At Home With Julia

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Makedde, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Is At Home With Julia Disrespectful To The Prime Minister?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2011.
  1. Yes

20.0%
  2. No

80.0%
  1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

I am sure we've all heard of the comedy on the ABC that pokes fun of the Prime Minister.
    I plan on watching it tonight so I can see what the big deal is.

What do you guys think, though? Is it disrespectful to mock the PM like that?

While I think it is simply a TV show, at the same time I wonder what would happen if the show were about John Howard. He'd never allow it go to air - so why should a show about Gillard be aired?

2. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Is it disrespectful? Possibly. Is that a reason to ban it or otherwise? Nope.

Is it disrespectful for them to have the person playing the PM and her partner having sex on an Australian flag? Possibly. Should you be allowed to disrespect the flag in a "free" country? You bet.

3. Makedde

I agree with what you have said - but personally, I don't give a rats about the flag and I don't think it is disrespectful to have sex on it or under it or in it or anything else!

4. DominorVobis

DominorVobis Banned at Members Request

Hear Hear. I agree. I do however respect our flag as far as all those that have served or played under it. Personally I think we should have a new one.

5. The Lepper

The Lepper New Member

Yes, it is disrespectful in my opinion. Don't these shows usually air after the person has moved on from being PM? From what I've seen it looks awful as well. If people genuinely want to watch and listen to such a horrifically parodied accent of such a seemingly boring person, go ahead :-D

6. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

Almost all Australians who have served have served under either the Union Flag or the Australian Red Ensign. It's a nonsense argument when people argue that the current flag is sacred due to past wars.

7. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

They did it ad nausem with other generations of politicians albeit differently. Howard got is nonstop from the media.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVzvUvoBKkk"]Rubbery Figures - Australia (1988) - YouTube[/ame]

8. DominorVobis

I did say "Serve and Play", and whatever flag flew over their heads was immaterial, it was the one in their hearts that matters.

Look I would be the first to vote for a new flag if one appropriate and for an appropriate reason, like becoming a republic which will happen.

I never said "sacred", I said I have respect for those that served and played under it and their right to have it respected.

If we change it because we are making a significant step forward in our society then a change would mark the significance without being disrespectful to those who it means so much to.

When I see pictures of our flag flying from a base in Afghanistan, an embassy or above an athlete I feel proud, not of the flag, but the heart, sweat, blood and tears behind the men and women below.

The biggest thing I see on here is a lack of RESPECT, not everyone naturally but a lot of you make assumptions based on a set of pre-defined prejudices.

There have been comments labelling young people as lazy, goofy, dumb and comments about old people being old fashioned, behind the times, crazy and senile.

It's good that young people are here rather then some online gaming blog, not that that's a problem either, just good to see a mix of interests.

Experience neither should be discounted, so don't look at the old as behind the times, rather a source of pre-tested experience.

The Topic LOL

Australia has always been famous for taking the "Mickey" out on itself, look at "Rubbery Figures" etc in the past.

If you can't take the heat ........

9. DominorVobis

I have actually made love under an Australian flag and to me it was neither disrespectful to the flag or the girl. (Her idea actually, oh for my youth back again .. not)

10. Makedde

I watched it last night. Bloody awesome, I had a good laugh. The guy who plays Kevin Rudd is brilliant!

11. mister magoo

mister magoo New Member

Isnt that what comedy is all about....Barry Humphreys/Edna Everage
    comes to mind...also imitating the Queen...etc...if youre a public figure, youre fair game to the comedians....must watch it next time....

12. DarkTide

DarkTide New Member

(*)(*)(*)(*) its really good show, Really brings out the poor personalites in our current leaders!!!

13. DarkTide

DarkTide New Member

14. Makedde

Can't wait til Wednesdays episode!

15. DarkTide

DarkTide New Member

haha me either, what about the scene when they were under the Aussie Flag Naked :p

After that episode the ABC recived numores complaints about it!

16. Makedde

Probably by people who hadn't even watched it!

17. DarkTide

DarkTide New Member

It was the people who had watched saying it was disrespectful to our flag!!!

18. DominorVobis

Mak is probably right, if you check you most probably will find a significant number came in before it was aired.

A lot of groups like the Christian Right et al try to have these things stopped before we become exposed. They feed of all the hype.

19. axialturban

axialturban Well-Known Member

Well its disrespectful to have the flag on the ground or floor as I think it means the country has fallen, so in that regard it is a strong statement against Julia Gillard which seems to have been missed. I dont have a problem with it because TV programs like this are another form of artwork, and no-one would complain if you had a drawing of a flag on the ground.

20. DominorVobis

Something like that, the septics make a big deal of it, but they make a big deal of anything.

Yes it is, isn't that the producers idea?

21. Makedde

I don't think it was disrespectful at all. Its a scrap of material with a picture on it.

22. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

The beautiful thing about living in America is that if you don't like what you see on television you can change the channel. I'm sure that holds true for other countries as well.

23. Makedde

You should know that people don't always change the channel! They have to watch something they know will offend them so they can complain about it afterwards!

24. bugalugs

bugalugs Banned

The US flag is much better for having sex under. There are more white bits. The stains don't show up as much. And I a am soooo glad Libya now has a new flag - man, the plain green number they had didn't hide anything!

BTW: At Home With Julia is hilarious! I love it.

Bob Katter to Rob Oakshotte: Just drink your beer softcock

Awesome!!

Of course it is disrespectful to the Prime Minister. That is the point. Who ever said the PM had to be shown respect? Whoever it is. Or any of the other clowns she/he hangs about with?

25. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Very true; some people are not happy unless there is something they can complain about.