Simple question

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by IndridCold, Sep 4, 2011.

1. IndridCold

IndridCold Banned

This is motivated by things I've observed in other areas of this forum and the fact that I come across a lot of self-proclaimed "anti-statists/tyrants" and "libertarians" who are also Christians and/or believe in (and enjoy the idea of) an entity FARRRR more powerful and with the capability of WAY more force than any possible government - God.

Why?

2. cassandrabandra

cassandrabandra New Member

interesting question

... my suspicion is that these are people who feel that they have no control over their lives in general, and attribute the reason for this to an external force (the gubmint? liberal ideology? feminism? minorities? islamists? whatever ....) rather than take responsibility for the fact that they themselves are the major authors of the direction their own lives will take (which in general is true uness you experience some unforeseen trauma, such as an invasion by another country, or events such as 9/11 directly).

.. the belief in God kind of goes hand in hand with this.... all they have to do is say they love jaysus and the big sugar daddy in the sky will be there for them ... they don't really have to DO anything.

so God is kind of the benign (or perhaps more good, but not very active) power contrasting the evil gubmint etc ....

thats my theory anyway .....

MegadethFan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. countryboy

countryboy Well-Known Member

Your theory is a crock. ;)

4. MegadethFan

MegadethFan Well-Known Member

Yes its interesting how modern conservatism has managed to entwine highly statist and anti-statist thought. On the one hand ultra-social domination and on the other economic "freedom" (which in reality is nothing different from the Dems overall). Really it comes down to history and the convergence of the two around the turn of the century. The traditional God fearing conservatives in the 19th century, of the US and Britain were ANTI-capitalism, and indeed there still are pockets of them, especially in Australia with a diminished agricultural industry.

Reality is God has very little, substantively, to do with conservative politics. As Cass succinctly and correctly points out above, God is just an ideological figurehead - another point of propaganda and social unification, as well as personal vindication and a means of creating the illusions necessary to overcome the hypocrisy in their political thoughts as well as the destruction that results from many conservative policies. Libertarians are quite different however - they very often are not religious for the obvious reason - they are consistent and principled. There are exceptions, but to them God is a personal matter, which is very different to the overt 'this is a Christian nation' bible bashers that, as I say, use religion as another tool in their rhetorical repertoire within debate and discussion of their politics.

As the Op correctly notes, there are however many conservatives who like to think themselves libertarians, however their insistence on imposing moral values on others is evidence as to their hypocrisy.

5. cassandrabandra

why do you think so?

I base it on what I know of human behaviour, and it is true that people who don't have the skills to take control of their own lives blame others for their problems, or look to some external agent to "fix" things for them and make everything OK.

this is well known.

if you disagree, you should give a reason.

6. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

Such as Atheists who feel the need to blame religion and/or Christianity for all the problems that they encounter.

7. MegadethFan

Indeed, that is quite true.

8. countryboy

No, you base it on what you think you know about human behavior, as viewed through biased, ideologically clouded eyes.

While you may have a point to your above statement, to attribute it to spiritual people is biased, bigoted, and just plain silly.

9. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm not sure of the nuances of your question, but the answer to why I believe in an entity greater than myself has something to do with humility.

10. cassandrabandra

no, its true.

a tendency to ascribe blame/power to others is generally indicative of feeling one doesn't have control over one's life. This is well known.

I don't believe that ALL christians are like this by any means, there are plenty who don't fit this stereotype - but most of the conservative christians I see here do fit this bill.

11. countryboy

Can you provide a couple of examples of "conservative Christians" who fit this bill?

12. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

great point.

ie.... if anyone of us see a child hungry, we can feed them.

If anyone (everyone) can see hypocracy, we can stand against it, equally.

the key is the awareness 'we can' (or purely be aware 'we' are NOW)

'we the people' (mankind) is what corrects the ignorance, not some magic, not some dude on a thrown, not the future make believe hopes..............'we' are mankind, right NOW.

the key is within us all; honesty

13. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

great stuff

a fine evolution

14. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

if you think about it; religious adherance is what had jesus killed (per bible)

it is why 911

it is why the middle east conflict

it is why your opinions share so many lies

15. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

can you love, unconditionally?

can you murder

can you give of yourself for others to live

are you just as capable of any good or evil, ever even written about?

what does that say about human behavior?

'we' are all capable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stepping up to realize that is what is 'enabled' in time
    sorry charlie.

the idiots oppress to suggest no one is capable, when the good are always trying to be responsible and enable.

even jesus took the tables down of the church........... he knew that true enables and idiots just 'believe'

anyone of any consciousness will know that ONE day, just give them and yourself the chance and quit trying to discredit others with beliefs

16. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

anyone who holds that they are unable to comprehend compassion to the level of 'walking on water'.....................

ie....i can teach anyone to walk on water

freeze it first

but you know within your own self, you can love, care, give and take just as readily as any of the mosterestest greatest of prophets and teachers........ just by being responsible to the level of honesty, empathy and conscious capability.

You are just as capable as anyone and as soon as a liar tells you that someone else is responsible for your sins, evils and bad doings (the creed), then you have witnessed a liar

ie...... Often the best example of anti-christ can be found by observing christians. They lie to themselves just to fit in with what they have been taught to believe; that they are incapable of LOVE to the extent of being responsible for their actions

17. countryboy

as usual, you make little, to no sense Bishadi.:mrgreen:

18. Bishadi

Bishadi Banned

i aint representing myself as a turkey.............. country boy

i posted what underlines personal responsibility versus thee turkey gobbles

19. countryboy

Lol.....touche. :mrgreen:

20. MegadethFan

Reagan and Bush 2.

21. cassandrabandra

since I am referring to this forum I would have to wade through a few posts - but its a general impression I have had from a number of posters.

mega's example is probably pretty apt if looking at the wider stage.

22. countryboy

In other words, you cannot provide even a single example of your baseless claims. Fair enough.

Mega's examples are worthless, without citations of specifics.

23. cassandrabandra

it would be too tedious, but it is certainly an impression I have gained over a number of years posting here. the way people respond to others can be insightful.

24. MegadethFan

Waging a terrorist campaign in Nicaragua to look tough and invading Iraq in the name of freedom when that was the last thing that was achieved, respectively. Both used highly religious phrases in the way they spoke and debated their policies.

25. countryboy

I rest my case. :)