What Don't You Like About The Gay Community?

Discussion in 'Gay & Lesbian Rights' started by 808state, Jun 13, 2011.

1. 808state

808state New Member

I figure we can step away from the topics of gays and marriage, the military, and public schools for a moment, and talk about what issues people have with the gay/lesbian community itself. This thread is not just a thread for conservatives to spill their dislikes in, but for others as well. As a gay person, I definitely take issue with certain things I see in the gay community.

Personally, I see a lot of racism, homophobia, transphobia, etc. in the community. No more than with straight people, but still for a community that preaches "human equality", you'd think they walk the walk more often. Not that all gay people think are racist, homophobic, or transphobic, my criticisms of the gay/lesbian community are ones that many other gay people have as well...so, there's hope I suppose.

So, yeah, I'm sure many of the criticisms are going to be quite different than mine, but I'm curious to see what other people's perceptions are.

ps. I am in no way implying that the "gay community" is a monolithic group that can be summed up with generalizations, again, I'm just curious to see what perceptions of others are.

2. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

That such a tiny minority thinks they can push the Massive Majority around still ...:bored:

texmaster and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

Strategies win fights most times; not mere muscle. Education of the populace, makes a major difference (over time); understanding and garnering allies in the struggle, are important things.

4. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe Banned

Get ready for the push back in 12 ( And prop H8te to be vindicated)

5. Catch

Catch Banned

They don't have protected sex in large enough numbers.

6. Frogger

Frogger Well-Known Member Past Donor

There are as many different gay communities as there are straight communities. There are flamboyant gays, sexual predator gays, promiscuos gays, monogamous gays, celebate gays, just as there are the same groups among straights.

I have no problem with gays, per se, but I do have a problem with pushy, floamboyant gays, just as I have a problem with pushy, flamboyant straights.

Johnny-C and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Johnny-C

I do too. From what I can see, homosexuals are only a small fraction of a degree from being just like every other human being. The human differences in us aren't even worth noting the vast majority of the time. The HYPE surrounding the mechanics of how we express ourselves (sexually), has given many the false idea that we are not just like other human beings.

Some gay people learn to be more 'humane' because of their suffering; others become as bitter, resentful and hateful as anyone else... due to their suffering.

Suffering is a "crucible" of sorts; and not all (people) come out of the fire in the same condition. Some turn out to be more empathetic and compassionate overall; they learn to take their pain and harness it in positive and helpful ways.

I'm happy you brought this up. All too often, people get the inaccurate notion, that homosexual people are completely 'different' than other human beings... we aren't.

From you question in this OP, you actually served to remind me of how much we are like everyone else; human and full of diversity.

Thanks! :)

8. Johnny-C

Amen to that! Bravo!

9. Johnny-C

How can you actually quantify such a comparison? (Not saying it's impossible to do, just wondering how you reached your conclusion.)

10. dudeman

dudeman New Member

When does it end? short, tall, fat, skinny, diabetic, epileptic, cancerous, stupid, smart, parkinsonian, spina bifidan, happy, sad, etc. Give rights to one retarded concept and you give rights to all retarded concepts. Open the floodgates.

11. Catch

Catch Banned

Eh, a few studies I've seen suggest that gays don't engage in safe-sex in the same numbers (percentages) as straight couples.

12. This is my username

This is my username New Member

I don't like the stereotypical gay accent. That is all.

13. Johnny-C

I wonder what the ratio is. I'm certain that a LOT of heterosexuals are taking great risks as well.

In any case, I'd have to agree that many gay men have less reason to settle-down, than most straight people (who can marry legally with someone who is sexually-compatible).

And anyone having sex, simply should take precautions. Personally, I tell ALL the gay/straight people I know are sexually active... to take precautions; you can't be "lucky" every time.

14. Johnny-C

Ha-Ha! A lot of gay guys I've been with, don't realize that many 'other' gay guys, LIKE the masculinity in other men (though they are masculine themselves).

I swear, some guys are as feminine (if not more) than my sisters. :)

I don't mind some amount of femininity... but not that stuff where I feel like I'm in some movie-scene. :)

15. 808state

808state New Member

Aww. Don't be too hard on the effeminate ones. One of my friends is gay and he is often mistaken for a female over the phone and he hates it, but he can't change his voice. He tries to talk lower, but can't really pull it off naturally. He's convinced he'll never get a boyfriend because of it, and he doesn't like the idea that some people might think he's just putting it on because he's gay.

16. Johnny-C

Yeah, I am compassionate about it. Heck, I know VERY straight men who are as feminine as can be; high voices and all. They try to 'adjust' things (as you describe above) and fail too. :)

Yes. I believe we shouldn't poke too much fun about that.

17. Catch

Catch Banned

If I'm going to throw out more insensitive stereotypes and generalizations:

I hate how the gay community is always trying to hook you up with someone. I'm engaged and some of my gay friends are worse than my mom was when she went through her whole "you're going to die alone" phase...

18. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

What accent would this be?

19. Johnny-C

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaChXj0wjbs&feature=related"]This guy[/ame] is somewhat feminine, but he is reasonable and cool.

I think many gay guys who MUST be closeted (like me) FEAR the very feminine acting (or talking) gay guys, because it can blow their "cover". I'm not actually turned-off by the very feminine gay guys, but since I cannot be OUT (yet)... I've learned to steer clear (in the public sense). For me, it was/is about my "cover".

I don't dislike the exaggerated femininity of some gay men... but I can't be seen in public, close to someone acting that way; it would get me into massive trouble."

20. NaturalBorn

NaturalBorn New Member Past Donor

Stay in the closet! I do not want children propagandized or recruited in the schools and on television. (Turning the channel is no longer an option. Maybe a "TV-Q" rating for parents and content blocking software.)

Second, if you plan to engage in risky sexual behavior you should be required to buy a separate health insurance rider, like buying flood insurance.

texmaster and (deleted member) like this.
  21. 808state

808state New Member

Are you Christian?

22. Johnny-C

The above could be 'EXHIBIT-A', as I continue to make the point about BIGOTED comments. And without a doubt, you've motivated me to COME OUT of that closet with spotlights, streamers, confetti and music!! I hope MILLIONS OF OTHERS do so even before I do.

More bigoted BS, clearly based upon a bigoted assumption. (What could the source of such thinking be?)

I enjoy it when people show clearly where they are coming from.

23. Johnny-C

Have you seen the words or character of Jesus expressed somewhere in this thread? I'm always open to seeing that. :(

I admit that I'm not perfect myself; not by any means.

24. dixiehunter

dixiehunter Banned

Johnny-C.....What you stated is very nice.....It tells me that there is always hope for a lost sheep.
    The life reality of norm is in you....but there is that one distraction.....And it is called confussion.

You can defeat it, and become a pure, totally normal child of the Lord. As he and the Creator intended it to be.
    Many other lost souls have found themselves, and disgarded the gay lifestyle.

I give cuddos and respect those that did.

Hey, but who am I to say do this, don't do that........A Bigot.?....as I am called.

25. Catch

Catch Banned

Well, a self-declared bigot; guess it's safe to call you one now.

No one should seek to change anyone else. If I have to put up with you and your antics, you should have to put up with them.