+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your theory on why the USA has not been to the moon in the past 40 years?

Default What is your theory on why the USA has not been to the moon in the past 40 years?

Why has the USA not been to the moon for the past 40 years? Technology is better, computers are faster and smaller, there are better materials, and the food is also better. So why do they just waist money orbiting the earth, why not go to the moon a few more times to build houses and golf courses?

Does not make sense to me. No mountain is climbed just once, No ocean is crossed just once.

Is the USA waiting for China to invent the first shuttle bus to the moon?

Fill me in on the details on why the USA will not go to the moon again.

australia au queensland
    Location: QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Orion Spur, Milky Way

Why has the deepest part of the ocean only been explored a grand total of once? That's less times than the moon.

3. Likes Cassius liked this post
  4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Torres View Post
    Why has the USA not been to the moon for the past 40 years? Technology is better, computers are faster and smaller, there are better materials, and the food is also better. So why do they just waist money orbiting the earth, why not go to the moon a few more times to build houses and golf courses?

Does not make sense to me. No mountain is climbed just once, No ocean is crossed just once.

Is the USA waiting for China to invent the first shuttle bus to the moon?

Fill me in on the details on why the USA will not go to the moon again.
    Yes much of the technology has improved. Nevertheless going to the moon is very expensive, uses a lot of resources is still a high risk venture.

At this point going to the moon again is simply not worth the effort. Perhaps someday if it becomes feasible to use the moon as a launch base to Mars and beyond we will go back but for now it simply isn't worth it to collect some more rocks.

5. Default

The reason they haven't ever gone to the moon is probably space radiation. Here's some alternative info on that.
    http://www.politicalforum.com/moon-l...ml#post3989728

6. Likes allegoricalfact liked this post
  7. Default

The race to put men on the moon was an entirely political scheme to demonstrate the USAs technical superiority over the godless commies of the USSR. There were limited practical benefits to those missions. It was really just dangerous, wasteful bravado (that the Russians were equally guilty of).

For all the technical advances, manned missions to the moon would be very expensive and very dangerous. If anything, the technology makes it even less appealing since the options for unmanned missions using automated or remote-controlled equipment are ever wider.

8. Default

I agree with much being said above, and the addition that we are pretty focused on a mission to Mars presently.

9. Default

I agree with much being said above, and the addition that we are pretty focused on a mission to Mars presently.
    Or we are just being hustled so the money will keep flowing. Nobody is going to Mars in the next 70 years if ever.
    There are only two things wrong with this great nation of ours, democrats and republicans!

Not necessarily in that order.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

10. Default

What is your theory on why the USA has not been to the moon in the past 40 years?
    There hasnt been a reason to. At first the reason was exploration and to say that we've done it...but thats all been done. We have nothing to prove anymore.

There are prelim plans to return to the moon to exploit its resources. It has lots of titanium and helium 3 (which will be used as reactor fuel for Fusion power), and would be a useful launchpad for other planetary missions.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
    Or we are just being hustled so the money will keep flowing. Nobody is going to Mars in the next 70 years if ever.
    You think so? I know there are major obstacles they are still hurtling/ figuring out but I thought they were seeing it happening within in the next ten years or so. My opinion it is most certainly only a matter of time, and it will happen in far less time than 70 years. Think of how many amazing leaps have been made in the past 70 years, and how technological advancements have proceed exponentially, things are outdated in months to a year. I can't imagine it taking that long to launch a mission to mars. They have already tackled issues first thought to make such a mission impossible.
    Last edited by marleyfin; Jul 07 2011 at 07:11 AM.

12. Default

You think so? I know there are major obstacles they are still hurtling/ figuring out but I thought they were seeing it happening within in the next ten years or so. My opinion it is most certainly only a matter of time, and it will happen in far less time than 70 years. Think of how many amazing leaps have been made in the past 70 years, and how technological advancements have proceed exponentially, things are outdated in months to a year. I can't imagine it taking that long to launch a mission to mars. They have already tackled issues first thought to make such a mission impossible.
    Other than the spectacle of the thing what would be the point? Unless there is something that would make it a profitable venture, what is the significance of placing a man there. We have already proven that robotics can do the job sufficiently, without the threat to human subjects. I see a bunch more robotics being developed before I see the need for a man to have to physically place his feet on the soil of Mars.

Remember the next step on the moon was colonization. What happened to that idea?? It proved to be not profitable. Right now the only profits in the NASA program is squeezing every dime out of tax payers that they can, so they don't have to use their own money.
    There are only two things wrong with this great nation of ours, democrats and republicans!

Not necessarily in that order.

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast