Dispelling another left-wing LIE: Only Republicans & the right are anti-science.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Thunderlips, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Thunderlips

Thunderlips New Member

2. Montoya

Montoya Banned

USAtoday=Fail.

3. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

LMFAO!!! As opposed to Huffington Post, MSNBC, CNN, NY TIMES, Daily Kos, Media Matters, Michael Moore, Mother Jones, San Fransisco Chronicle, LA times, The Washington Post...and on and on and on.

Believe me the USA today ain't no conservative paper...LMFAO

4. gmb92

gmb92 New Member

From your article:

Glad you agree.

The article, however, doesn't make a clear case for Democrats being anti-science compared to their Republican counterparts. For example, it states that 70% of scientists support nuclear power. That isn't exactly an overwhelming majority, compared to the scientific consensus on evolution or global warming. In addition, while there is a gap between Republicans and Democrats on nuclear power support, it isn't all that large, most recent polls showing 49% support from Republicans and 31% from Democrats. So I guess Repubilcans are "anti-science" on this too. There's actually a greater gender gap than partisan one.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1934/support-nuclear-power-japan-gas-prices-offshore-oil-gas-drilling

On vaccines, we have Bachman's (R) recent statement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/20hpv.html

but more importantly, there appears to be no partisan divide on the issue.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/i...g-data-on-the-politics-of-vaccine-resistance/

Overall, weak article.

5. Consmike

Consmike New Member Past Donor

dems are totally anti-science.

they don't care about the sciience of unborn babies.

6. Frogger

Frogger Well-Known Member Past Donor

If you don't like the message, attack the messenger=Biggger Fail.

7. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

We care about a mother's ability to make decisions for her unborn child. Personally, I could care less about the specific decision of a mother in regards to her child. However, a mother needs to have the option to decide between delivering her baby or having an abortion, because she's a parent of a child from the moment of conception. Government should have no place in mandating one side of the abortion issue. It should mandate all options to maintain freedom of choice.

On a different note, every newspaper is biased in some manner. One should read each one with an open mind to gain a new perspective on a subject. Recently, I've been reading the Wall Street Journal, a right-leaning newspaper, as well as the New York Times, a left-leaning newspaper.

8. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

So you're all equally ignorant. I'm been trying to get that through your heads for ages.

9. Consmike

So you don't care that science has shown that you can find out the sex of a child at 7 weeks?

or that a heartbeat is seen at 6 weeks?

10. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

I value the life of a child, but in any situation, the mother/parents have authority over the child, not society as a whole. Society in the aggregate should not determine the decision that a mother can make for her child. For example, if a mother has a child under 18 that is on life support, the child cannot make a decision on whether to be taken off life support or stay on it. However, the mother/parents can make that decision, because she/they has/have the authority to make that decision when the child cannot. I apply the same principle to the decision of whether to get an abortion or deliver a baby. The baby does not have the ability to make a decision on their fate, so the mother/parents can.

11. Consmike

That is false also. The parents don't in this case. only the woman does.

people froget how precious life is and how hard it really is for a baby to be born. its a miracle to me.

12. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

I was originally going to include only the mother when explaining my post, my fault for including the word "parents."

13. Consmike

I am just bringing it up because Liberals always love to talk about science, as long as it fits there agenda.

we don't hear them talking about the science of unborn babies, or the science that your more likely to get AIDs by having gay sex.

14. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

It's great that you value life and birth. I beleive in the same values as you, and I would personally advise a future wife of mine to keep our child if she was contemplating an abortion, unless birth would threaten her life. However, I would leave the final decision up to her, as she has the most authority over the child. On the other hand, I don't want to force my principles onto others, so I'm pro-choice because I truly value the authority of a mother in make a decision on the fate of a child that cannot for themselves.

15. Consmike

you can still be pro-life and still value the authority of the mother.

16. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

I actually disagree with the second statement, as it is more of a cultural problem. That claim was proven wrong after it was concluded that unprotected sex in the aggregate, for both heterosexuals and homosexuals is one of the ways to contract HIV/AIDS. However, what may be true is the fact that homosexuals don't practice safe sex as often as heterosexuals.

17. thediplomat2.0

thediplomat2.0 Banned

From a personal viewpoint, I'm pro-life, because I would advise my future wife to keep a baby unless her life was threatened. However, I don't like to apply this personal and future family principle to society, which is why I'm pro-choice from a societal perspective, because I value the ability of a mother that would not be my wife to make decision in regards to the fate of her child, who cannot decide his/her fate, with as many available options as possible.

18. Otter

Otter New Member

You should see how much pro-abortionist liberals hate science:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3eUVjnhs1c"]Planned Parenthood's "War on Science" [/ame]

19. darckriver

darckriver New Member Past Donor

Economics and climate science are the Dems' forte... :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. raytri

raytri Well-Known Member

I totally agree that there are anti-science, or science ignorant, people at all points on the political spectrum.

The main difference, IMO, is that the Democratic Party has not embraced the anti-science tenets of its most extreme members to anywhere near the extent that the GOP has.

We have the spectacle of the GOP presidential candidates vying to see who can be the most outspokenly stupid about evolution, vaccines and global warming.

Indeed, vaccines are an interesting example. It's true that the anti-vaccine movement has a base in the progressive community, but it's not the Democrats who have given it a national stage. Most elected Democrats overwhelmingly support vaccination.

Leave it to the GOP to take a fringe *progressive* idea and make it their own. In the Democratic Party, the fringe is still just that -- the fringe. In the GOP, it's becoming mainstream.

21. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

Data base errors for 5 minutes...what else is new..are they ever going to fix this place???

Ultimate truth...abortion kills

22. Silkheat

Silkheat New Member

And so does not letting people have health care when they need it. Why do you oppose one and not the other?

23. celica

celica New Member Past Donor

Oh right wingers/conservatives/republicans LOVE science. They send their kids to "special" schools to learn science:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ucv1-PJVT4"]Indoctrination flashback Kids pray to cardboard cutout of George W Bush Daily - YouTube[/ame]

24. celica

25. celica