GOP Congressman Makes $400,000, Whines About Tax Hikes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by hen81, Sep 19, 2011.

1. hen81

hen81 New Member

Rep. John Fleming (R-La.) appeared on MSNBC Monday morning to express opposition to President Barack Obama's deficit reduction plan, which includes a proposal to raise taxes on the wealthy. When asked about his business ventures -- including his role in a number of Subway restaurants and UPS stores -- from which he earned $6.3 million last year, Fleming told MSNBC host Chris Jansing that his business expenses left him with little to tax "by the time I feed my family."

“By the time I feed my family, I have maybe $400,000 left over," Fleming said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...a-millionaires-tax-buffett-rule_n_970084.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwmkXL9YrbM"]Mugged American Style - YouTube[/ame]

2. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

Headline should be: "Entitlement-seeking loser whines that others are earning more and actually want to keep it rather than support his own sorry ass."

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

So what, he creates jobs...big deal. Who needs a job when the government can support you. The government should take every penny of his money and make him shut down his businesses...How dare he??? Who does he think he is??? Take it all from him.

4. freakonature

freakonature Well-Known Member

That seems a more appropriate color considering the level of envy.

Rapunzel and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

I wonder if Flemming graduated from college?

Is so he should know by now that successful people in America exist only to support the Obama voters who never even graduated from high school.

6. Agent Zero

Agent Zero New Member

God knows I couldn't live with just $400,000. I mean, who can?

7. Consmike

Consmike New Member Past Donor

so what...he wants to keep more of what he earns and give less to Obama to spend.

8. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

It's quite obvious you don't own a business or in his case businesses. He uses that money to expand his businesses (jobs). He uses that money for advertising. (more business, more jobs). He uses that money for equipment (equipment makers jobs). He uses that money for remodeling (construction jobs)...and so forth and so on.

9. CarlB

CarlB New Member

Ah Republicans, what beautiful people. They take every penny they can from the government and the people, but when it's time for them to pay a little back of what they owe then it's the end of the world.

Screw him.

10. Consmike

Consmike New Member Past Donor

psst, its not the governments money, its his own he earned.

11. BleedingHeadKen

BleedingHeadKen Well-Known Member Past Donor

A couple of questions arrive from your comments:

1. What did this man "take" from people that he now owes back to them? Are you saying that by owning businesses he did not provide what people wanted in exchange for the money he earned, and, if so, can you prove this theft?

2. If, as you say, taking money from the government means you owe something, does that mean anyone who gets money from the government is in debt for some objective amount and, if so, what is that objective amount?

I'm guessing that your comments arise from envy, class hatred and partisanship, but I foolishly hold out hope for actual reason.

12. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

If you are so envious why not go out and open some Subway franchises and get rich?

"Early life and education

Fleming was born in Meridian, the seat of Lauderdale County in eastern Mississippi. He grew up in a working class home in which his mother became disabled when he was still young and could not work. Just prior to graduating from high school, Fleming's father suddenly died of a heart attack which required him to work his way through college. He attended college at the University of Mississippi in Oxford and medical school in Jackson. He entered the United States Navy to help fund his medical education.[3] He was awarded his B.S. degree in 1973 and M.D. degree in 1976.

Fleming and his wife, Cindy, have been married since 1978 and have four children.[4]
    [edit] Medical career

After earning his medical degree, Fleming acted as chief resident in family medicine at the Naval Regional Medical Center in Camp Pendleton, California. He also trained at the drug and alcohol treatment unit at the Navy Regional Medical Center in Long Beach.[4] Serving in the Navy after his residency, Fleming practiced military family medicine on the island of Guam. There from 1979 to 1981, he was the director of drug and alcohol treatment and chairman of the Navy’s Family Advocacy Committee. Thereafter, he performed similar duties in Charleston, South Carolina.[4]

After leaving the Navy, Fleming established a private practice in 1982 in Minden. His family practice emphasizes the treatment of depression, attention span disorder, and the prevention of chronic disease.<According to Fleming March 6, 2009> He is certified by the American Board of Family Practice[4] and is on the staff at the Minden Medical Center.[5] Fleming is a member of the Louisiana Academy of Family Physicians (LAFP). In 2007, he was chosen as the LAFP "Louisiana Family Practice Physician of the Year."[4] After years of training Fleming has attained the rank of Sandan (third degree) black belt in Shotokan Karate recognized by the Japan Karate Association which stretches throughout the world.

Fleming is the author of the 2006 book Preventing Addiction: What Parents Must Know to Immunize Their Kids Against Drug and Alcohol Addiction, which is aimed at assisting parents in keeping their children from potential chemical dependency.[6][7] He has appeared on numerous national broadcast programs to promote his book.[4]

Fleming is also a businessman; he owns 33 Subway sandwich shops in northern Louisiana[8][9] and owns Fleming Expansions, LLC, a regional developer for The UPS Store, which supports stores in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas.[8]"

Yeah I think he has a right and deserves to keep the $400,000 he has left over. Just look at how many people he employees.

Go out and do like he did and make something of yourself and get wealthy.

13. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

And your claim on this guys earnings is what? Or is it just envy.

14. BTeamBomber

BTeamBomber Well-Known Member

psst. The only reason that we have the possibility of earning that kind of money is because we live in a country with a government thats A. supported our success throughout history, B. protected that success, and C. given us the infrastructure and freedom to let that happen. There are a lot of places he could go to try and "earn" less, but he should try starting out in a slum in India, or a refugee camp in Somalia, or a work camp in China. Then he can appreciate what he "earns" and is entitled to in the states.

I thought you guys were supposed to be the party of patriots? I thought patriots were supposed support their country, not just their richest business owners.

15. D.E.P.

D.E.P. New Member

Republicans are about self-gain. "What do I get out of it?" "How much will I make?"

Those who are wealthy should be giving a bit more back to the country that allowed them to become wealthy.

Are there problems with wealfare? Yes; things need to be changed. More insentive to find a job, less insentive to stay on welfare over time. Some on welfare live better then those who have full time jobs. That is a problem.

Does this mean millionairs and billion dollar companies shouldn't be paying their 20%? No. They should be paying the same % if not more, but the majority aren't, not even close, especially businesses, and especially the ones who have most of their factories over seas. They should be taxed the hell out of until it becomes less profitable to build infrustucture overseas and more profitable to build it here and higher americans works, then taxes on them should go back to normal.

Another problem is our trade agreements. They have absolutely destroyed US manufaturing. Absolutely destroyed.

16. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

what makes him any less entitled to what he earns than you are to what you earn ?

17. squidward

seems you are about self gain, and your object of desire is their money.

18. Ronnie Ray Gun

Ronnie Ray Gun New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUOFV5TusE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByUOFV5TusE[/ame]

19. D.E.P.

D.E.P. New Member

No where in my post did I say I desired any of their money, only that millionaires and billion dollar companies aren't paying what they should be in taxes.

Their taxes payed are absolutely no where near proportianal to the money they have compared to those that don't make a lot of money. You are free to argue this all you want, but even one of the richest men in america, Buffet, has stated this. I know you republicans must really hate this guy for speaking the truth, but you're just going to have to accept it.

And for some reason Rublicans love so say "this will hurt small business". No, it won't. These bills are designed specifically to target huge world wide companies like Walmart, Apple, Microsoft, etc, not Father and Sons plumbing.

I just put America and it's people over business interests.

20. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

Are you going to give the man any credit for his success?
    Here's a clue for you. All those things exist for everyone. If someone becomes more successful due to hard work and dedication to their future then they deserve every penny they make. They also deserve to not have to sit back and watch any money that is forcibly taken from them by the government squandered on those that don't have the drive to get off their asses and earn their living.

21. mikezila

mikezila New Member

if you made $63,000, wouldn't you be a bit miffed to only have $4000 of it left?

i'll make you a deal. you send me a check for $6.3M and i'll send you one back for $400,000 as soon as yours clears. deal?

22. squidward

what about the $400K wage earner, is he paying what he should be ?

23. D.E.P.

D.E.P. New Member

This is why entitlements need to be changed, but that is not an excuses to not pay their proportionate weight in taxes.

24. keymanjim

keymanjim New Member Past Donor

As it stands right now, .2% (that's two tenths of one percent) of our working population makes $1,000,000 or more. But they are responsible for 21% of all the money collected through income taxes.
    .2% pay 21% of the taxes. Is that fair?

25. D.E.P.

D.E.P. New Member

I have no idea. I haven't seen his paperwork, last years paperwork, dependents, credits, deductables, etc. You apparently seem to think taxes are black and white, they aren't, which means you have absolutely no idea how taxes work and I'm not really interested in arguing with someone who isn't educated in what he's trying to argue.