View Poll Results: Are you willing to participate in 1 on 1 debates here at PoliticalForum?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

65 46.76%
  • No

44 31.65%
  • Maybe... Some clarification is needed

34 24.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647

Thread: PF Debates: Will You Participate?

Well this entire sub-forum died a month ago.

You need two people to debate- that is- only two users can post to the thread.

An incentive is needed- points. Those points we all have... propose a debate and throw say, 1000 points to the winner. Find someone willing to take you up and they throw in 1000 points. Your OP would be "Taxation is theft- 1000 points to winner".

Let them debate until a moderator steps in and ends it. Then you start a poll thread to see who won the popular vote. The winner gets the points.

Problem I see here is that everything is turning into threads with one person's assertions and 20 people coming at him against him- that's not how a debate works.

2. Stand Taller and Look Better with the LUMOback Posture and Activity Coach. <LINK> Learn More Here! </LINK>

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmpet View Post

An incentive is needed- points. Those points we all have... propose a debate and throw say, 1000 points to the winner. Find someone willing to take you up and they throw in 1000 points. Your OP would be "Taxation is theft- 1000 points to winner".

Let them debate until a moderator steps in and ends it. Then you start a poll thread to see who won the popular vote. The winner gets the points.

Problem I see here is that everything is turning into threads with one person's assertions and 20 people coming at him against him- that's not how a debate works.
    In my observation, there are posters that prefer debating with themselves only. So my suggestion is to rephrase the question in the following fashion. Will you debate with a 3rd party even if they are not identical to permutations of yourself?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jmpet View Post

What is a point? How do you get 1,000 of them? What side of the debate would you take? I imagine I could take either side of the debate. I am in, though it would be better to wait until monday to start it, as that is when my final exams end, and I will have more time to commit to such a debate.
    Im a Tarte, what! you want some of this!

The essence of any utopianism is: Conjure an ideal that makes an impossible demand on reality, then announce that, until the demand is met in full, your ideal can't be fairly evaluated. Attribute any incidental successes to the halfway meeting of the demand, any failure to the halfway still to go.

Quote Originally Posted by spt5 View Post
    In my observation, there are posters that prefer debating with themselves only. So my suggestion is to rephrase the question in the following fashion. Will you debate with a 3rd party even if they are not identical to permutations of yourself?
    That was quite droll, I thought.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    That was quite droll, I thought.
    I am a lesser version of you. Upgrade me.

Quote Originally Posted by spt5 View Post
    I am a lesser version of you. Upgrade me.
    Would you just accept a Rep instead...

If there is one thing I have learned from posting these past 7 years on various boards , it is that there is no such thing as a debate on an internet forum.

There is only idle chat, and pissing contests.
    "What we've got here, is failure to communicate"

I think the best solution would be to simply allow mods to judge a debate. They are more likely to be non-partisan and unbiased then a general user.
    Last edited by Daggdag; Jul 05 2013 at 03:46 AM.
    "To the primitive mind, any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
    Arthur C. Clarke

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by E_Pluribus_Venom View Post
    Pretty straight forward. We'd like to get a preliminary head count of members interested in debate participation (keeping in mind that no structure has been decided on at this point in time... particularly regarding the judging process). Those of you who have contacted me via pm with launch inquiries can make their intentions known here. Thanks in advance
    Please don't set it up like DDO.

Uuuugh.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 374344454647