be more.

13. Lady Luna

Lady Luna New Member

That videos shows - gasp - pink triangles! :omg: Since the pink triangle has been adopted as a symbol by gays, of course conservatives would have a problem with Sesame Street. I don't see it as evil, though, just a pink geometric shape.

14. Surfer Joe

Surfer Joe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually, all good education is essentially liberal.
    It is designed to teach children to respect and appreciate the diversity of life and to encourage curiosity about how things work, all of which requires intellectual freedom not crippled by dogmatic or reactionary attitudes.

I can understand why right-wingers are paranoid.

15. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

MacGyver was intelligent and resourceful. Those are conservative traits.
    He didn't wait around for someone else to solve the problems at hand like a leftist does.

16. Smoke and Mirrors

Smoke and Mirrors New Member

Rightwing nutjobs are scared of the media and TV. They liken it to black magic. If you can't think critically enough to comprehend a scripted television show and honestly feel like its message is consuming you and brainwashing you, then drop out of society and move into the mountains or something.

17. Dasein

Dasein New Member

Sesame Street always seemed pretty conservative to me. . .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=druQ6olIfm4"]YouTube - ‪Big Bird calls bullcrap on Michelle Obama and her husband the president!‬‏[/ame]

18. Unifier

Unifier New Member

You are aware that Sesame Street is geared toward children, aren't you? I'm not saying I agree with the guy in the article, but your post here suggests that three year olds should have the cognitive reasoning skills of full grown adults. Unless you think the guy in the article was worried about adults being brainwashed by Sesame Street.

19. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

Is there any evidence that points to it not having liberal bias? Liberals have no shame, and brainwashing children to their way of thinking is typical of their methods.

20. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

LOL!

My kids watched Sesame Street and still grew up to be independent thinkers. Well, how did that happen?:omg:

This reminds me of some idiot claiming that "Puff, the Magic Dragon" was all about smoking pot.........:bored:

21. Ivor

Ivor New Member

Theres a lot worse on the tele than Sesame Street these days.

As a child I watched a lot of Sesame Street, when I grew up I certainly wasn't on the left side of the aisle.

I can understand the position on friends, although as an adult I enjoyed the humor of the show and remember it more than the leftist BS they put out there sometimes.

MacGyver was just awesome. Freedom of speech crossed the line when he attacked this show. You get the tar, I'll get the feathers.

22. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

Does it promoted individual achievement and self determination and property rights and accumulation of wealth to leave for your future generations? Does it support the melting pot of America that we are all Americans first and our loyalties should be for the country and not special groups? Does it promote freedom from government reliance?

23. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

From what I'm aware of I've never seen an episode of Sesame Street that even addressed those issues one way or another except the melting pot and yes, they do promote it because you can watch the video shorts, there are always a multi-racial group of kids playing together, learning together, etc. in all those videos and it shows a good mix of race. It's certainly better than outright racially oriented shows like Dora the Explorer, etc.

Sesame Street is dear to the hearts of most Americans conservative and liberal! Including this Conservative.

24. Bluespade

Bluespade Banned

No (*)(*)(*)(*), you don't mess around with a man that can make a improvised explosive device out of straw, paperclip, and a rubber band.

25. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

You might have hit on the civil disobedience thing! James Blunt prevented WW3 by refusing a direct order to use his armoured group to drive the Russians off a captured airfield during the Bosnian war.