120 Coptic Christians leave Orthodox Church

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by Abu Sina, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

http://www.almasryalyoum.com/en/node/497016

What a mess what with the Pope in Rome being dragged to the ICC and this other Pope's church falling apart no wonder so man are leaving the church and heading for the mosque!

How can you have 2 popes by the way Christians here?

What's that all about the 2 pope thing?

Didn't I read somewhere that you should only have one or something?

The Christianity thing is just too confusing for me.:???:

Where's our expert Ezra and his view on all this nonsense?

2. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

Catholics CAN end marriages for cause.. They apply for an annulment.

3. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

and the 2 pope thing?

4. Margot

Margot Account closed, not banned

What two pope thing????

You mean the Coptic Pope? Small potatoes.

5. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

What are small potatoes?

What has potatoes to do with pope?:-?

I am talking about having 2 popes.

Which is the God PR man on earth.

Isn't that what you all believe or used to believe before Henry 8th time?

Oh never mind lets talk about potatoes :mrgreen:

Now what do you feel about frying sliced potatoes in oil?:-D

6. junobet

junobet New Member

As far as I've understood your linked article people are not heading to the mosque so much but mainly to other Christian denominations that would allow them to get a divorce.
    Why they should choose to join the Catholic Church for that is beyond me though. As Margot has pointed out as a Catholic you can apply for your marriage to be annulled, but it's an extremely complicated and long process with no guarantee for success.

Pretty much in the same ways that Muslims can have various Sunni, Shiite, you name it Imams and scholars, I suppose.

Read up on it on wikipedia on church history if you're interested. Actually there are even more than just two: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope#Other_popes

That's what some of them like to claim. :wink: And of course there's the ecumenical movement: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecumenical

Don't worry. Many Christians find it confusing too. And my confusion concerning Islam in its very many forms must be just as big as yours concerning Christianity.

7. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

junobet

many head to the mosque as well

not really Islam has no leadership and the Imam and scholars are not recognised as representatives of the Qurans words
    they only give their own interpretation and you can listen or not

Islam is practiced the whole world the same.
    All Muslims in Mecca pray the same way and read the same book.

There are very few differences between the few sects really as the main elements are the same. But it can be confusing and some things like sufi dancing strange to me too :omg:

Now wasn't St Peter?? now I read about him, supposed to be the head pope and his followers should follow after him, like the current Dominique one in Rome.

I'm wondering what the Dominique in Rome thinks about the Shenouda in Egypt or Cao Dai (from your link) ?
    Does he call them Infidels? :mrgreen:

8. junobet

junobet New Member

That's one of the things I always liked in Islam (even though it makes things difficult sometimes, for example when trying to establish Islamic religion lessons in the German school curriculum.)

From what I've heard there are quite a lot of theological and cultural differences though.

I quite like the concept of dancing and singing yourself into trance to become closer to God. What a nice way to give praise!

It says in the bible about Peter: "You are the rock on which I shall build my church." The thing is: he's dead and there is some dispute about how that phrase was meant and who is his legitimate heir.

They tend to clothe their criticism of each other in slightly more polite ways. There are of course exceptions. The next time somebody slanders Muslims for blowing each other up, you can show them this funny little video of Monks fighting:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfZ6rYJrL0&feature=player_detailpage"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFfZ6rYJrL0&feature=player_detailpage[/ame]

9. cassandrabandra

cassandrabandra New Member

The Catholic Pope is the head of the Catholic church, not the head of any of the orthodox churches.

there is only one pope according to catholicism, which doesn't recognise the coptic pope (or any of the orthodox patriarchs) as the head of the church.

however ... on two popes ... my understanding is that a few years ago ethiopian copts had two popes - there have also been discussions in some of the eastern orthodox churches over the legitimacy of one patriarch rather than another .... church leadership often has political tones as well as religious tones.

10. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

junobet

A persons heart knows right from wrong so if any scholars ideas and preaching seems wrong then you can make your choice not to listen to it. When you see the Guardian of the Two Mosques in Meccas sons sitting with belly dancers and throwing 1 million $$$$ notes in the air you know their scholars are teaching them something very different from Islam so we have to keep our eyes wide open.
    It's a big problem. I dont know the answer to that except condemn it and be vocal.

Culture should be kept apart from religion but it is not and many things which are cultural as said to be religious when they are not. This is just ignorance.
    The basics are the same. The book is the same. We will see who is right and wrong in the interpretation when we meet the one above all.

No to me this is very strange. I see the American Christians on TV and the African's do this kind of thing ( I think that thing probably came form Africa anyway to the USA with the slaves). You mostly see Black people doing it. Kind of tribal chanting and dancing.
    The Sufi here use drugs to enhance their dancing and trances. They are well know for it in Upper Egypt and drugs are against Islam.
    To me it is just very strange but that is their business and they can do what they like. They are generally peaceful people. That's because they sleep a lot with the drugs :mrgreen: They don't cause trouble really.

Very strange to me.
    We don't take too much notice of the bible because we are told in the Quran parts are corrupted.

:mrgreen: but seriously living in Palestine would make anyone suffer from stress these days. It sends people mad with rage.

A lot of criticism is just ignorance and some is deliberate for another agenda.
    Humans know right from wrong. Some fear the afterlife and some care more about this one. Deep down most people know what is right but choose to ignore it for different reasons. All we can do is be the best we can be and do the best we can against all the odds set against us. That's life and life is not easy. It wasn't meant to be. It's a test and some will win and some will lose.
    Hopefully I will be on the winning side maybe not in this life but in the next :sun:
    It's all we can hope for.

11. Abu Sina

Abu Sina New Member

So the church was originally Catholic?
    There was just one pope and then they all split off at some point and started up their own churches and beliefs then?
    I found this
    They say St Mark is the leader but about the same time the Roman one seems to be saying that Peter is the leader :confused:

A bit like the Shia :mrgreen:

12. cassandrabandra

cassandrabandra New Member

lols - maybe - but probably a lot more blood has been spilt between christians than between muslims.

there have been a number of schisms in christianity - the copts broke off around the fifth century I think, the schism between the orthodox and the western (catholic) church was in the eleventh century and of course later there was the reformation (when the protestant churches began) beginning in the sixteenth century with martin luther.

not to mention lots of smaller conflicts between various christian sects over the last two thousand years.

Christianity is far more divided than Islam - the World Council Of Churches represents a fellowship of over 300 different churches - but doesn't include the catholic church - and I guess a lot of american christian churches might not be part of it too - since the position on Palestine is that it recognises the Palestinian people's rights:

http://www.oikoumene.org/en/program...resources/wcc-policy-on-palestine-israel.html

I often discuss christianity on these forums (Personally I am an atheist, but was brought up catholic), and through my work and life I have had a lot to do with people of other versions of christianity - including orthodox and copts - I see the american evangelical christians belief as being quite alien to anything I ever learned about christianity when I was growing up.

I usually feel that I catholicism has more in common with the orthodox church - despite the two branches of christianity having divided almost a thousand years ago!

yes. St Peter is generally regarded as the first pope by both catholics and orthodox - but the first actual pope was from Alexandria.