+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eliminate Federal Department of Education

1. Default Eliminate Federal Department of Education

We should eliminate the Federal Department of Education. It is a waste of money and is counterproductive.

The DOE was created in 1979. There are no educational gains in the U.S. to show since that point. Hence, it's counterproductive, and should be eliminated. State and Local DOEs/BOEs should continue, but the feds have no legitimate business in this field.

If you go to NAEP, and look at longterm trends for 17 yr olds in reading and math, the scores are virtually unchanged. Since this is the case, why continue to waste the money?

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...a/dataset.aspx

$110 billion a year, I believe, wasted on this unconstitutional department. The government just loves to waste...
    If "government" was relabeled as "McDonald's," would you still support its theft, fraud, and constant murders?

This money pit of regulation needs total destruction. The FEDS have no place in education. NONE.

I would concur. I see no benefit to a federal department to interfere in state programs.

agreed! eliminate the Dept of Education, and the Dept of Energy - both are boondoggles which do far, far more damage than good.
    To Boldly Go

I would like to point out that if the Department of Education is eliminated that will not mean any of their employees will be unemployeed. They will simply be shifted to other existing departments or put into new departments being created. I hear the FDA already wants the Department of Education SWAT for their raw milk crusade.

True, the DOE on the Fed level would just shift around other and those who have no legitemate ties to corporations will be let go and they will go back to the corporations in which they lobbied for.

However, in the USA citizens pay way more for State run public education systems. In most states over 65% of your State tax dollars go to the public schools and state run universities. If the USA is to be saved from a total failure they should eliminate public schools and universities. Why, because the private sector meaning private schools cost less, to operate in the USA. And their outcome is better. Just ask any politician who sends their kids to private school. Why do you think that is? Reason is the public schools and their administrations are so expensive, and there is so much corruption of taxpayer money, that public shcools and their government funded unions are not able to account for the taxpayer money spent on the DOE.

If corporations want the technology of the State funded universities, than they should pay for it. Federal and State taxpayers should not be funding State universites professors $350,000 incomes to do 1 classess a day, and pay them Millions for reasearch projects to measure speed of katsup and monkeys. The corporations who use the technology whould be paying for it. Privatize the schools.

Can you imagine how much money that would save the USA taxpayer? Courts and police would be able to get more funding. Roads and rail would be better. Child welfare and immigration issues would be adressed. No State in the USA would be in debt if they privatized Public school.

Only the best teachers and administrators would be hired to work under the corporations of private schools. Only the best schools would be successfull and the failures will be replaced with other competing schools. All the loser teachers and administrators in the USA would be forced to do some real work in jobs that required at least 8 hours of full time work. No more gold brickers and shamers. The Goldbrickers will be forced to shape up, no more workers comp for the malingerers and duds. No more free government cheese for the incompetent. No more Government Employees Unions to suck tax dollars for increasing membership in public schools.

And best of all, the kids would be smarter. No longer would the USA be the Butt joke of all the emerging nations when it comes to public school education.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Torres View Post
    True, the DOE on the Fed level would just shift around other and those who have no legitemate ties to corporations will be let go and they will go back to the corporations in which they lobbied for.

However, in the USA citizens pay way more for State run public education systems. In most states over 65% of your State tax dollars go to the public schools and state run universities. If the USA is to be saved from a total failure they should eliminate public schools and universities. Why, because the private sector meaning private schools cost less, to operate in the USA. And their outcome is better. Just ask any politician who sends their kids to private school. Why do you think that is? Reason is the public schools and their administrations are so expensive, and there is so much corruption of taxpayer money, that public shcools and their government funded unions are not able to account for the taxpayer money spent on the DOE.

If corporations want the technology of the State funded universities, than they should pay for it. Federal and State taxpayers should not be funding State universites professors $350,000 incomes to do 1 classess a day, and pay them Millions for reasearch projects to measure speed of katsup and monkeys. The corporations who use the technology whould be paying for it. Privatize the schools.

Can you imagine how much money that would save the USA taxpayer? Courts and police would be able to get more funding. Roads and rail would be better. Child welfare and immigration issues would be adressed. No State in the USA would be in debt if they privatized Public school.

Only the best teachers and administrators would be hired to work under the corporations of private schools. Only the best schools would be successfull and the failures will be replaced with other competing schools. All the loser teachers and administrators in the USA would be forced to do some real work in jobs that required at least 8 hours of full time work. No more gold brickers and shamers. The Goldbrickers will be forced to shape up, no more workers comp for the malingerers and duds. No more free government cheese for the incompetent. No more Government Employees Unions to suck tax dollars for increasing membership in public schools.

And best of all, the kids would be smarter. No longer would the USA be the Butt joke of all the emerging nations when it comes to public school education.
    I wholeheartedly disagree with the above. I'm against federal funding for education, but I think that public schools (run by local government) are the reason for the success of our republic. I've seen the inside of schools as a teacher, a parent, a teacher's husband and an assistant principal's husband. The vast majority of school teachers are working hard at least 8 hrs a day (contract hour being 7 1/2 hrs a day) in addition to at least 5 hrs a week at home, grading and doing lesson plans.

Private schools not run by religious organizations are more expensive than public schools. Private schools run by religious organizations are only less expensive because 1) they are supplemented by the churches as a means of propagating their faith and 2) they are supplemented by teachers willing to work for lower salaries because they are true believers.

Non-sectarian (i.e. purely private) private schools have an average tuition of $17,316 a year (2009-2010). Public schools in 2007-2008 (lastest available) had an average cost per student of $10,441 per year.

Private school info

Public School info
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292.

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    I wholeheartedly disagree with the above. I'm against federal funding for education, but I think that public schools (run by local government) are the reason for the success of our republic. I've seen the inside of schools as a teacher, a parent, a teacher's husband and an assistant principal's husband. The vast majority of school teachers are working hard at least 8 hrs a day (contract hour being 7 1/2 hrs a day) in addition to at least 5 hrs a week at home, grading and doing lesson plans.

Private schools not run by religious organizations are more expensive than public schools. Private schools run by religious organizations are only less expensive because 1) they are supplemented by the churches as a means of propagating their faith and 2) they are supplemented by teachers willing to work for lower salaries because they are true believers.

Non-sectarian (i.e. purely private) private schools have an average tuition of $17,316 a year (2009-2010). Public schools in 2007-2008 (lastest available) had an average cost per student of $10,441 per year.

Private school info

Public School info
    That is a great country you live in. In the USA it is different. Teachers in the USA public schools only see things from their sheltered, safe, structured, privilaged lives and most have no idea how competitive it is to work in the outside world of education. As their whole lives are privilaged and sheltered by the education system and taxpayer dollar. Their reitrements are good, and they are often from teacher families that also live the privilaged lives.

Depending on the Country or the data you look at, the USA public school student consumes over $32,000. per year to educate. Where the private school does it for half the price and with superior outcome.

Although their intentions are good, the once humble profession of the 19th century is still teaching the ideas of the 19th century in a 21st century world. Most public school employees focus on themselves and their jobs, and most have tenure and could care less about accountability. After all they will have a new set of puples nest year. Also, public shcools in the USA have their own law enforcement system, laws, and regulations which protect their jobs and postitions more than comply with civil laws. With their government employee unions being the largest unions in the USA, and with the most members, they always get better benifits and work conditions, and more staff for more members.

I must contend that the best and cheepest ran schools in the USA are the private schools. Obama the priseident went to the most expensive private school in Hawaii. Many of the elite use these private schools as a grooming for successfull children. I know there are a thousand and one excuses why the private school is better and costs less. And because if you fix the problems of public schools in the USA rather than trying to get more tax payer money for the excuses, public schools might be able to compete with private schools in the uSA. But the fact is, with all the overhead, and entities and unaccounted for tax money that the massive public schools consume, it will never be better and as cheap as the private school.

Without the privitizaton of public schools the USA as a whole will fail. right now other countries are looking in the rearview mirror and laughing at the Public school system of the USA, acknowleging and avoiding the mistakes the USA public schools are making.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Torres View Post
    That is a great country you live in. In the USA it is different. Teachers in the USA public schools only see things from their sheltered, safe, structured, privilaged lives and most have no idea how competitive it is to work in the outside world of education. As their whole lives are privilaged and sheltered by the education system and taxpayer dollar. Their reitrements are good, and they are often from teacher families that also live the privilaged lives.

Depending on the Country or the data you look at, the USA public school student consumes over $32,000. per year to educate. Where the private school does it for half the price and with superior outcome.

Although their intentions are good, the once humble profession of the 19th century is still teaching the ideas of the 19th century in a 21st century world. Most public school employees focus on themselves and their jobs, and most have tenure and could care less about accountability. After all they will have a new set of puples nest year. Also, public shcools in the USA have their own law enforcement system, laws, and regulations which protect their jobs and postitions more than comply with civil laws. With their government employee unions being the largest unions in the USA, and with the most members, they always get better benifits and work conditions, and more staff for more members.

I must contend that the best and cheepest ran schools in the USA are the private schools. Obama the priseident went to the most expensive private school in Hawaii. Many of the elite use these private schools as a grooming for successfull children. I know there are a thousand and one excuses why the private school is better and costs less. And because if you fix the problems of public schools in the USA rather than trying to get more tax payer money for the excuses, public schools might be able to compete with private schools in the uSA. But the fact is, with all the overhead, and entities and unaccounted for tax money that the massive public schools consume, it will never be better and as cheap as the private school.

Without the privitizaton of public schools the USA as a whole will fail. right now other countries are looking in the rearview mirror and laughing at the Public school system of the USA, acknowleging and avoiding the mistakes the USA public schools are making.
    My post was about public schools in the U.S. (the flag in my profile is the Florida State Flag) The data in the second link is from the federal government repository for school data. The data in the first link is from an association of private schools in the U.S. Now, yes, there are systems spending $32k a year for students, but they are the exception, not the rule. The average cost per student in 2007-2008 (probably lower now, due to the economy) was $10,441 per year. That ranges from around $6500 a year per student in Idaho to $18,00 a year per student in New York.

http://www2.census.gov/govs/school/09f33pub.pdf

Our country was the first to implement public schools, and IMHO, they are the reason that we became a superpower.

Private schools are more expensive than public schools in the U.S., unless the private school is supplemented by a religious group. The reason religious groups sponsor schools is to propagate their religions, and the side benefit is that when you get a group of middle-upper class students together, and have the ability to kick out bad students, you end up providing a good education.
    Last edited by perdidochas; Aug 23 2011 at 10:59 AM.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast