GOP Congressman: $174,000 Salary 'Not So Much'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CarlB, Aug 26, 2011.

1. CarlB

CarlB New Member

I don't know what greater proof you could want that republicans are elitists who don't care about or even understand the concerns or most people. Not only does he not appreciate his inflated salary, but he doesn't even care about his duty to his people apparently- "This job don't mean that much to me". I hope the people of Florida send him packing in 2012.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve Southerland, Florida GOP Congressman: $174,000 Salary 'Not So Much'
    Steve Southerland

According to the U.S. Census Bureau the median household income in 2009 was $49,177, almost $98,000 less than what a member of the House of Representatives makes. But that's apparently not enough for Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla.).

During a town hall meeting in Florida on Wednesday, when asked about his pay, the congressman told his constituents that his yearly salary of $174,000 was "not so much" -- especially once you account for the number of hours he works, the fact he had to sever ties with his family's funeral home business upon assuming office, and the heightened danger he faces as a public official.

"By the way, did I mention? They're shooting at us. There is law-enforcement security in this room right now, and why is that?" Southerland told his constituents, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. "If you think this job pays too much, with those kinds of risks and cutting me off from my family business, I'll just tell you: This job don't mean that much to me. I had a good life in Panama City."

The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee criticized the congressman for the comment.

“It’s unbelievable how far out of touch Representative Steve Southerland is with Florida families if he thinks his $174,000 salary is not so much,” said spokesman Adam Hodge in a press release. “While he’s complaining about only making $174,000, his constituents are struggling to put food on the table, keep a roof over their head or find a job.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/26/steve-southerland-congress-salary_n_938388.html

2. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

You mean like Michelle my Belle who took a private jet 4 hours before Barry to Martha's vineyard and is staying another 36 hours after Barry returning to DC because nothing is going to short change her vacation to the tune of hundreds of thousand more dollars???

In a way he is right...174k is a drop in the bucket compared to what Michelle has spent on vacations this year from the taxpayers money.

3. GiveUsLibertyin2012

GiveUsLibertyin2012 New Member

$174,000 is "elite"??

4. CarlB

CarlB New Member

Yes it is, it's far above what most Americans will ever earn, and since he has no appreciation for taking gobs of our hard earned taxes he should resign.

5. Hard-Driver

Hard-Driver Well-Known Member Past Donor

I would not say that is too much. You want people who have enough experience and skills to earn $174,000 in the private sector to be in congress. So I don't think that salary is too much at all.

The only thing I would say is that saying that shows poor judgement. Just like if you manager at work came to a meeting and started whining about his salary that was more than anyone elses in the room. It is just a dumb thing to do.

6. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I really don't think...$174,000 is that much for a person with responsibility. Of course...he should be voted out if he's not living up to it..

7. CarlB

CarlB New Member

Republicans whine and scream about paying every penny of taxes that go to help people, yet they have no problem giving an ungrateful republican congressman almost $200,000 a year to (*)(*)(*)(*)(*) about having to work? What the hell kind of logic is that?

8. Dan40

Dan40 New Member

Do you get any information that is not left twisted by the Huffington Post? They have a SEVERE left wingnut agenda.

A wise person would seek out unbiased sites before posting HuffPost's idiocy.

I don't link to Fox or Limbaugh. Find places with no or slight agendas, you'll appear wiser.

9. CarlB

CarlB New Member

There's nothing twisted about it.

And I do use many sources.

10. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

Ya know...if you subtract the taxes....$174,000 IS NOT THAT MUCH!

Its probably more like $110,000 net.

11. Beevee

Beevee Well-Known Member Past Donor

<<< Mod Edit: Insult >>>

Could she travel by car? No.

Could she travel by train? No.

Why? Because the Secret Service wouldn't allow it and she doesn't have the power of veto over their decisions when it comes to security.

I blame the American gun culture.

12. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I guess that goes to show that Republican values when played out in real life leads to poverty. This is another example, by demonstration, of the Democratic argument that wages in the workforce have remained stagnate for the middle class.

P.S. (Of course Congress gets a good pay check it's their reward for showing initiative, participating in the most patriotic duty of all: working as a Government Politician) Yes, Tea Party, I know how much you love the establishment! :-D

13. Rapunzel

She should have taken her children and left the same time Barry did!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Beevee

Then posters would be saying she is incapable of making her own decisions and is obliged to do whatever her husband does.

15. Rapunzel

Not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Beevee

Well, I must exclaim that certainly is a forceful response.

17. MissJonelyn

MissJonelyn New Member

Lawmakers earn 3 times the amount of average working families, so I don't know why the Huffington Post is acting like it's only exclusive to the GOP or this particular congressman.

Objective Journalism at it's finest.

[​IMG]

18. CarlB

CarlB New Member

Because he complained about his pay, then he said he didn't really care about the job.

He should offer his pay and position to an unemployed worker in his district.

19. MissJonelyn

MissJonelyn New Member

Good for him. Let him quit his job so he can actually go out and do something productive. Being a Congressman isn't a job or a responsibility. It's a free ride and a free lunch. I doubt most congressmen actually care less about their jobs for good reason.

And if he did quit his job, the Governor of the State would appoint the next Representative. It wouldn't just go to some unemployed worker.

20. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

This is incredibly stupid. They are reporting on this Congressman because this Congressman is the one who said it. Should be straight forward enough.

21. MissJonelyn

MissJonelyn New Member

Who cares? He doesn't like his job and thinks he can be doing a lot more. Good for him. Let him work on his family business and actually do something productive. It's what the Free Market is all about. He's not going to be producing anything worth while in the public sector.

22. Inphormer

Inphormer Banned

I'm going to assume based on that question you are a typical Republican.

23. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

I hope you said that about the union bosses that say the same dame thing while making 3 times as much as a congressman.

24. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

If he has a job he is. :-D

25. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Doesn't mean that much to him eh? Good then take off.

All of these people have overinflated salaries, only a Partisan shill would try and pretend this is a Republican thing. 174,000 is a fantastic salary, way out of pace with what his employers are making.

Time to scale all of these salaries back. They work for us, and they average 4 times the salary. Noone in their right minds pays their servants more than themselves.