Hurricane Irene victims -- check in here!

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Smartmouthwoman, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Lots of folks on this forum are in the path of this storm and I pray for your safety. Please check in here with updates if you're experiencing Irene firsthand! We're worried about ya!!! :omg:

National Hurricane Center

2. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Same. I saw it on the news and apparently, this storm is so big you can see it from space. They showed a picture of the earth and there was just this massive white cloud. Scary stuff.

Stay safe guys, and check in when you can! Are you in the area, Smartie?

3. Trinnity

Trinnity Banned

We're fine. It's already here.....solid rain.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE !!!!! (according to the media...)

All the mass transit is shut down too. (that means the CARTS vans won't be totin' the po folks to the likker store)

We don't have any mass anything hereabouts, ROFL-

Seriously, we're as ready as we can be.

4. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

From a friend of mine in NC...

The morning has been interesting to say the least. If it's this bad here, 70 miles inland, you couldn't pay me to be on the coast. It's scary. We've had gusts here up to 50 miles an hour. The eye hit Cape Lookout at about 7:30. Atlantic Beach Pier is half gone. Bogue Shores pier has collapsed. We're already seeing some pics this morning. Coastal counties have suffered damage to some homes. Flooding and massive power outages.

5. Smartmouthwoman

Stay safe, Trinn and check in when you can. Sounds like the coast of NC might look different after this one passes! Hope you don't lose power or have tree damage!

(LOL @ Mak... I'm in Texas, sweetie. It's gonna be 106 and clear here today. We'd kill for some of that rain!) :omg:

6. mikezila

mikezila New Member

Texas toast? :giggle:

does being sick of the oversaturation on the news count as being a victim?

7. Bender

Bender New Member

I think they're shutting down NJT today at noon.
    One of my good friends is in Brooklyn and I told her she's welcome to stay with me, but I think she's going to tough it out. So I told her she has until before noon to decide :mrgreen:

8. Smartmouthwoman

LOL, notice how everybody's been evac'd except the newscasters? Dumb asses standing on the beach, getting plummeted by flying sand. Whatta way to make a livin!

(Day 61 over 100... we're roasting down here! Send rain!!!)

9. Joker

Joker Banned at Members Request Past Donor

Trains and lightrails close at noon. Buses are staying active until 6PM, but MTA will be completely shut down at noon today.

I just finished straightening up the yard. Put away all the patio furniture. Stockpiled some food yesterday, charged up all the batteries. We got no trees around our house, so that's not a worry.

I'm excited about it. I haven't been in a hurricane since Gloria. I went through a few typhoons in Japan, but they never seemed any more severe than the average tropical storm. Of course, it will probably only be a tropical storm by the time it reaches Jersey, or perhaps a cat 1.

10. Smartmouthwoman

Stay safe, Joker. They say the storm surge is the biggest danger facing the NY area. Not much you can do to prepare for high water except hope it doesn't happen! :omg:

11. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

Everything, so far, is fine here. We have, I think, everything we need, to include food for the pets. So far (between DC and Baltimore) we have had only a little rain & not much wind. Obviously, the power is still on. I have a fresh pot of coffee, the chores are done, & I have some serious loafing planned. I e-mailed my brother (in New England) & told him the barometer had fallen, but that I had picked it up (BA-DA-BING!!). My blood sugar is a little low, but I can fix that with a pancake or two. A while ago (last week), I sent away for a dvd course on the history of religion & I may plug that into the portable in the bedroom & watch part of it. On the other hand, I may just take a nap.

Emergency planning in this area seems quite good. Local and state jurisdictions are mobilized. The power company even sent out a mass telephone call yesterday telling us that they had crews, to include from out of state, standing by. There was some, but very little, "panic buying" yesterday. Most of it was just people taking reasonable precautions. I live on a side road & there is little traffic, so people seem to be behaving sanely.

Almost forgot to add - we live near BWI &, while there seems to be a slight decrease in the number of flights, if you didn't know THERE WAS A HURRICANE COMING!!!, I doubt if you'd notice the change.

So far, so good.

12. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

the power will be out here for a few days because of the hurricane, will you miss you friend thanks for your prayers.

13. old timer

old timer New Member Past Donor

Just stay safe and don't take any unnecessay chances.

14. AshenLady

AshenLady New Member Past Donor

Here in Western/Southern New Jersey things are okay for now. It's a little dark out and it's very humid. Looks like it could rain buckets at anytime,

We got potted plants and all kinds of potential flying debris taken care of yesterday.

Be safe, everyone!!

15. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

The barometer has fallen slightly. A little more rain and wind, but nothing spectacular yet. Air traffic at BWI seems to have cut way back (the airport flight path is nearby). No flooding yet. Normally, with heavy rain, the drains here get over loaded & water goes about 1/2 way across the street & well into my driveway. Nothing like that yet.

The major hoo-haa is predicted for late afternoon & the evening. The news on TV just predicted that the storm will be past us by about 0300 tomorrow.

Time to go back to goofing off.

16. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

getting some power surges here as the storm is approaching, soon the internet, AC, and Television will be off from the pending outage...

3 of lifes neccessities will be gone for days.

17. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

Now raining more heavily but not yet excessively so. More wind and some gusts, but not yet severe. Since I first posted, the barometer has dropped from about 31 to about 27. BWI flights seem to have completely stopped. The roads seem OK.

Life is fun.

18. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

My favorite Hurricane Irene hyperbole so far is CNN repeatedly claiming that it's bigger than Europe.

19. Smartmouthwoman

Politics is hyperboled, Dougie... a massive storm affecting millions of people is news.

20. Bender

Bender New Member

My parents just called me from the shore (yes, the area was evacuated, yes, they decided to stay anyway) and they said they really don't think it's going to be a "big deal".
    "Well, it's just drizzling...I guess there's a spot of water..."
    I told them as long as their will is up to date I don't care where they are.

And this is an entry for "you know you're a WASP when..."

21. Smartmouthwoman

My s-i-l lost her home on Galveston Bay during Ike due to storm surge. Water was up to the roof and the waves came in thru a picture window in the front and out the garage in the back... leaving nothing in its wake. Scary stuff.

Thx for checking in, y'all. Stay safe and don't go crazy if you lose power! Arghhhhh, for days at a time, that's the absolute pits!!! Be prepared!

[​IMG]

22. submarinepainter

submarinepainter Well-Known Member Past Donor

nothing in Maine yet but it looks like it won't be as bad as predicted

23. Smartmouthwoman

LOL, good to keep a sense of humor about it. Here's hoping your parents are right... this time. ;)

24. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

Bunch of babies. In China they call what you're getting a light drizzle :mrgreen:

25. junius. fils

junius. fils New Member

In the morning, the barometer, if I read it right, was 30.1. Now it is 29.4. I think I was misreading it earlier. Heavy rain, moderately strong winds. No power outage. Of course, we are inland.

So far, so good.