Judge Halts Alabama Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Dasein, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Dasein

Dasein New Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...a-immigration-law-doesn-t-rule-on-merits.html

Looks like conservatives are trying to throw anything at the wall to see what sticks. So far. . .nada.

2. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

If it's stopped for now, good. I won't get my hopes up until the judge rules.

That's my personal opinion of it anyways. But if the judge rules it consuitonal, then the ruling stands. If it's decalred unconsuitonal, then it's that, and nothing more.

3. sec

sec Well-Known Member

so, it now seems acceptable to hand tie the police from enforcing laws

4. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

5. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

I hope it stands.

We need to put the people of Alabama back to work.

6. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Along with deporting illegal aliens we will have to cut off welfare to make Obama voters accept those jobs.

7. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

What happens when a policeman stops an American citizen? Or when an American citizen checks in for his flight at any airport? When an American citizen goes to the bank to withdraw some of his money? Why is a citizen subject to questioning, forced to provide evidence of who he is, going thru scanning and gates, subject to having his purse, luggage, shoes, clothing and body searched....but an illegal alien doesn't have to provide anything because it is unconstitutional?....and the fact that he cannot speak English doesn't let the policeman know that he is an illegal alien? That is freakin' unconstitutional too?

The American citizen is asked daily to provide proof as to who he is, whereas an illegal alien doesn't have to provide any type of proof that he is even in America. A legal immigrant here on a temporary work visa, also has to provide identification and give information and is subject to all searches that American citizens are subject to.

There is something wrong with this picture, and we should all ask why is there such a discrepancy in treatment of U.S. citizens asnd non treatment of illegal aliens. Could it be that illegals are supplying a valuable service to huge corporations with cheap help thus giving them even more profit, all with the encouragement and acceptance of our government?

8. politicalcenter

I have the local paper in my hand. The one half page of want adds consists of an 8.00 an hour caregivers job, 10.00 selling Avon (right!) , in home sales, one for mechanic/assembler, part time nanny,sales assoc., and the rest are nurses RN/LPN, and truck drivers.

22 want adds...I think it would be safe to say there aren't many jobs out there. That is counting part time jobs and scams. I even counted the one wanting you to show siding and roofing on your home.

9. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

What would be the motive of people wishing to stop the enforcement of illegal immigration laws? People who profit from illegal immigration, would obviously oppose this legislation, and people who don`t wish the State to have the right to self determination.

10. starbow

starbow New Member Past Donor

agree 100%, and on SCOTUS as well.

11. politicalcenter

I saw a program on TV the other day where the Border Patrol caught a bunch coming over the border with several hundred pounds of pot. They deported them. What would they do to an American citizen?

12. BullsLawDan

BullsLawDan New Member

Well, faux conservatives, to be straight.
    Clearly you did not read the decision, nor do you have the slightest clue about our federal court system, or the importance of having an independent judiciary.
    Yet another person who didn't read the decision, or the law, or probably anything.

Anyone who is suspected of any wrongdoing can be made to provide identification, immigration status or not. What blocking this law prevents is fishing expeditions by cops.
    The fact that someone's English is poor is not determinative of their immigration status. If it were, half the people at any given NASCAR race would be deported.
    Incorrect.
    Yes... your understanding of it.
    What's your point?

13. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

On the contrary.

I do have some understanding of how the judicial system works.

And this judge is going to make laws from the bench rather than through the democratic process.

14. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Actually this is a good thing, it bolsters Texas's lawsuit to force the Federal Government to pay the FULL cost of illegal immigration. The Federal Government has argued in AZ that the border is exclusively their jurisdiction. If they fail to close the border and stop illegal immigration and that failure harms the states people by making them bear the burden of their negligence, that's actionable in court. As long as the federal Government can't control the border, they should bear the FULL cost of illegal immigration. It's a $10 Billion dollar problem in California.

15. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I think I know what you're talking about. This might explain why.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6AradppFx4&feature=related"]Mexican-Americans Already Arrested Based on Arizona Immigration Law - YouTube[/ame]

16. politicalcenter

My point is that jobs are being stolen from the people of Alabama by people that have no legal right to be here.

Construction jobs, landscaping jobs, food service jobs, industrial jobs...and the list goes on.

The employers do not have to pay a decent wage, insurance, escape taxes through day labor. They pay cash and cash is hard to trace.

17. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

The law comes fist, before job creation.

18. politicalcenter

Yes, and the law is made by the represenatives of the people.

Alabama just passed a law against illegal immigration. The toughest in the nation. Some folks in other States may have to learn to deal with it. Maybe you can invite them into your State.

And burden your system further.

19. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

And the judge stopped the law. She thinks that there may be a consuitonal probelm with it. The law preceds over job creation.

20. politicalcenter

She has not stopped the law...it is delayed until she makes a decision.

I have no problem with her reading it. It consists of seventy pages.

I somehow thought that illegal immigration was against the law.

I rekon I just be ignert. But I can spell constitutional.

21. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I don't know what constitutional issue the judge thinks there might be.

If the cops stop someone for a legal reason and the person has no identification they have a right to find out who the person is and if they are here legally.

Alabama is not making immigration law but merely checks the person's immigration status.

The judge has been a judge too long.

We need term limits for federal judges.

22. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

She delayed it instead of stopped, a bad choice of words.

Illegal immigration, is illegal, but illegal immigrants, have the same rights as US citizens. By asking people on the streets for identification, without probable cause, is a violation of their rights.

I see, you can spell beter than I.

23. finnbow

finnbow New Member

She was appointed by a Republican (Dubya). We definitely don't want elected judges. They'd end up being as big of jagoffs as the politicians we elect.

As unpopular as this opinion may be, the judiciary branch is probably the only branch of government working pretty much as the Founding Fathers intended.

Read thoroughly about the ramifications of this Alabama law. It is fatally flawed from the start and is well deserving of being sh!t-canned (as it will be in its current form).

24. politicalcenter

Since when is a citizen from another country covered by our constitution anyway?

25. finnbow

finnbow New Member

The instant they set foot inside of our borders. Similarly, if you travel overseas, you aren't protected by the US Constitution within the borders of a foreign land.