Issa Pressed For Green Jobs Money

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ah, love me some Issa.

Unashamed, unabashed, fearless....in displaying what a hypocrite he is.

Yes, the self appointed watch dog, investigator seems to be part of what he claims is the problem and not the solution.

Flashback for the Issa fans, to yesterday. Here is what he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/22/ap/business/main20110312.shtml

"A green jobs-fueled recovery is a theory, and is yet unproven," Issa said. "There is a lot more green, in the way of cash, and a lot less energy and jobs than anticipated."

Wow. he sounds against green jobs.

But then this comes to light, It seems he was only against green jobs that were not in his district.

I would like to extend my congratulations to Issa for being one of the largest partisan hypocrites ever.

http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/09/22/issa-pressed-green-jobs-money

After ripping President Obama for allegedly picking "winners and losers" with federal stimulus money, Rep. Darrel Issa, R-Calif., now finds himself on the defensive after it was revealed he too has been trying to steer federal money for green jobs in his own home district.

Letters obtained by Fox News show that in 2010, Issa pressed Energy Secretary Steven Chu to back a federal loan for an electric-car maker based in Carlsbad, California.

"Awarding this opportunity to Aptera Moters will greatly assist a leading developer of electric vehicles in my district," Issa wrote in a Jan. 14, 2010 letter to Chu, which was first reported by Bloomberg News. The letters were revealed after Issa said in an C-SPAN interview that in cases like Solyndra and Lightsquared, the Obama administration has used a "dangerous" approach.

"There's been this attitude that somehow government can weigh in with loan guarantees and money and pick ... winners and losers," said Issa, who has been aggressive about investigating the White House from his perch as chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.

Rep. Elijah Cummings (Md.), the top Democrat on that panel, said Thursday it is stunning that Issa would publicly bash Energy Department loan programs after pushing for his own share of the federal pie.

"Mr. Chairman, in terms of this loan program, it seems like you were for it before you were against it," Cummings said at a committee hearing that Issa convened on Thursday to scrutinize whether green jobs have panned out the way the Obama administration has promised.

"They can't have it both ways -- either they are for green energy jobs or they are not," Cummings said of Republicans. "It seems hypocritical to write letters in support of the program one day and then criticize it the next. The truth is the program works, which is why they want the money for their districts."

A spokesman for Issa responded to the criticism by saying, "Creating jobs in all sectors is a priority Chairman Issa and President Obama share-but they differ significantly on how to achieve it. Chairman Issa supports an all-of-the-above policy: creating jobs in green businesses as well as in other traditional sectors like energy production, manufacturing and small businesses. President Obama, has focused on promoting green jobs even at the expense of jobs in other sectors through special deals like Solyndra."

Solyndra, a California-based solar panel manufacturer, received a $535 million loan from the Obama administration in 2010 but recently filed for bankruptcy. The move resulted in 1,100 employees losing their jobs, and the FBI has since raided the company amid a federal probe.

Two company executives, Brian Harrison and W. G. Stover, are scheduled to testify before another House committee on Friday. But the two men have signaled they will invoke their Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination, drawing the ire of top Republicans.

House Energy and Commerce Chairman Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., has noted that the company's counsel had initially said the executives would testify voluntarily, but he vowed Thursday that "their failure to testify will not deter this investigation."

Read more: http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/09/22/issa-pressed-green-jobs-money#ixzz1Yns9wpnJ

2. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Did Aptera Moters get the loan?

3. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe Issa is a dirtbag.

It hardly excuses the $500,000,000+ Obama gave to the Sorros backed Solyndra.

4. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Issa did nothing wrong.

Obama is handing out bags of taxpayer cash for green jobs.

Why should only friends of Obama get all the money?

5. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

Smells like....

[​IMG]

....poo flinging.

Desperate poo flinging.

6. Think for myself

Hmmm. Nothing to actually say about Issa's raging hypocrisy? Or has it been filed under "things you hope will go away if you pretend they do not exist"?

I find it so odd that so many others in this thread fail to extend their criticism into their own party.

7. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

Congresscritters have constituencies, they can fundamentally disagree with a policy or even spending, but why on earth would they hamstring themselves and their constituents if their objection is over-ruled? Sounds like another lame attempt to paint conservatives with a double standard that doesn't exist.

8. Think for myself

To apply the same morals to themselves as they do others? I don't know, seems to me you are trying to justify a raging hypocrisy. Issa said green jobs only cost money and will not solve anythign. Issa tried to get money for green jobs.

Seems pretty darn clear to me.

9. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

There is no reason for Obama to be allowed to only give our tax money away to his friends.

And when will you tell us if Aptera Motors got the loan or not?

10. Dispondent

They make is sound like Issa's constituents wouldn't be paying for it. That is why it isn't wrong for him to take the money or even push for it, his constituents are paying for it too.

11. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

No one questions ALL "green" jobs. The question is IS IT VIABLE AND COST EFFECTIVE? American made electric cars are viable products, American made Solar Panels are not.

I'm not mad at all that Obama gave stimulus money to Solyndra. I'm mad that due to his mad rush to gain good PR, he pressured his own administration to ignore glaring warning signs about Solyndra that it was nearing financial disaster!

This is a pimple on the ass of society compared to the massive, runny boil on the face that Solyndra and "The Seattle 14" who took off with 1.42 million each.

You see hypocrisy. Unless this Aptera Motors gets a loan and goes bankrupt, I fail to see any except that which you make up in your own mind. You just think that all Republicans are against all "green jobs".

Everything is relative and subjective to a liberal, except when it comes to a Republican. Stop pretending we're some kind of monolith against environmental action. We're against the waste, fraud and abuse which is the essence of the Chicago way.

Chicago politicians and bureaucrats are all corrupt thugs, and Obama's Administration turned Washington into Chicago and you try to throw some rotten red herring to distract from that. I simply smell dead fish.

12. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Youre right, Issas hypocrisy in no way excuses the solyndra boondoggle....

Of course it wasn't intended to you realize....

13. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Of course Issa's constituents are paying for these green jobs going to other districts.

The best answer to this is getting the federal government out of the venture capital business.

Because the government is far too stupid to possibly know what industries or what companies to invest in.

But when the die is cast and Obama is flying around the nation tossing bags of taxpayer money out of Air Force One then Issa's district is as deserving as any other.

14. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

There isn't any "hypocrisy". Republicans are not against Green Jobs. We're against green jobs being used as a vehicle for taxpayer money laundering into the DNC slush fund.

Have any proof that Aptera is a heavy Republican donor? All i see is a Rep doing his job and getting some money, which was going to be spent anyway, directed to his district.

15. The Mello Guy

TFM youre mistaken about WHERE the hypocrisy lies....

I guess its ok to pick winners and losers as long as the winners are in Issas district.....

16. The Mello Guy

no, they are against govt picking winners and losers in the economy....

unless the winners are in their district.

17. The Mello Guy

right, because its ok to pick winners and losers in the economy while (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)ing and moaning about picking winners and losers in the economy....

as long as the winners are in his district

18. Dispondent

I agree, get the government out of this whole green jobs fiasco. The market will determine if its viable or not. Forced government intervention will only muddy up the waters and allow failures to stay afloat on our dime before their final death throes.

19. conBgone

conBgone Banned

Issa is wrong personified.

Bush sent a billion $ to the sand nation he BS's us into war at stacked on a friggin pallet with no oversight and it went straight into US troop killing hands. Top that!

Is there any left after Bush?

20. The Mello Guy

amazing you can spot Issas hypocrisy where others cant....kudos!

21. Inphormer

Inphormer Banned

I saw this one the internets. I was wondering when the story was going to hit PoliticalForum.com. Nice work. I was thinking about posting it but these hypocrites are doing stuff like this all the time. You really have to wonder when it ceases being "news."

22. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

It's not OK.

But as long as Obama is giving the money away why wouldn't Issa's district want some of it?

23. Radio Refugee

Radio Refugee New Member

It's just a bit worse than that.

The profits, if any, will be privatized. Some will contend that the entire society profits from a successful new technology but....private industry never really has any trouble getting those going.

The losses will be socialized. Every time. Bend over.

24. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Because of the very point the OP is making. It is hypocrisy, to say with 1 hand green jobs aren't worth gov't money, and with the other hand sticking out asking how much can I have.

It is truly amazing how hypocritical each party is, but each side only see the others hypocrisy. Blind, dumb, sheeple are american hating partisans.

25. gmb92

gmb92 New Member