Friend is being FORCED by the US government to be homeless

Discussion in 'United States' started by shanew711, Jun 6, 2011.

1. shanew711

shanew711 New Member

My friend Lee Savage from the article that I will post in a second defaulted on a $3,000 dollar student loan in 1988. She wound up in jail and accrued interest until she was recently released. Without the ability to declare bankruptcy on it she owes the government $30,000. She has been told that she will have to pay 95% of any paycheck she receives until it is paid off. Being a 21 year old college student with little political knowledge, this seems like an extremely bad deal to me. Does anyone know how she can get out of this predicament? She needs a job direly and has throat cancer and diabetes without any money to pay for medicine or treatment. She's currently staying in a hotel without money to pay for today's rent or anywhere to go from here.

2. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Should have paid the debt back then. Taxpayer will pay to support that person for the rest of her life. And, the medical profession will benifit greatly from it.

3. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why should the government have any more power to collect on a loan than any other credit agency? If she defaults, too bad for the government. It shouldn't be making student loans in the first place.

4. Revere

Revere New Member

Woo hoo. You wanted compassion and financial security. Kiss your freedom goodbye.

Into the rice fields you go.

[​IMG]

5. shanew711

shanew711 New Member

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm glad to have a workable solution for her.

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Would imagine the lifestyle has much to do with it...
    :omg:
    Homeless people die 30 years younger, study suggests
    20 December 2011 - The study said the life expectancy of a homeless person is 47-years-old

7. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

Iv'e seen some pretty messed up divorces in the past and it was never as bad as Lee's situation. Is this California?

Nevertheless, hire a financial lawyer and see if they can break down the interest for a lesser amount. Or better yet, get on disability and let the Gubment pay itself.

8. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Forcing someone to pay 95% of any paycheque they earn is ridiculous. You'd be living on the streets.
    Try and see if an arrangement can't be made so she can pay off $50 a month, or whatever she can afford.

9. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

tell her to go to the welfare office and tell them she has throat cancer and diabetes the counselors there will help her, it will stress her out to work and have to pay over 95 percent of her check for tuition

although if she really wants to work see if she can go to the media or find an attorney that will take her case for free until it settles.

that is a bad situation

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Well-Known Member

Let's see this article because I simply do not believe that the government would make her pay 95% of her paycheck towards this debt.

11. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

I don't buy the story. Where's the supposed link?

Also, the law says that only up to 25% of a paycheck can be garnished to repay defaulted student loan debts.

12. BuckNaked

BuckNaked New Member

Go to the swap meet get a fake identity, apply for as many credit cards as needed to pay the debt with cash withdrawals, then pay the debt throw the credit cards and the new identity in the garbage, and beat the crooked system. :blankstare: (not really)

Of course it would have been simpler to pay the debt when it was due. Wonder why all the doctors who have the money but stopped paying their loan payments are not treated in the same manner?

13. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

I can not find anything on this ???