CNN Poll" 66% Support Cut, Cap, and Balance. 74% Support Balanced Budget Amendment

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lex Naturalis, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Lex Naturalis

Lex Naturalis New Member

CNN Poll" 66% Support Cut, Cap, and Balance. 74% Support Balanced budget Amendment

In the words of Barack Obama I guess the American People are SOLD. See here, or here, or here.

Of course, the majority of Americans have always supported a balanced budget amendment.

............................................................................[​IMG]

So it looks like the American people are sold. Just not the way the DNC wants them to be. God only knows where this guy gets his numbers from. However, he wont be bragging about the CNN poll this time.[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u8m4x53qug"]‪Obama: American people are 'sold' on balanced approach‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

The CNN Poll can be found here. You know, its funny what people support when you dont mention political party. They take the conservative way almost every time. However, if you included the party name "or persons" it would be alot different. I guess thats the world we live in.

Otter, sec, Grokmaster and 3 others like this.
  2. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

The OP makes a GREAT CASE, does he not? :woot:

3. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

looks to me like Obama is winning the PR war if you examine the poll. Boehner needs to get something passed

4. Grokmaster

Grokmaster Well-Known Member Past Donor

Boehner needs to grow a pair...

5. Lex Naturalis

Lex Naturalis New Member

Sure the media is on Obamas side.The American people arent.

6. Lex Naturalis

Lex Naturalis New Member

Perhaps this poll will give him the pair he's looking for.

7. jackdog

why so Obamas numbers can get higher? examine questions 18, 19 and 20

8. Lex Naturalis

Lex Naturalis New Member

My op already covers this in the last sentences.

jackdog and (deleted member) like this.
  9. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

It would be great if that 74 percent of American citizens realized that the balanced budget amendment basically disregards the fact that there are two clauses that make its rigid provisions illegitimate. These clauses are the necessary and proper clause, and the elastic cluase. Both of these clauses provide a flexibility and allow implied powers in the context of constitutional law. This balanced budget amendment sets too many rigid standards that should not be in place.

It would also be great in that 74 percent of American citizens realized that you need to have a balanced budget before you can propose an amendment for it. It would be one thing if we were a fiscally stable position in our federal government, and someone proposed this amendment. However, we are over 14 trillion dollars in debt, and proposing a balanced budget amendment is unnecessary if you want to keep all policy options on the table for a budget and debt reduction proposal.

10. jackdog

most people in this country are woefully ignorant. In my family only my Mother in Law and myself pay more than glancing attention to the news

11. Kingofwow

Kingofwow New Member

Am I wrong or is this suppose to go the Senate tomorrow to be voted on? The Rep from the House have been let out and now at home campaigning, know this because the MSNBC people say they will hear from the people in Grocery Stores! And they will be told to do what the Emperor Child Obama wants them to do. Yet though, are not Grocery Stores pretty much Tea Party People hang out? LOL, when all is said and done I can't help to think that the left is gonna be left with a lot of egg on their faces. Of course it should make for some good soundbites as the main street media has no clue on what is coming.

My prediction, if the House Bill is allowed on the floor of the Senate, which I don't see a good way for the Dem's to block it, it passes and the ball is on our Emperor Child Obama's lap. My guess, he signs it, he knows by now him and his staff couldn't manage it if he veto's it so he'll sign it.

12. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

Poll Question

In those discussions, several budget plans have been proposed that would reduce the amount the government owes by trillions of dollars over the next ten years. If you had to choose, would you rather see Congress and President Obama agree to a budget plan that only includes cuts in government spending, or a budget plan that includes a combination of spending cuts and tax increases on higher-income Americans and some businesses?

Only spending cuts: 34%
    Spending cuts and tax increases: 64%

By a two third margin, people polled approve a tax increase to reduce the deficits.

I don't recall that being a part of the Cut, Cap and balance Deal.

13. Iriemon

Based on what you have read or heard about the discussions between ongress and Barack Obama on the debt ceiling, do you think Obama has or has not acted responsibly?

Yes, has acted responsibly 52%

Based on what you have read or heard about the discussions between ongress and Barack Obama on the debt ceiling, do you think the Republicans in Congress have or have not acted responsibly?

No, have not 63%

Not an impressive reflection on the Republicans.

14. Iriemon

In some proposals, Congress would raise the debt ceiling while cutting between two trillion and four trillion dollars in government spending over the next ten years and raising taxes on some businesses and higher-income Americans.

Favor 66%

2/3 favor raising taxes on businesses and the rich.

That's not in the Cut Cap and Balance proposal.

15. Iriemon

In another proposal, Congress would give President Obama the ability to raise the debt ceiling several times in the next 18 months while cutting a smaller amount in government spending and not raising taxes at all. Would you favor or oppose this proposal?

Oppose 65%

2/3 oppose no tax increases.

16. jackdog

I will bet a 20 dollar PF donation that it will not pass in the Senate

17. Iriemon

In another proposal, Congress would raise the debt ceiling only if a balanced budget amendment were passed by both houses of Congress and substantial spending cuts and caps on future spending were approved.

Favor 66%

Here's where 2/3 favor the Cut cap and balance.

No mention of taxes in the question though.

18. 2012Vote!

2012Vote! New Member

Boehner needs to grow a set and stand up to the Tea Party and say, "we have to raise the debt ceiling." But, I don't see him doing it.

19. Iriemon

LOL - this next question shows the classic Pass the Buck generation position. They are all for cutting spending, until you start mentioning specific things to cut!

Now I'm going to read you some of the specific proposals for cutting government spending and increasing taxes that have been suggested as part of the discussions on the debt ceiling. For each one, please tell me whether you favor or oppose that proposal as a way to reduce the amount that the government owes.

Cutting federal subsidies to farmers: 66% Oppose.

Cutting pensions and benefits for retired government workers: 68% Oppose

Cutting defense spending: 52% oppose

Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicaid, the federal health program for the poor: 77% Oppose

Cutting the amount the government spends on Medicare,
    the federal health program for the elderly 87% Oppose

Cutting the amount the government spends on Social Security: 84% Oppose

LOL, they all want to cut trillions of spending, but don't want to cut any of these major programs. Where do these folks think these trillions in spending can get cut?

If you don't cut defense, medicaid, aid to the poor, medicare, and SS, their ain't much left to cut folks!

20. Iriemon

But they're OK with tax increases on the rich:

Increasing the taxes paid by oil and gas companies by ending
    federal subsidies for those businesses 73% approve.

Increasing the taxes paid by businesses that own private jets: 76% approve

Increasing the taxes paid by people who make more than
    250 thousand dollars a year: 73% approve.

21. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

He does and it point to another 2010 rout for the Senate in 2012 if they hold their backward course.

22. jackdog

Boehner is between a rock and a hard spot with a Democratic controlled Senate being the rock and the Tea Party being the hard spot. I like the ideals of the Tea Party but their idea of war strategy is about on the level of kamikaze pilots

23. Iriemon

The detail in the poll says otherwise.

24. Professor Peabody

I know it won't, but that will depend if Reid lets the Senate vote on it. The Senate sat and watched the slaughter in the house due to going against the will of the voters.

25. Professor Peabody

I hear the same crap in 2010. Ya'all got creamed for 63 seats.