Sept 11 , 2001 America Attacked

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by HillBilly, Sep 8, 2011.

1. HillBilly

HillBilly New Member Past Donor

Doug_yvr and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

My mum and dad turned the TV on in the morning and saw it. I think it was the 12th over here. It was my dads birthday, he was 45. I was in bed and went to classes later that day, and everyone was talking about it.

We had non stop footage on all main channels for 72 hours, but less than half of that time dedicated to the Bali bombings, which still makes my blood boil.

It hasn't changed my life at all. I hate that everyone is so paranoid, and the amount of security, especially at airports, is just ridiculous and totally overboard.

I will say that watching those planes crash into those buildings is very hard to watch. To see people covered in dust and ash, screaming and terrified. They wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. There would have been a lot of confusion and fright.
    I can understand people being worried it would happen again, but I don't think it would.

On the tenth anniversary I will be at work. For me it's a normal day. For Americans, or most of them, it will probably also be a working day.

HillBilly and (deleted member) like this.
  3. arjay

arjay New Member

Sleeping. At that time I was working 5pm to 5am & I got to sleep around 7am as usual. By noon, my wife couldn't wait any longer. She turned the bedroom tv on & woke me, telling me planes hit the twin towers & left the room. I scrambled , blury eyed, putting my glasses on to see the Pentagon on fire & mumbled, "What're talking about, that's the Pentagon?" Then I got clued in on what was happening.
    9/11 affected me in a strange way. I always worked nights, but because of 9/11, business slowed down, I got moved to day shift & lost wages because of it. It made moving to Colorado, from Connecticut, much more imperative. It was sort of the last straw, pushing us to Colorado.

4. old timer

old timer New Member Past Donor

I rememeber that day very well. I watched in both shock and horror at what happened. I can guarantee you that if there had been an arab standing next to me at that time here would have been a dead arab. And I would not have cared who it was or what they were or were not or what country they came from such was my hatred at that moment.

5. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was doing what I normally do.Waiting for News to break.
    Analyzing the news,preparing comments and otherwise getting
    geared up to do word battle.I was also watching the stock market.
    I had CNBC on and saw firsthand the first jet hit.Of course my reaction
    was to flip thru the channels and see how the networks responded.
    About what I expected.They all checked-in as if not quite fully coffee'd
    up.Not knowing what to say,believe or assume.letting their eyes and
    the smoking bldg. and replay,constant replay that made the rounds of
    a Jetliner as it made a slow turn and from seemingly nowhere appearing
    and getting bigger.Like maybe this was some 50's nuclear alarm test
    and the image was not real.An updated version of Orson Welles
    Mercury Theatre LIVE version of The War of the Worlds.Nothing to
    fear but Fear itself as no Alarm bell was rung or ringing,and what on Earth
    was taking place.A Huge skyscraper { half of the Twin Towers } was
    now ablaze a few stories from the top,a gaping hole protruding from
    a corner of the huge structure and heavy black smoke sending out it's
    signal for all of the Big Apple to see,whether coffee'd-up or no.
    As I too,watch and wait.Stunned in disbelief at what my eyes are
    telling me,but my reason isn't fathoming.
    The Morning lingers on in near stupor as the incident replays itself
    only with another jetliner,right next door as if some Cheap Japanese
    Godzilla movie set was used to dramatize what could happen if the Real
    Godzilla got ticked off and decided to snatch a jet from out of it's
    flight path and toss like a bratty rich kid who has tired of his
    Christmas toy,right at the Christmas tree which happens to be a
    Twin Tower.

6. Really People?

Really People? New Member

Sleeping on the couch...

My brother woke me up and said "Look at this (*)(*)(*)(*)!"

I thought it was some movie at first...

I woke up right when #2 hit...

I was supposed to get up and go talk to the recruiter that morning, but, needless to say, they were closed after all that...

So was everything else...

Spent the day watching the news...

7. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was programming. My wife called and said "turn on the TV". I said "what channel". She said "Any channel". I said "where are you?". She said "Boston".

We were talking about what could have gone wrong, and the likelihood that a pilot could have lost control that quickly in order to hit that building. With that amount of water around on a clear warm day, the tail section would have had to have fallen off or something incredibly catastrophic... then the second one hit. She was grounded at this time... right before the first tower fell she was paged and had to get off the phone to be interviewed by the FBI. 4 of the hijackers were on her flight from Bangor to Boston. My ex-wife was a commercial pilot if you haven't worked that out. When the second tower fell I just remember yelling no no no no...

I remember the days following. I remember the silence. I was near DC, there was always air traffic noise... I remember finding the silence eerie.

8. Irishman

Irishman Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was in high school. I just remember many people crying as many of my friends had family/friends who worked in the towers. Thankfully, nobody I knew was killed. We all watched on TV. Eventually school was dismissed as half of the population was rushed home anyway to try and see WTF had happened to their family/friends that were there. Very sad day, very tough on all of us New Yorkers.

9. Falena

Falena Cherry Bomb Staff Member Past Donor

I was in the woods in New York State and had no idea what was going on. I turned the truck radio on when I was driving and heard what I thought was a "war of the worlds" type show. I switched stations and it was on every radio station. They were saying all bridges and tunnels were closed. I wasn't sure if the attack was over and they were checking bridges and tunnels for bombs. I remember thinking there was no way in hell I wasn't getting to where I need to be. I got to the bridge and thought if there is a bomb oh well. I'm going for it. First time I ever had to choose something like that and hopefully the last. Ill never forget what the electronic banner said at the entrance of the bridge. "God Bless America".

I guess it change my life in the respect that I am even more prepared with backup plans in case of emergencies. I have a much deeper appreciation for fireman and first responders now. I also saw how so many people came together to volunteer what ever they could to help NY. That spirit to me is the heart of America and Americans. We can argue with each other all day long but when the time comes, people step up and come together and help each other.

10. bacardi

bacardi New Member

perhaps you can understand then why americans are so hated...imagine being an arab and watching preditor drones falling from the sky killing loved ones.......its funny how americans are so full of themselves that how dare anybody hurts them but when its them doing the hurting somehow that makes it OK!

11. bacardi

bacardi New Member

I agree......we non-americans....we understand why america was attacked that day!

12. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

I was in my office preparing to interview a CPA and turned the news on my computer.. immediately the second plane hit..

The CPA arrived shortly thereafter and she happened to be Jewish. I asked her politely about traffic and she sort of gasped in a choked whisper.. "its because of us"...

After the interview she left and my kids started calling.. They were stunned.. saying it looked like some terrible special effects in a movie.. and wishing that it was.

13. Herkdriver

Herkdriver New Member

At some point along the decade long timeline right up to the present day, myself along with
    over 725,000 other members of the Guard and Reserve, were activated after 9/11/2001.

The event had a tremendous impact upon the lives of all the men and women
    who serve in the reserve component of the Armed Forces. An impact still being
    felt today in many cases, living in this Post 9/11 era.

14. injest

injest New Member

:bored::bored:

so do we...jealousy and stupidity...mixed with a third century religion.

15. ryanm34

ryanm34 New Member

I was ten and just home from school. It was start of term and we'd had a half day for a staff meeting. Was watching RTE when the programme cut out. One of the twin towers wax burning. I shouted for my grandmother. Then watched as the second plane hit and they collapsed. I think at one stage both my grandparents my mother my uncle my younger brother and a family friend were all piled into the front room. I couldn't understand it. My Grandmother spent forever dialing and redialing my uncles mobile phone number, trying to get through to find out was he okay. No reason he wouldn't be he is a bridge engineer but rationalising that is easier said than done. My brother brought a picture of our family taken in the towers the day after to school, a little souvenir from our last american visit. Hard to believe it happened really.

I honestly don't know how it changed my life, I would assume that it had a minimal impact on my life, but it makes air travel much more nerve wracking.

16. Doug_yvr

Doug_yvr Well-Known Member Past Donor

I was at a safety conference. During a break people checked their voice-mails and everyone started to talk about the tower attacks. Our meeting was in a sports lounge we manage and we were able to get the screens on to CNN. It was surreal watching the towers fall repeatedly on 15 or so large screen TVs around us.

Our company lost 11 employees in Tower 2. We raised about 16 million for the families of the employees who died and the company decided besides that they would pay full salaries to the spouses of those lost until retirement age and provide full college scholarships for all victim's children.

17. Paris

Paris Well-Known Member

Was at home reading a good book, before my neighbour banged on my door and told me to watch tv -- fecking terrorists!

18. diligent

diligent New Member

I was staying at my daugter's that evening and, because I couldn't sleep that well, I was listening to the radio. And suddenly it dawned on me that this was no ordinary aircraft crash. I have never felt the same about Muslims ever since,especially those who are cowed by their religion to cover their faces in a shroud. I always wonder 'what have they got to hide', and what religion makes this form of dress (for women only of course) acceptable'?

It has also reinforced my disrespect and disdain for any form of religion, especially one that is so steeped in misogyny. One only has to look at the Catholic Church and the way it allowed its priests to sodomise children under its care to wonder why anyone can be bothered and have respect for any religion. This event, as far as I am concerned, certainly put the nail in the head of all religions, and especially Islam.

19. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I got up and rarely turn on the Tv after I roll out of bed b/c I like to start my day w/quiet. A few minutes later, my daughter called and told me to turn it on. I just sat there in shock staring at what was happening.

I was working at the Red Cross, managing Blood Services and since that day was blood donation day, I didn't have to be at work for at least another hour or so since I worked into the evening. I went to work a few minutes later to make sure about preparations and all volunteers would be there.....

I will never forget that day as long as I live. People were coming in in droves, women crying, men looking still in shock. The waiting area was packed from one end to the other and out into the reception area. We had a Tv in the lunch room and I wheeled it out where the donors could watch it.

People kept calling and asking what they could do to help at the Chapter and asked them if they could come and help w/the phones. They did. A retired nurse came in to help the staff of nurses w/minor things to save them time, people & a few bakeries came in w/loads of cookies, donuts, pizza, etc to feed the blood donors....

We had so many blood donors, I told them it was going to take quite a while, but they said they weren't leaving until they donated and they stuck it out, many having to sit for a couple hours...

It was a surreal day. So much was happening, so many donors that we finally had to call a limit to it and schedule them for another day - and they came in.

That day really showed me the true benevolence and compassion of people. It was an overwhelming day and I marveled at the strength and endurance of those wonderful, selfless volunteers, most of them senior citizens.

Up until 9/11, I never paid any attention to the names "Muslim" and "Islam"... I knew Islam is one of the major religions of the world, but that was pretty much it.......... after 9/11, I started reading, listening, watching interviews from those who were born into that religion/culture and I'm still reading and paying attention to it.........

20. stretch351c

stretch351c New Member

Where were you that day when the towers were hit? I was pulling a swinging meat trailer into Southern Council Bluffs Ia. I was just exiting the Kennedy Freeway into Bellvue Ne. when 2 wings of fully armed single engine fighter jets took off low from SAC and went vertical just over my head. I saw the weapons hanging off of the pylons,then all I saw was the fire coming from their tails as they headed for the sky. I was listening to the morning drive team of Todd and Tyler on Z92. When they first mentioned the attack they opined that it must be a small plane that had mechanical problems. Then the second plane hit.And they went from their normal raunch to cold sober reporting.When I got to the plant, I saw the replays of the second jet hitting. A sight I will never forget til the day I die.

21. HillBilly

Thanks Mak [​IMG]

that's why I gave the link rather than post the image of those terrorist planes
    smashing into the twin towers sky scrappers above the New York skyline. . . and that thousands will die , , and for what ? the vengence of Allah ? that's BS . . . the vengence of fanatical zombies is a more apt description . . .so I decided not to show it , only make the link available . . .

But it is one sad & fateful day that will always remembered here in the USA ... right along with Pearl Harbor Day , , , the USA got sucker-punched , , , and both times it was a cowardly blow . . .

but we've moved on , 10 years it's been , Osama Bin Laden dead , taken down by US troops , so I believe we are beginning to have clousure , , , but it'll be a long time before the scars fade . . . [​IMG]

22. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

I was at work in an Alzheimers assessment unit, it was around lunchtime and one of the ladies didn't want to come to the dining room as she was watching a "terrible accident" on TV. The second plane went in and the staff realised it wasn't an accident.

23. E_Pluribus_Venom

E_Pluribus_Venom Well-Known Member

I was in my Kinesiology & Biomechanics class. My professor was giving a lecture on isometric contractions when his phone rang, which prompted me to wonder why my state-funded free tuition was paying for someone to answer their phone mid-session. His face became pale, and he left the classroom without explanation. We didn't care... it was early so we went back to our dorms only to find a smoking building on the news. I had just begun watching as the second plane hit... and about an hour later I received a call from my then-superior at McGuire Air Force Base for an emergency recall.

It changed my life in a number of ways, most notably the fact that what I thought would be 4 years of uninterrupted college would become 2 1/2 years of activated Air Guard service in different locations around the nation and middle east... with a number of missions/new friendships I'll never forget.

24. CKW

CKW Well-Known Member

I was making sales calls and listening to the radio... and didn't really know the magnitude as I didn't know what the twin towers were.......

25. HillBilly

[​IMG] Barardi , , , the canons of ' Just Doctrine ' sanction the nations harboring terrorists as being hostile to US intrests . . .

and we all know what happens next , [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yep , we always get what we set out to accomplish .. [​IMG] so why is the rest of the world throwing tomatoes at us ? I'll just never understand that .....