Democratic strategist: Cain's "Brainwashed" Remark Was "Racist, Bigoted"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by DonGlock26, Oct 1, 2011.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26 New Member Past Donor

Cornell Belcher: Cain's "Brainwashed" Remark Was "Racist, Bigoted"

Democratic strategist Cornell Belcher says there is a media "double-standard" over Herman Cain saying blacks have been "brainwashed." Belcher calls Mr. Cain a bigot and a racist and says this incident is a "teachable moment." (h/t TRS)

CORNELL BELCHER, DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST: First of all, do you think you're going to invite me on the show and then I'm not going to talk about the ridiculousness of that statement? Two things. One is a great way to sort of get people on your side and win voters is to attack their intelligence.

So great job there. Really sensible, Herman Cain.

The second part here is, it's really a teachable moment. You know, if I came on your show, Anderson, and I said, all Jewish people are brainwashed, I probably wouldn't be invited back to CNN and I assure you the condemnation would be swift and it'd be powerful and be strong.

What Herman Cain said was a racist, bigoted statement and it should treated like a racist and bigoted person who makes those racist and bigoted statements.

COOPER: Ari, what about that? I mean saying black voters have been brainwashed, how does that language play outside his supporters?

FLEISCHER: Anderson, I'm not -- I'm not even going there. I'm not even -- Anderson, I'm not even going, I will leave that alone. I think the downside to the Herman Cain candidacy are probably twofold. One, it's a Catch-22 for him. That's catch-23 can address.

He can't win because people think he can't win. If he continues and is just persistent and keeps working in the way he's working, and just as able to break through, he'll get through the highest barrier or the hardest barrier, which is credibility because people don't think he can do it. So that just comes from plugging ahead. The other is something I'm a little more focused on and that's he's never been in government before. While it's attractive on the one hand, having worked in the White House, you really need to have somebody who knows how to do things with Congress, lead Congress, get Congress where you want them to go.

I wish he had been a successful governor, I wish he was a one- term governor, or two-term governor. If he was, Anderson, I'd predict to you he would very be the frontrunner or almost the frontrunner in the Republican race right now.

BELCHER: You know, I -- no, I'm all in on this one. So, Ari, if he had said -- came on a statement on and said that all Jewish people are brainwashed, you would just leave that alone? You wouldn't touch that at all? But it's different if he says that about African- Americans? Why aren't you touching this?

FLEISCHER: Because I'm not going to get into racial politics. I think nobody wins when people --

BELCHER: And he didn't get into racial politics when he said all black people were brainwashed?

(CROSS TALK)

COOPER: Cornell, let me ask you --

BELCHER: He's number three right now in the polls and he's getting into racial politics saying that all black people were brainwashed?

FLEISCHER: Cornell? Cornell? Pick your fight with Herman Cain. Don't pick your fight --

COOPER: Cornell --

BELCHER: The fight is not with me. I actually consider you a friend. I'm --

FLEISCHER: Cornell, pick your fight with Herman Cain. Don't pick your fight with me.

BELCHER: I actually consider you a friend. I'm not fighting you. I'm just asking a question because I can't believe that there's no condemnation about such a bigoted statement.

COOPER: Cornell, let me just ask you. I mean -- are you sure it's racist? I mean, don't plenty of people make the statement that well, this group is brainwashed --

BELCHER: What is the definition of "racism" or "bigotry"? It is in fact putting a blank statement on a whole group of people. And again, Anderson, I guarantee you, if I came on your program and said that all Jewish people were brainwashed, you wouldn't invite me back on this -- on CNN. I would not be back on CNN. I'm sure of that. There's a double standard here. I think this is a teachable moment. COOPER: Don't people often say, though, well, liberals think this, or -- I mean people make vast statements about groups all the time.

BELCHER: Well -- well --

COOPER: I mean independent voters think this or --

BELCHER: Well -- well, liberals didn't have a history of Jim Crowe or slavery so it's different.

COOPER: I'm not arguing with you. I'm interested in your perspective. So that's why I'm just kind of probing around the edges.

BELCHER: And it's not an argument.

COOPER: Right.

BELCHER: Again, I'm trying to look at this as a teachable moment because clearly to me there's a double standard going on here and it's outrageous.

COOPER: Do you think -- how do you think his statement, Herman Cain's statement, are you surprised that it hasn't gotten the reaction that you've had?

(CROSS TALK)

COOPER: I mean certainly it's raised a lot of eyebrows.

BELCHER: Well, that's my point

COOPER: A lot of people are talking about it.

BELCHER: Well, that's my point. In all due respect, if he had came on this -- the network and said that all Jewish people were brainwashed it would have been -- it's top of the news and the condemnation would have come from all sides, including my friend Ari Fleisher. So my only point about this is --

FLEISCHER: You know, Anderson --

BELCHER: -- you can't play the double standard politics.

FLEISCHER: Anderson, let me jump in.

COOPER: Sure.

FLEISCHER: Let me jump in. I'm not -- I'm not going to dwell on this topic, but remember the question was about people being poisoned about a party. So there's a presumption in the question also that just flows from the fact that 90 to 95 percent of African-Americans vote a certain way.

But when people start throwing the word "racism" around that's when I end the conversation because you cannot have an intelligent conversation when people are accusing people in the public square of that. So I'm not even want to get into that topic.

COOPER: Cornell --

FLEISCHER: What you have is this fascinating dynamic --

(CROSSTALK)

FLEISCHER: Cornell, don't interrupt.

BELCHER: When someone makes a bigoted or a racist --

(CROSSTALK)

BELCHER: Ari, I think I'm not going to be bashful about calling them a racist or a bigot. And it's a bigoted statement, when you're calling all black people brainwashed --

FLEISCHER: Are you done, Cornell?

BELCHER: -- that's a bigoted statement. That's a bigoted statement, Ari.

FLEISCHER: Cornell --

COOPER: OK --

BELCHER: Yes, I'm done.

FLEISCHER: Cornell, 'Crossfire' got canceled for a reason. Let me finish. What's happening in the Republican primary right now is this fascinating dynamic where there still is a search under way for who will be the leader of the Republican Party.

And Republicans are thirsty for somebody who was really going to change Washington. And that's what my point was before about why I think Republicans are responding so well to Herman Cain's rhetoric.

Washington needs to have fundamental substantive changes in the taxes and the spending. And when you have career politicians going and saying, I'm going to do a little less of what was done before, it doesn't really resonate.

Herman Cain is resonating because he's got that outsider perspective. He's got those two downsides like I said, but I think he's somebody who has a good chance to end up in that third slot and nobody knows what can happen from there.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ed_remark_was_a_racist_bigoted_statement.html

Video at above link:

How else do you explain blacks voting for decades of Democrat failure? Talk about Stockholm syndrome. Anyway, if you are a conservative black, you can be called "Racist & Bigoted" by Democrats. What a sick party.......:puke:

_

2. wopper stopper

wopper stopper New Member

yet Obama is given a free pass for playing racial politics.

3. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

Obama's "Bedroom slippers" comment.... suggesting laziness and complacency within the CBC.... has most certainly been ignored by Mr. Belcher.

4. Silence_Dogood

Silence_Dogood New Member

What did Cain say, exactly, and prompted by what question/comment?

5. Piscivorous

Piscivorous New Member

Wait a minute here. I've been told by leftists here that blacks can't be racists or bigots. What the heck is going on?

6. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

It doesn't matter... "real" black folks consider H. Cain a "Tom" who represents a threat to "the struggle"..... fallacious accusations to discredit, belittlement, and politics of personal destruction designed to neutralize the threat are a predictable matter of course.

7. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

Blanket statements are all the left has for the Republican party...LOL So now this is something new?
    His answer is ''''Well yeah but the liberals didn't have a History of racism and slavery'',,,OH REALLY? I thought the Democrats invented the KKK........

8. Mad Conservative

Mad Conservative New Member

Revisionist history. We are supposed to forget that the OPPOSITION to the civil rights act and the formation of the KKK were all the fault of Democrats.

Never mind that many Jewish Americans fought for (and died for) Black civil rights in the South.

The left have revised even history that's less than a couple generations old to fit their paradigm.

9. flounder

flounder In Memoriam Past Donor

Now I do not know if it was the right thing for Herman to say ''Brain washed'', however he understands these people better than us, and I would assume knows what registers with them. Just like Obama speaking with the people of Chicago, the approach is different.
    One thing though, you ask any of them on the street why they vote Democrat, and what will you hear almost every time???..''Duh,,they are for the poor'', which is code for ...ENTITLEMENTS,,,bought votes!!! Of course they will never put two and two together and realize they are just as much slaves bought with these entitlements, just as they were bought with a roof and food in the South. Remember many remained slaves even after the war...

Does anybody with a brain really think Republicans would just end welfare? Nope, but to them just the thought of being in that position sends chills up their backs, and the Democrats constantly play the fear game. It's what the party is about,,,ALL OF IT!!!
    In fact many of the black Americans vote against their own beliefs with the Democrats, look at the numbers. Most are much more conservative thinking than Liberals,,,,,FACT!!!!
    Gay marriage.................AGAINST
    ABORTION.....................AGAINST
    STEM CELL....................AGAINST
    RELIGION.......................FOR
    And much much more........

http://emergingminds.org/Report-Finds-that-African-Americans-More-Conservative-than-Liberal.html
    ""The so-called 'exceptionalism' of African American politics is well known,"" said Americas Majority press secretary John Altevogt. ""One liberal party dominates Black politics at the local, state and federal levels. What is less known is the shaky foundation on which this edifice depends. More
    African Americans self-define as conservative - 28.4% -- than liberal - 26.2%. These Black conservatives agree with their white counterparts on 17 of the 19 issues covered in our new study.

""In fact, African Americans are more conservative than their white counterparts on numerous issues, including taxes, abortion, school choice, defense-of-marriage, abstinence education, and the teaching of creationism in the classroom. Yet, as our research shows, African Americans who are
    pro-life, pro-family, pro-school choice, and anti-tax regularly vote for candidates who share none of these views.
    SOOOOO,,,what's up wit dat???? Simple, the Democrat's are much more interested in keeping them down on the farm and voting for ''THEIR'' benefit'', NOT the black populace, so they buy them with the cash,,,,,OURS!
    HORRIBLE PARTY!!!
    [I did vote for Clinton,,he came through with the welfare reform act,,a COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!,,naturally ripped apart later by the Dems for,,,guess what?..............VOTES!!!

Yet like I said,,,when asked? ''Democrats are for the poor''........REALLY?

BRAINWASHED!!!!!

10. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

Rightwing logic is that blacks are too stupid to know who to vote for.....why wouldn't this liberal conspiracy brainwash whites? Aren't there more of them? Wouldn't that be more useful?

11. wopper stopper

wopper stopper New Member

OK, have it your way.

liberal whites are brainwashed and too stupid to know who to vote for

webrockk and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Lowden Clear

Lowden Clear Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hilarious. . . .