+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does Homeopathy seem to irk skeptics the most?

Quote Originally Posted by SiliconMagician View Post
    Any "medicine" that isn't based on the rigorous, tested and peer reviewed Scientific Method is no alternative.. it's snake oil.
    While I agree that homeopathy is snake oil, your logic is unsound. Lack of testing and peer review does not make anything "snake oil" or otherwise non-medicine.
    "The principle that the end justifies the means is, in individualist ethics, regarded as the denial of all morals. In collectivist ethics it becomes necessarily the supreme rule" -- F. A. Hayek.
    "A day, an hour, of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity in bondage" -- Joseph Addison's "Cato, A Tragedy" (1713)
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

2. Prosper.com, finance, financial, investing, lending, borrowing, banking, credit card, payday, borrowers, lenders, debt consolidation, Prosper, investment, personal loans, personal loan, investors, investment opportunities, debt consolidation

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    Are you on crack? I know you think it's "snake oil," but my question is, of all the "snake oil" medicines out there, why doesn't Homeopathy irk you skeptics the most?

Criminy.
    I'm not sure if it's more irksome than Reiki. At least homeopaths generally know their herbs and can recommend real substances for minor issues like a stuffy nose or muscle pain.
    "The principle that the end justifies the means is, in individualist ethics, regarded as the denial of all morals. In collectivist ethics it becomes necessarily the supreme rule" -- F. A. Hayek.
    "A day, an hour, of virtuous liberty is worth a whole eternity in bondage" -- Joseph Addison's "Cato, A Tragedy" (1713)
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerkampfwagen View Post
    Actually, it did.
    No it didn't.

Is it possible science doesn't yet know how it works?

australia au queensland
    Location: QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Orion Spur, Milky Way

No it didn't.

Do you know what a placebo is?

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHeadKen View Post
    While I agree that homeopathy is snake oil, your logic is unsound. Lack of testing and peer review does not make anything "snake oil" or otherwise non-medicine.
    How can a "snake oil" therapy system not only survive for over 200 years, but consistently keep getting more and more popular every year?

australia au queensland
    Location: QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Orion Spur, Milky Way

How can a "snake oil" therapy system not only survive for over 200 years, but consistently keep getting more and more popular every year?
    You seriously think that's evidence? Lots of things that didn't work survived for a very long time.

8. Default

Still trying to find where you get that Homeopathy is more well known than other Alt therapies. In my experience, it is not. I still got people asking me "what is that?" when I mention Homeopathy, but never when I mention things like Accupunture, Chiropractic, or Naturopathy.
    Well in my experience it is.

Which is exactly as reliable a claim as you saying it is the most hated.

9. Default

No it didn't.

It doesn't work. It is no more effective than a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzerkampfwagen View Post
    You seriously think that's evidence? Lots of things that didn't work survived for a very long time.
    Yes.

Such as? And don't say blood-letting.

Quote Originally Posted by AllEvil View Post
    It doesn't work. It is no more effective than a placebo.
    My answer requires a yes or no.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast