Death Penalty for 'The U'?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BringDownMugabe, Aug 17, 2011.

1. BringDownMugabe

BringDownMugabe Well-Known Member

Source

I know this is more sports related, but this could spell doom for one of the most successful college football programs of all-time. This story involves so many aspects, I can't see how Miami survives it.

A convicted Ponzi scheme felon gave Miami football players loads of cash, threw them lavish parties at his mansion and yacht, spent thousands of dollars on them at strip clubs, placed bounties on opposing players, and even payed for an abortion for a Miami player.

This isn't the first time Miami has had these types of things done, which is another reason why I can see Miami football being abolished.

2. Eighty Deuce

Eighty Deuce New Member Past Donor

I don't think Miami was on thin enough ice yet. Sanctions for sure. But not "the death penalty" ala Southern Methodist 87-88.

3. BringDownMugabe

USC and Ohio St. got probation for players selling merchandise and receiving gifts. Those gifts were a fraction of what Miami players received. And it doesn't help that Shapiro has financial statements and pictures to back his story.

4. Eighty Deuce

Eighty Deuce New Member Past Donor

All that may be, and no doubt there will be sanctions. But the "death penalty" requires wanton disregard by responsible folks, usually already on probation. The loss of scholarships that will be a part of this, and likely inelegibility for a bowl game or two, will keep Miami from return to its glory days anytime soon.

Meanwhile, FSU rises back to national prominence, and the Gators will be OK. This state rocks in college football. :)

5. Kimaris

Kimaris New Member

Why should we care? If they want to screw around with strippers and party on million dollar yachts let them have at it. Its none of our business.

6. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

It's the NCAA's business. Such corruption is rare.

7. BringDownMugabe

Because that's a strict violation of NCAA regulations for one.

8. Kimaris

Kimaris New Member

Why have regulations like that to begin with? Does anyone here actually think our athletes are these innocent and virtuous people on all those PSAs?

9. BringDownMugabe

How is that fair for other schools? Not every school has boosters that can spend millions on players for their entertainment.

10. Kimaris

Kimaris New Member

Fairness is pretty much a meaningless term when one school could afford every treatment not yet banned and another might be able to afford Gatorade. To be honest, I generally hate the idea of any college using student tuition for the massive sink hole that is college sports. So if any school could find some crazy billionaire benefactor to pay off some baby mama I'd be more than happy.