+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 422

Thread: Why does Homeopathy seem to irk skeptics the most?

  1. #291
    austria
    Location: Perth, Australia
    Posts: 7,950

    Default

    I hadn't seen that one before: hilarious!

    Mitchell and Webb are the best.

  2. Stand Taller and Look Better with the LUMOback Posture and Activity Coach. <LINK> Learn More Here! </LINK>

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Do you say that because I royally pwned her and you can refute my rebuttal?
    Do you understand what a strawman is? It's a weak version of the real argument that you beat up. It's a very poor form of argumentation, and beyond that, I'm not going to address it. You easily beat the strawman. I will grant that. You still don't answer the real question. How does homeopathy work?

    Oh, and anybody that uses pwned automatically loses any argument
    Last edited by perdidochas; Nov 15 2011 at 05:58 AM.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
    --C. S. Lewis, God in the Dock, p. 292.

  4. #293
    austria
    Location: Perth, Australia
    Posts: 7,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post

    Oh, and anybody that uses pwned automatically loses any argument
    Yes. Agreed.

  5. #294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    You easily beat the strawman. I will grant that.
    So you agree Stupchick, I mean Skepchick's little Homeophobia video rant was mostly terrible?

    You still don't answer the real question. How does homeopathy work?
    Apparently from the memory of sewage water, right?

    Oh, and anybody that uses pwned automatically loses any argument
    Sorry, I meant to type owned.

  6. Default

    Its quantum magic, no seriously, didnt someone prove water has a memory already? Just because something is unknown doesnt mean it mustn't work.

  7. #296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axialturban View Post
    Its quantum magic, no seriously, didnt someone prove water has a memory already?
    If you are talking about Jacques Benveniste, his research was disproved.

    Quote Originally Posted by axialturban View Post
    Just because something is unknown doesnt mean it mustn't work.
    True, but the burden of proof is on the one making the claims.
    “Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.” - Bertrand Russell

  8. #297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconMagician View Post
    Because people believe in science, not superstition, and no one in their right mind is going to advance "medicine" that hasn't been proven to be scientifically valid.

    Homeopathic medicine isn't medicine.. it's a bunch of made up crap that causes people to kill themselves by not seeking scientifically based medicine.
    It was not so long ago that the catholic church arrested people as heretics for the practice of medicine.

    You do not need a drug company to come up with some pill to treat sickness.

    There have always been herbs and other natural medicines that have been used for centuries. All drug companies do is take these natural medicines, put them in a pill and claim they own them.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post
    You do not need a drug company to come up with some pill to treat sickness.
    That's true. What we do need, however, is careful testing of remedies.

    I don't care where medicine comes from (unless it's gathered in an ethically questionable way, of course). All that counts is whether a remedy actually works or not. When it comes to something as important as our health, we shouldn't rely on hearsay alone, but do our best to test the efficacy of medicine. That's where medical science comes in.

    If you have 35 minutes to spare, I recommend listening to this story about the endeavors of an amateur cancer researcher.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ght-work?act=1

  10. #299

    Default

    There's just something about snakeoil salesmen that irk me, whether they're at the county fair or in Washington D.C.

  11. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daggdag View Post
    It was not so long ago that the catholic church arrested people as heretics for the practice of medicine.

    You do not need a drug company to come up with some pill to treat sickness.

    There have always been herbs and other natural medicines that have been used for centuries. All drug companies do is take these natural medicines, put them in a pill and claim they own them.
    Yep! and we will even let you rub them on your bum when you lie in bed in ICU - that is unless you are using something like St John's wart which has been shown to have quite significant side effects

    Some time google up digitalis, foxglove and history http://ownyourhealth.wordpress.com/2...edicinal-uses/
    Last edited by Bowerbird; Nov 24 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    "Capitalise your gains and socialise your losses might make sense to a few, especially the few who wish to exploit others without repercussions but it does not make for a good or healthy society
    “There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” ― Terry Pratchett

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 30 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Homeopathy - Legitimate Medicine or Placebo?
    By Uncle Meat in forum Health Care
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: Sep 14 2011, 09:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks