Serena Williams Fined $2,000 for U.S. Open Outburst

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Serena Williams Fined $2000 for U.S. Open Outburst

“Serena Williams was fined $2,000 by the U.S. Open after unleashing her wrath on an official who called her out for on court hindrance during Sunday’s women’s final.

Tournament referee Brian Earley issued his ruling Monday, a day after Williams was issued a code violation for verbal abuse by chair umpire Eva Asderaki during a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Australia’s Sam Stosur at Flushing Meadows.

Williams got off relatively easy. In a statement to ABC News, the United States Tennis Association said Grand Slam committee director Bill Babcock determined that “Williams’ conduct, while verbally abusive, does not rise to the level of a major offense.”

A major offense could have spelled trouble for Williams, who was already under probation after a similar outburst at the 2009 U.S. Open. Nonetheless, Sunday’s break in decorum may have tarnished the charmed comeback for Williams, who was kept off the court for nearly a year with injuries and medical problems.

It all started when Williams, 29, and Stosur, 27, were in the first game of the match’s second set and the Australian went after Williams’ forehand shot. But just before the ball hit Stosur’s racket, Williams belted out “Come on!” Stosur barely tapped the ball, and the score went from 30-40 to deuce.

Asderaki, the chair umpire at Arthur Ashe Stadium, gave Williams a code violation and a point penalty - giving the game to Stosur.

Reacting to the decision, Williams did not quite have a repeat of her 2009 on court calamity, when she physically threatened a lineswoman who called her for a foot foul in an obscenity-ridden rant. But she was heard to say the following to the umpire:

“Don’t even look at me. I promise you, don’t look at me … Don’t look my way,” “Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser,” “You’re out of control, you’re a hater and you’re unattractive inside,” “A code violation because I expressed who I am? Really? We’re in America the last time I checked.” But the kicker – which could potentially be seen as a threat was: “If you ever see me walking down the hall … walk the other way.”

Williams narrowly avoided another on court meltdown - along with the $82,500 fine and two-year probation by the Grand Slam committee that she was handed after her notorious 2009 tirade.

After her loss on Sunday, Williams explained herself.

“I just yelled, ‘Come on!’ ” Williams said. “It was a great shot. It was beautiful. I hit it like right in the sweet spot. I don’t know. It was a good shot, and it was the only good shot I think I hit. I was like, ‘Woo Hoo!”

read full article:
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2011/09/serena-williams-fined-2000-for-u-s-open-outburst/
    ……..

For those who witnessed the Williams stunningly horrendous meltdown during her final with Stosser, a rising young Australian player who made an athletic fool of Serena, moving her all around the court, making her lunge and miss balls, and irritating her into making many mistakes in judgment, I think Serena was ready for one of her classic meltdowns. She got smeared.

This particular time, though, Serena should have been fined more than $2,000for her court tirade in which she appeared to be totally out of control. Her dismal display of talent, good sportsmanship, language, is unequalled on courts today where the rules are rigidly followed by the other players, but 'The Williams Sisters' seem to have their own rules that they follow.

Serena should have been fined her entire take for the final and the proceeds given to charity, she should have been banned from tennis for two full years, and she should have been made to apologize to the chair umpire…who was only doing her job.

Also, Serena has to learn that although she may want to follow in Eartha Kitt’s footsteps, who repeatedly told aides, workers, “not to look at her” she is just another tennis player working the circuit, nearing the end of her athletic career, and will prolly be known as the only tennis player whose ‘hair beads’ were always breaking and falling all over the court during her matches.

Zorro likes this.
  2. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

A sore loser is what she showed herself to be.

It's maybe a bit unfair gender-wise because when guys talk back, it's often just looked at as competitive fire......But in tennis, demonstrating class is a respected trait for the athletes. Serena doesn't have it.

Buri and Zorro like this.
  3. jbh100

jbh100 Active Member

Who cares.....

nra37922 likes this.
  4. Yosh Shmenge

Yosh Shmenge New Member

When you add up Serena William's blow up last year at the Open, when she threatened to stuff a ball down the throat of a lines lady (who called her for a foot fault), to this, could we be seeing episodes of "roid rage"?
    Look at her next to other WTA opponents (Samantha Stosur, who beat her at the Open, being a notable exception) and it's as apparent as looking at pictures of Barry Bonds, post steroid usage: She looks like She Hulk.
    http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.com/

This is my no means absolute proof. But it's certainly instructive that top female players have vetoed plans to test randomly for steroids.

Zorro and Steve N like this.
  5. Whaler17

Whaler17 Well-Known Member

I agree, it is fairly self evident!

6. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

1) It also showed she was completely out of control. No chair umpire should have to take that kind of threatening garbage from a player. And I am afraid it showed the nation and the world that Serena is not the smiling, humble, sweet girl she tries to be in her interviews. That is gone forever.

2) Men also cover their meltdowns in diatribes with the umpires. Remember John McEnroe's famous flameouts? But there he was criticizing Serena.....he should have been the last one to utter a word concerning court deportment.

3) Tennis is a gemtlemen's/woman's sport and rules are generally strictly adhered to vigorously in order to maintain that image, but Serena with her little $2,000 slap on the wrist, will only feel that she can do it again now that she got away with it. $2,000 bucks is for Serena the tip for her one of her many nights out on the town. She has become too big for tennis.

Buri likes this.
  7. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

Well, as her career continues to decline, I would expect more of this. She didn't need to do this when she was winning, but this seems to be her way of making excuses.

She said she has no memory of what she said or in what context. I guess she has someone hypnotize her before she plays......or perhaps it was her body double that lost her cool.......yeah. Her outbursts don't really matter that much...but they will affect whatever legacy she has...in some ways, this is how she will be remembered.

Make way for the new stars of the sport. Time for some humble pie.

8. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

'Roid Rage....seen the thighs on that beast?

Steve N and nra37922 like this.
  9. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

For a first offence, that fine would have been okay, but she has a history of outbursts like this, and she really needs to be taught a lesson. She is a sore loser.

10. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

I agree for another reason also. When Serena yelled just as her opponent started to return her serve, it interrupted the girl's concentration, ruining her play. That is a grievous error for Serena to make, and her fine should have been much more because her first fine was $82,500 with a two year probation, which she was still on, so this fine should have been much more.

I can understand the baggage Serena and Venus carry around, but all that has to be put away during a match, with strict adherence to the rules. When Serena said she had to look at the rules again, certainly she must know them by now....but she may be busy making up New Rules...for herself.

Steve N likes this.
  11. Ransom9

Ransom9 New Member

Sounds familiar!! Part of "Hope and Change" I reckon. Even the best reach their pinnacle, and they "Hope" it stays that way, but things always "Change".. She needs to move on...

12. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

That pic of you is really baaaad; have you had a check-up lately?

13. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Is this political?

_

14. aussiefree2ride

aussiefree2ride New Member

I wouldn`t even play tennis if I had hemroids.

15. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Everything is political. The air you breathe, the food you eat, the length of your life, the money you make, the way you act, the words you use on a tennis court, the water you drink, and the price of gas you put into your care are all political.

Did you think they weren't?

16. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

WHAT ARE THE ODDS KEVIN DRUM GETS HOUNDED OUT OF MOTHER JONES FOR THIS? Somebody Needs to Defend John McEnroe. Why Not Me?

McEnroe is getting slagged for insulting Serena Williams by saying she’d rank #700 on the men’s circuit. Also for the sin of thinking that female athletes have to be compared to men. And for being an idiot. Etc.

This is ridiculous. McEnroe can run his mouth with the best of them, but in this case he’s completely innocent. Just read the interview:

McEnroe says Serena William is the best female tennis player in history, full stop. This is something he’s said many times before.
    The interviewer then sloppily changes the subject to whether Williams is the best player in the world. Not the best woman in history, but the best in the world right now among all tennis players. This is laughably ignorant.
    McEnroe is obviously taken aback, but then answers accurately: If we’re talking about the quality of all tennis players on the planet right now, Williams isn’t even close. This is completely noncontroversial, and it’s something Williams herself has said herself.

McEnroe didn’t bring this up out of nowhere. He wasn’t trying to say anything about Serena Williams or women’s tennis in general. He wasn’t trying to generate controversy. He was responding to a dumb question from an interviewer. I suppose he could have told the interviewer he didn’t understand what she was saying, and then asked for a clarification, but instead he just answered and moved on—or would have, anyway, except that the interviewer just wouldn’t let it go.

Since then, half the sports writers in America have proved they have too much free time on their hands by going after McEnroe.

Well, at least half the sports writers in America now are Pajama Boy types who are leftist shibboleth-repeaters first, sports journalists second. Or fifth.

17. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

SORT OF LIKE AFTER HILLARY’S DEFEAT: It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka.

Naomi Osaka, 20 years old, just became the first player from Japan to win a Grand Slam.

Yet rather than cheer Osaka, the crowd, the commentators and US Open officials all expressed shock and grief that Serena Williams lost.

Osaka spent what should have been her victory lap in tears. It had been her childhood dream to make it to the US Open and possibly play against Williams, her idol, in the final.

It’s hard to recall a more unsportsmanlike event.

Here was a young girl who pulled off one of the greatest upsets ever, who fought for every point she earned, ashamed.

At the awards ceremony, Osaka covered her face with her black visor and cried. The crowd booed her. Katrina Adams, chairman and president of the USTA, opened the awards ceremony by denigrating the winner and lionizing Williams — whose ego, if anything, needs piercing.

“Perhaps it’s not the finish we were looking for today,” Adams said, “but Serena, you are a champion of all champions.” Addressing the crowd, Adams added, “This mama is a role model and respected by all.”

That’s not likely the case now, not after the world watched as Serena Williams had a series of epic meltdowns on the court, all sparked when the umpire warned her: No coaching from the side. Her coach was making visible hand signals.

“I don’t cheat to win,” Williams told him. “I’d rather lose.”

She couldn’t let it go, going back multiple times to berate the umpire. At one point she called him a thief.

“You stole a point from me!” she yelled.

After her loss, Williams’s coach admitted to ESPN that he had, in fact, been coaching from the stands, a code violation. The warning was fair. . . .

Osaka, a young player at the beginning of her career, showed grit, determination and maturity on that court and off.

She earned that trophy. Let’s recall that this wasn’t Osaka’s first victory over Williams — she beat Williams back in March, causing a hiccup in that great comeback narrative.

Osaka earned her moment as victor at the US Open, one that should have been pure joy. If anything was stolen during this match, it was that.​

Shameful, but not surprising.

18. Marcotic

Marcotic Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with politics. If you say everything is politics your dumb.

ThorInc likes this.
  19. Angrytaxpayer

Angrytaxpayer Banned

Wrong forum. Try ESPN.

20. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Serena has always been an entitled low class crybaby. the female version of Brat McEnroe.

Vote4Future likes this.
  21. straight ahead

straight ahead Well-Known Member

This is exactly why this belongs on the political board. Like everything else in society, sports isn't sports anymore. Just as police and firemen. These aren't real reporters. These are liberals on a stick. Brainless morons that won't accept the insanely obvious fact that women are physically inferior to men. And what's worse, 50% of these morons are bimbos, who have nothing else on their minds but promoting women over men because their egos can't take it.

Gatewood and Zorro like this.
  22. Your Best Friend

Your Best Friend Well-Known Member

Billie Jean King has now popped up her head to come to the aid of Serena Williams in her latest melt down and public exhibition of out of control rage and claimed that she (Williams) was right to claim that she was victimized because of her gender and men could get away with
    accusing game officials of anything, and that's just not true.

Carlos Ramos was the chair umpire who disciplined Williams for calling him a liar and corrupt. Here is an example of three top male players who were penalized by Ramos, despite being males.

• Djokovic was penalised by Ramos for unsportsmanlike conduct after yelling at the French Open in 2017.
    • At the 2016 French Open, Nick Kyrgios was given a code violation by Ramos for yelling at a ball boy.
    • Ramos gave Andy Murray code violation for saying "stupid umpiring" at the 2016 Olympics.
    In addition in 1995 at Wimbledon Jeff Tarango was given a code violation for an audible obscenity, , and when he called Bruno Rebeuh the most "corrupt official in the game" he was given a code violation (what Williams was given) despite being male.

Williams and King like to imagine they are being unfairly persecuted because they are women. The record shows otherwise.
    They need to stop hiding behind their skirts and take responsibility for their actions.

23. Moonglow

Moonglow Well-Known Member

Serena is finding out what it is like to be getting too old for a sport which has young folks playing..

24. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

Where have we heard that before?​

25. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

It’s shameful what US Open did to Naomi Osaka.

Here greatest moment of her your 20 year old life, she was reduced to tears as the US Press all but demanded that this young Asian girl apologize for beating their favorite.

They are terrible horrible people and so self-righteous. Everyone is tired of them.