Slow, Slow And Slower...

Discussion in 'Announcements & Community Discussions' started by RevAnarchist, Jul 19, 2011.

1. RevAnarchist

RevAnarchist New Member Past Donor

What has happened to one of my most favorite sites? Maybe my most very most favorite? Sometimes the PF site reacts to page transactions rather quickly, but lately for the last week pages open so slowly the detested (by me) 20 time limit expires during an edit! I lose the edit and am stuck with an unedited post for god and the world to see! Its not only the edit page that is slow all are, even opening from the email notification. Often it takes five min or more to open and I have a cable modem. This is the only site that has the problem. I hope it can be fixed and if its my end please help because I have been visiting other sites that do not have this problem. Its really exasperating. But I do stand in front of the microwave and yell hurry upÂ…

reava

2. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

We are aware of the problem and we all agree it is certainly frustrating! The Admin is working on it. Just be patient with us and hopefully it'll be sorted out before too long. :)

3. RevAnarchist

Thanks Makedde! BTW, I am grateful for the site's great mods, the site proper, and for the friends I have made here~ I hope to donate again soon, when bogie (my basset hound) starts a new job to bring in some extra income.

reva

4. Hard-Driver

Hard-Driver Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was going to post the same thing... Web hosting does not cost that much and it seems like there is a pretty decent donation stream coming in now. I can see over a years worth of web hosting on a fast site already paid for just this month..

5. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

No hurry. I'm finishing my MBA between page loads.

6. Jiyuu-Freedom

Jiyuu-Freedom Keep the peace Past Donor

I can polish all ten fingernails waiting for the site to load and drink a cup of coffee..:mrgreen:

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  7. B.Larset

B.Larset Well-Known Member Past Donor

Laughin helps I guess. Someone start a thread : Things to do between PF page loads.

8. pottle1918

pottle1918 Banned

Yeah this is pretty annoying. Talk about slow.

9. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

Gosh, when I saw this thread title I thought it was about Ubama....Yes, PF is still slow after being down for 2 days.

10. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member Past Donor

[​IMG] Yeah , well 6 months is enough time to get things fixed , , things ain't fixed , , and I and everyone else here on PF is about fed-up with BS excuses . . enough is enough . .

Mak , would you please ask the owner what will it take to fix PF .

How much money is needed to get a new server that actually works ?

Mak , PF is home , we all care .

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

The amazing thing about having this site go down for a coupla days is finding other places to post that are F-A-S-T!!! I forgot how much fun it is to post on a site with fast response time!

HB, I don't think the problem is the server... they've got a corrupted database and the only thing that will help is to wipe it out and start over. Really don't understand what the problem is... this ain't the national archives. Nobody cares about posts that were made 5 years ago. Clean out the dam archives and see if that helps!

12. Kramer

Kramer Member

^^^
    I have been sitting here for two days eating CUPCAKES and wondering why I should contribute financially to this site which has a chronic problem that that shows no signs of being fixed.

13. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

possum thinks mebbe dey need...

... one o' dem website accelerators...

... to make it go faster.
    :fart:

14. RevAnarchist

I donated again, last week, because I still post on this site more than most. However I have noticed some other disturbing trends that have nothing to do with speed. At the risk of derailing my own thread I feel the need to mention the problem here as I have just learned of a dear friend being included in a unfair mod action (IMO). I criticize with a heavy heart because I have a loyalty to this site because it was fair, and I love the mods like sisters and brothers. (I love all like bros and Sis's except for one and a half ha ha). Again, I joined this site and have remained because it was a fair site, and a site where the moderation was very balanced. Most sites are severely left wing as are the mods on the other sites, and they are intolerant to those with a conservative view and severely intolerant to those with a intensely religious paradigm.

The problem that has recently arisen is that the site is becoming a haven for those bashing my religion. Personally I have not been warned etc, however, I have seen taunts and belittlement go noticed while my religious friends have been getting warnings for flame baiting etc (where I saw none) while in the same thread the religion bashers were almost being encouraged to insult the religious and the religion etc. If I had seen these examples of reverse discrimination and abuse of authority (by mostly one moderator) I would not have donated. Additionally, if the problem is not resolved I see no reason to remain here. I mean no one can fight city hall. I have not written the administrator yet, hoping that the problem will be cured internally. I'm not asking for favoritism only fairness.

Rev A

Shangrila and (deleted member) like this.
  15. HillBilly

Smarty , I can roll with that , sounds like a good idea to me .

I save my stuff to a flash drive anyway , so I've a record of my PM's .

I've never understood the problems that PF has had / is having , , ,I'm not a PC guy , ya know ? LOL , I turn it on , and turn it off . LOL :)

Thinking back a few years , this is how BuzzDash ended , sad .

If the supporters of PF were just told what the problem is , and how much money it would take to fix the problem , it could be that we all could join together and raise enough money to help resolve the problem .

However , I'm reluctant to donate further until I hear more about what's being done to fix PF .

16. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

Just to share what the site owner has told us.

The size of the database is a problem. We have the host site that can accommodate a large amount of data but we even press the limits of that. Few understand that literally millions of posts are made over time. In less than a year over a million individual posts are made and many of those can be rather large.

The site owner is addressing two things from what I understand. First of all is archiving about a million or more old posts from several years ago. Next the owner is looking at purchasing more space on the server.

Yes, some other forums are faster and generally speaking it's because they are significantly smaller in both members and data. I'm a member of another forum and there are all of about 20 active members. No wonder it's fast. So in a sense we're a victim of our own success because we have tens of thousands of members and milllions and millions of stored posts.

All I know is that the site owner is actively trying to make things better and that's what is key to me as a member. Perhaps others feel differently but we do know that things improved dramatically for a spell and then the system crashed. Hopefully the owner will quickly improve the site performance again as I know that is the goal.

Shiva_TD
    Site Moderator

17. HillBilly

well said and true RevA .

I would have repped you for your post , but have to wait and spread it around before I can . . .

It seems to me that the PF Admin is passing the buck on many threads . most of the posts lately are one-liners , , a lengthier post is lost in PF la-la land , database errors / cetra , cetra . :frustrated:

It is a shame and a disgrace that trolling is allowed on the Religious threads , but the PF Mods not only allow trolling , but it seems to me that is actually encouraged , especially on the Religious threads .

I will stand-up and agree with you 100 % , especially since a few PF Mods have taken the position of re-structuring the abuse function that is used to report abusive posts .

It seems as though the PFAdmin is lacking in moral integrity and intestional fortitude ( otherwise know as 'guts' )

As for me , I have always stood up for what I believe in , and I always will , and if I'm banned for that , I'll consider it a black-eye of HONOR .

I will say what is in my heart , I will stand-up and be counted , and I am not afraid , Gods Holy Word tells me that if God is with me , no one can stand against me , and I believe that with all my heart / soul .

My friend , I will stand with you , God has said where two or more are gathered in His name , there He will abide as well . Amen ?

Let us pray for PF , and may God speak in our behalf to the PF Owner , and make things right . Amen ?

18. RevAnarchist

Thanks for your reply HB. As I said Its not just me, I have received lets see...several e mails and several PMs from members wondering why our site is suddenly sliding from it's center fairness to the left. I am hoping against hope that the trend does not continue. I have made many friends here at PM (with a good number of them Mods) and do not want to see this site go the way of a zillion other heavy liberal sites that already exist on the net. I hesitate to write the Administrator or to quit the site as I have a vested interest both in a small, even tiny financial investment to a huge piece of my heart and time here. But the issue is getting that serious and its with a heavy heart I say these things publicly. I am afraid if I say nothing and just quit or stop posting that would be worse than speaking up before things get worse, eh?

Again thanks and God bless you...

Rev A

19. RevAnarchist

The title says it all as does the emoticons .

:frustrated: It has happened again :chainsaw: Jan 30 on and off all day then from around 6pm to 12 am not able to log on:bonk:!!!!!:frustrated: I know all that can is being done still, maybe the right people do not know about it?

reva

20. RevAnarchist

While I am on a (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) fit I might as well say something else. Even the little IT problems aren't fixed. When the time limit expires and we get that little useless pop up that reads like this;

vBulletin Message

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 20 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message. Cancel Changes

Cancel Changes

All well and good however when the hyperlink to contact the administrator is tried we get a PAGE NOT FOUND. I know the mods tried to make suggestions ie to contact them, and I thank them for it, but that is not the point! How difficult is it to make the hyperlink operational if not to the administrator who seems not to be able to be bothered for day to day operations but to a moderator tasked for such a thing. It just seems that if the little things are not fixed what hope do we have for the entire site going down for a day or half a day or whatever??? I will honestly say that THIS site is the ONLY one one the several I post at that has this problem. Herkey jerkey keylogger like actions and slow page transitions even with a cable modem...jessus' to whom it concerns or cares please try to fix this thang' ....

And for the mods that have attempted to fix the problem I do thank you, but its not really your alls' fault or place to fix this little but life threatening aggravating reoccurring MESS,
    that said ;

your unselfish unpaid work in moderation field is truly appreciated !!! ....

Reva

21. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

this song helps with the stress during the wait time when the site is running slow, hope it helps.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrEN-YKLBM"]Under Pressure - YouTube[/ame]

22. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

The site is running fast for me now. How is it for everyone else?

23. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says yesterday an' last night it was so slow...

... it was like the board was constipated.
    :omg:

24. Shiva_TD

Shiva_TD Progressive Libertarian Past Donor

During peak usage times such as late afternoons and evenings I also see a slowdown. Obviously the shear number of members posting at once slows down server speed. In this I think that Political Forum is adversely effected by it's own success.

Shiva_TD
    Site Moderator

25. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

That doesn't explain failure to log-in { data base failure }
    Someone in charge of winding up the spring for this
    pop stand is goofin off.Or taking long lunch breaks.