The Right to Die

Discussion in 'Human Rights' started by Buried & Me, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Buried & Me

Buried & Me New Member

You have the right to live, right? Why not have the right to die?

I don't mean just euthanasia, but suicide as well.

You can say it is a good thing to keep a person from killing them-self, but why is it bad for someone to commit suicide?

What is it with laws who punish suicide attempts (and euthanasia)? Why take someone's right to choose whether they want to live or not?

Searched "right to die". Didn't find anything. FYI

2. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

Because they're dead.

3. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Most suicide attempts are for a passing suicidal condition.

Euthanasia, for those who are dying of a terminal illness, should be a state assisted thing.

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would have thought that in principal, if we have a right to life it includes an implicit right to death. How can something be a true right if you don't have the option to refuse it?

There are practical questions of course, and with the right to life they're quite significant given the permanent nature of refusing this specific right.

5. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Well-Known Member Past Donor

I completely agree. When an animal has a terminal illness we humanely euthanize it to prevent unnecessary suffering. We should do the same for humans with some attendant restrictions, of course.

6. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

If you are against people taking their own life, presumably you also believe that the homeless should be given food and shelter so they do not die from starvation or cold. Something to think about. Of course, it is far easier for our society to try to solve problems by punishing people than actually doing anything to help them.

http://www.jimmyr.com/blog/Bunny_Suicide_Comic_Pics_226_2007.php

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

It should be illegal for people to try to kill themselves... the mandatory punishment should be the death penalty! :bump:

Beevee and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PatrickT

PatrickT Well-Known Member

I have an absolute right to die at a time and place of my chosing if I wish.

No one has a right to kill me, without a trial and sentence, without my consent even if they're liberals doing it for my own good or the good of the group.

Aside from paraplegics, I can't imagine why anyone would need help committing suicide.

9. Clint Torres

Clint Torres New Member

The right to die is the ultimate freedom of choice. If any man or woman can take their own life, I salute them. Aside from all the religious stuff, some see death as a more dignified way to live out their life. I have seen severe alcoholics that wanted to die so bad that they actually complete suicide without telling any one they are going to kill themselves. Some say they would rather die than go on with life with alcoholism, and they seek help by threatning suicide.

In most US states, if a person is dangerious to self or others, the court can have them commited and treated for up to 72 hours against their will.

In some cases Dr. Death Korvorkian of MI would have stepped in and give someone with a degenerative fatal condition the death juice.

People should have the right to end their life. That is true freedom that any individual can choose. But most people do not have the guts to do it.

10. los2rec

los2rec New Member

The real problem is that even if people bypass you when you are starving, they WILL expect you to get help or expect an authority to assist in keeping you alive. They do this even though they themselves naturally despise desperate looking people (of course). People are just too afraid of their own futures to leave you alone if you choose not to be desperate but starve yourself instead. They think you do something when you starve, that they would not be able to do. This fear is what kills the right to die.

11. Sooner28

Sooner28 New Member

So if your family has no money, and you are brain dead and have shown no signs of recovering for 10 years, and you haven't signed anything to say that you want the plug pulled in a situation like that, what exactly should be done?

12. other guy

other guy Member

They will pull the plug on you, it happens every day, they just don't tell anyone.

13. Sooner28

Sooner28 New Member

I would be perfectly OK with calling it killing. I think it would be justified killing though, kind of like when we put an animal down that can longer be helped and is constant pain.

14. Cady

Cady Well-Known Member Past Donor

When suffering animals are put down, it's called humane. But not so for people...

15. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

The practical reason being that the definition of insanity has to do with the possibility of harming one's self. Basically, our society views anybody that wants to die to be crazy. We can't allow crazy people the right to end their lives.

16. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Animals are property. They can be put down for any reason. NOt a good analogy.

17. PatrickT

A. Too many are drunk when they do it.
    B. Most of the reasons for suicide are petty and temporary. Let's see, make that incredibily stupid.
    C. With certain safeguards, I support physician-assisted suicide if people wish.

A survey of peope who either jumped from the Golden Gate bridge and lived or were stopped as they were jumping found that well over 90% never attempted suicide again.

Euthanasia is murder.

18. PatrickT

No. If I decide I should die it's called suicide. If you decide I should die it's called murder.

Do you really think your deciding that someone should die makes your killing them justified?

19. Sooner28

Sooner28 New Member

So let's keep them in a vegetative state forever... great great solution. And taking what you said literally, you would need to be against the death penalty (though you might be I don't know).

20. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

My body is the property of me. I should have the right to decide how I terminate my life, and when.

21. PatrickT

I'm sorry. Did I say keeping them in a vegitative state forever is a desirable option. And I'm in favor of the death penalty. You really don't get it.

If you decide you need to die, it's suicide. If you decide someone else needs to die, it's murder.

You apparently think if I decide you should die because your lack of logic has reached a critical level and I then kill you, your death should be permissible.

People do wish to conflate euthenasia and assisted-suicide. They're separate issues. If I decide it's time for me to die and you kill me, it's assisted suicide. If I decide it's time for you to die, it's murder.

22. PatrickT

Absolutely. That's suicide. But, Makedde, do I have the right to decide how and when to terminate your life? And, what if I'm going to make my decision based on your answer?

23. Cady

Cady Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe you don't get it. Animals are put down when they are suffering and can't recover in order to end their misery. However, people can't be euthanized to end their misery. Why is it humane to end the misery of animals, but not people?

Viv and (deleted member) like this.
  24. PatrickT

Dogs and cats can't give consent so we get to decide. People can give consent and we should decide for them. That's why my living will, which both my children have a copy of, says who has my permission to decide and under what circumstances. That living will isn't for me. It's so my children don't have to make the kind of decisions I've had to make.

When you decide it's time to die it's suicide. If someone else decides it's time for you to die, absent a trial, it's murder.

25. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

You don't have the right to end my life unless I have left specific guidelines to be followed in the event of accident or illness that renders me incapable of voicing my desire to die.