Minimum wage should match cost of living!

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Daggdag, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Daggdag

Daggdag Well-Known Member

For years, companies like Walmart, GM, and others have gotten away with paying their workers less than it actually takes to survive in America.

I worked at Walmart for 4 years, doing more work than every manager in the entire store, if not the company, and barely made enough toto make rent. I had to live without heat and air conditioning for an entire year because I could not afford to pay the bills.

I looked up the average cost of living for citizens of my state, Indiana, in the years I worked for walmart, and it turned out that myself and several of my coworkers were paid alot less. Managers were the only ones that actually were above it.

2. NetworkCitizen

NetworkCitizen New Member

That would surely make us more competitive in the global market. How about people on minimum wage should worry more about needs instead of wants?

3. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

This is a common fallacy, I'm constantly being reminded by one of my desk agents about how hard they work compared to EVERYONE else, including management.

You don't work half as much as you think you do. I worked flipping burgers ina Wendy's for 7.50 an hour for 3 years, and I was glad for every day of it, because the alternative is not work and be a shlub.

4. Badmutha

Badmutha New Member

Nobody is forcing you to work at Walmart.........

"I find the best way of doing good for the poor, is not by making them easy in poverty, but by driving them out"

5. hiimjered

hiimjered Well-Known Member Past Donor

How much time and effort did those managers put into becoming managers? Shouldn't they be compensated for that extra effort as well?

Regardless, minimum wage jobs are not meant to support a family on or live well, they are entry jobs and summer jobs for students who still live at home. Why should a high-school student be paid enough money to live on their own?

6. Daggdag

Ummm..as I said before...I could barely afford to pay rent and had to go without heat and AC for an entire year.....Is shelter and heat in the winter a want now? when did that happen?

7. Rexxon

Rexxon Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with your view is the fact that there will ALWAYS be poor people. And likely there will always be a lack of good paying jobs for everyone to have one.

I do think the minimum wage should be enough to pay for basic needs like food, clothing, shelter, and basic healthcare. Spending money for wants can come from doing extra work or getting a better job.

Thank you for your time.

8. Daggdag

Actually most managers at the walmart I worked for took a 6 week course for free and that's all...the only ones that actually had any higher education were the Store manager and two of her co-managers, who pretty much do her job for her so she can deal with the higher ups in the company.

9. hiimjered

Wow, how many roommates did you have?

I usually had two roommates when I was working minimum-wage jobs, and kept one roommate until just before I got married. Even though I had the cash to pay my own rent, it was nice splitting costs and gave me extra money to save and invest.

10. Rexxon

Rexxon Well-Known Member

That may have been what people MEANT minimum wage jobs to be for in the beginning, But with the glut of outsourcing and mechanizing workforce, Those type of jobs are some of the few jobs left these days.

It's not just teens working these jobs anymore, And many that work minimum wage jobs have bills to pay that are more than what a teen would.

Thank you for your time.

11. hiimjered

So they walked in off the street, took a course and were managers? Usually people work in the store for a few years before they get to take the course and are put on the management track.

The time working the more basic roles is part of that time investment toward the management positions.

12. NetworkCitizen

So, OP, are you ready to take on globalization as a problem for the American lifestyle?

Ask the Chinese people making Nike shoes how much they are making. The production goes to the lowest bidder and the lowest regulator. Don't forget to check the tags on the next $50 jeans you buy!
    :mrgreen:

13. Daggdag

The apartment I lived in allowed 1 tenent per studio apartment

14. tblount

tblount New Member

Get used to it. It's the future. The American dream has run it's course and "all your base are belong to us."

Better Google that quote to understand it's origin and meaning.

15. Daggdag

Most of them were cashiers or CSM's (Hourly managers) who were promoted and had to take a six week management course. I knew several who simply has relatives in the corporations and got the jobs though them.

16. hiimjered

I looked at one of those once, but found it was a lot cheaper to rent a 3 bedroom and sublet out two rooms. Saved me quite a bit every month.

17. Daggdag

That quote is an example of American laziness and stupidity.....They wont even take the time for proper translation.

18. Badmutha

Badmutha New Member

Correct.....there will always be a BOTTOM......and no amount of government legislation or government spending is going to change that.

"Good Paying Jobs"...a "Living Wage".....a "Minimum Wage"......are all labels of perception tossed around, rarely being defined with an actual figure.

And how much is that?
    .............well why not double it? Why not make the minimum wage $100/hr?.......surely it would solve all our problems.

19. Daggdag

Yeah...Where I live a studio apartment costs about $500 a week, and that is the cheapest...

20. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

So? Networking and "who you know" is often just as important as "what you know". I know several women desk agents who were offered huge salaries and better jobs by business people who stay here on a regular basis and liked their work performance.

There is nothing wrong with using networking connections to get ahead.

You're just angry because you couldn't compete.

Also, What about all the million and one fast food restaurants owned by individuals, you know.. "small business" that can't afford to pay anything more than minimum wage or slightly above? Are you willing to pay 20 bucks for a Big Mac so that the guy in the back has a "living wage"?

21. tblount

tblount New Member

That's why you get a college mascot as a roomate and tell your landlord that you just have a pet.

22. Daggdag

Yeah...Where I live a studio apartment costs about $500 a month, and that is the cheapest...

I made about $500 ever 2 weeks and then I had to pay electricty, gas, heat, water, trash, tuition for school, health insurance, car insurance and other bills.....My expenses on average ranged from 900 to 1200 a month.....I made 1000 a month average and sometimes had to go with heat or some other expense to balance my buidget...

23. tblount

tblount New Member

You don't understand it. But that's ok... some of my material goes over the head of many here.

24. NetworkCitizen

Sounds like we have a populist on our hands here, folks. Quick, conglomerate corporate media, Sound The Alarm! Terroristsss!

25. Daggdag

When someone is hired over a more qualified worker because they are related to the boss it is like spitting in the face of anyone who beleives in capitalism.....hard work and experience are supposed to be what matters not being the boss's slutty daughter.