America's completely retarded court system

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by peoplevsmedia, Aug 22, 2011.

1. peoplevsmedia

peoplevsmedia Banned

this is just an example #87938472:

Last friday I had to make a delivery to Westfield NJ, I live 7 hours away. I was pulled over for speeding, he said 44 miles in 25 mile zone. I just called to explain that I was only on that street for 3 blocks and that there was no sign during that stretch accept right near where I had to turn, where I was already obviously slowing down. anyway, obviously I had no way of knowing, but they said I have to appear in court or a bench warrant will be issued against me: they can not accept telephone calls, they can not use the existing technology to hear the people out. even if I have a legitimate phone number..

So now I have to either drive 7+7 hours to court, or become a criminal. congratulations to me and America, for it's about to have another officially bad guy on the list.

2. dixiehunter

dixiehunter Banned

YEP!....The court system in America is probably the worst on the planet.

3. peoplevsmedia

peoplevsmedia Banned

I was pulled over for speeding when I worried that I am blocking the traffic to the cars zooming by, trying to make a turn... this is obsurd. they use technology on everything else accept to allow innocent people to explain themselves

4. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

You are not "innocent" you admitted to speeding, only being ignorant of the fact that you were in a lower MPH speed limit zone. That's not a valid legal defense.

One time I pulled out of parking lot into an active school zone behind a lady and was matching her 35mph speed and not aware I was in a 20mph zone because none of the other cars slowed down. I got pulled over and ticketed. It sucked, but I broke the law and the fact that I didn't know I was breaking the law did not make me "innocent".

Now, if you go to court, show respect to the judge and admit you were wrong, chances are you'll get off with no fine, and just court costs. If you (*)(*)(*)(*)(*), moan and make a scene, you'll get maximum fine.

You broke the law, you'll have to at least pay court costs.

5. peoplevsmedia

peoplevsmedia Banned

I will stop reading your post right there, because you are very ignorant like most. I never admitted to speeding.

6. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

WTF is this then?

That is a plea of ignorance, not innocence. If you truly thought you were innocent you wouldn't have tried to make excuses for your mistake. You know you were caught speeding but because you were ignorant that you were in fact speeding you think you should get a "free pass".

Well you wont.

Now go to court, smile politely, explain to the judge in a clam, respectful manner what you have told us, admit you were in the wrong, and get a reduced fine or no fine at all and pay some minor court costs.

That is pretty much your only option. "Not Guilty" is simply not an option.

7. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

No, you have another choice. Mail in a check for your fine and remember next time you're driving in that area... the speed limit is 25.

What do you hope to accomplish by going to court? That you were NOT driving 44 mph in a 25 mph speed zone? Fat chance that's gonna happen.

8. peoplevsmedia

peoplevsmedia Banned

Call them and tell this to them, ask for me where to mail the check, you arange this for me, then I will send you a $20 check as a thank you.
    phone: 908-789-4060 ticket number 002646

Likewise I can suggest to you, you can fly like a bird, just buy a pair of wings at walmart.

9. Smartmouthwoman

Are you saying they won't let you plead guilty and mail in a check? Where were you driving, Mongolia?

10. dixiehunter

dixiehunter Banned

When a Court System starting from the very top....is controlled by a Liberal concept. It will only get worst.

FACT

11. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

GOING to court is the BEST thing he can do.

The judge has the power to modify the fine for extenuating circumstances, reducing it to 0 and making the defendant pay only court costs.

The difference between the two can mean a couple hundred dollars!

ALWAYS go to court and plead your case, but do it intelligently and dispassionately the way a lawyer would, not a defendant and the judge will show some respect for an otherwise law abiding citizen and reduce the fine. I've never once been fined by a judge, I've always walked out with court costs because my driving record is good and I have no other priors.

This is important stuff to consider. Our justice system IS fair, but you have to play by it's rules and not your own.

12. Smartmouthwoman

Good points... but if it meant a 14 hour drive, I'd opt for just paying the fine... and learning the lesson.

P.S. I've never had a speeding ticket. ;)