Which Elections Are Most Important?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Andromeda Galaxy, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Andromeda Galaxy

Andromeda Galaxy New Member

As a voter in the US, I wonder, in the view of my fellow citizens, which elections are most important? Local elections which influence the elections of local officials and members of Congress? Or National elections which decide who will be President of the United States? I have in the past voted only in National elections, but now I am going to start paying much more attention to local elections and elections for seats in Congress and voting in those elections. I am beginning to think that Congressional and local elections are just as important, if not more important, than elections at the National level. What do some of my fellow citizens who are voters think?

2. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Friends of mine who work for local government think that local elections are probably the most important. Without a doubt, you have more of a voice in local elections. A local county commissioner won his seat by 3 votes. My wife and I who voted for him, almost skipped the vote because his was about the only contest on the ballot. If we and two others who voted for him hadn't, he would have lost. Voting makes a difference.

3. Andromeda Galaxy

Andromeda Galaxy New Member

I think you are right, that local elections are more important. In addition, it seems that the local level can also influence things at a more national level. But if all you do is vote at the National level, while neglecting to vote at the local level, then your vote doesn't matter as much. I think to more effectively get your voice heard at the National level, is by thinking locally and small and voting in local elections; rather than thinking only big and nationally and only voting in national level elections. So it's very important, probably more important to pay attention to local issues, think locally, think small (rather than always just big picture thinking) and vote at the local level and this in turn can influence things at a national level. Local and small things matter in the political process.

4. fmw

fmw Well-Known Member

To me national elections are meaningless. It doesn't matter who wins the white house. Both parties do the same things when they are in power and none of those things has anything to do with the common good. The political parties aren't about government. They are about political power. I wish we had a no party system. Failing that a multipary system would be better than what we have now.

Our government is now beyond incompetent. We should fix it so we have a lot less of it.

5. Pokerface

Pokerface New Member

The presidential election and senate are inportant. We cant afford anymore liberal nut jobs on the supreme court.

6. JohnLee

JohnLee Banned

Just Compare policies from each party in their own words, and make an informed decision about who to vote for at the 2015 general election.

7. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

Currently all 50 States designate electors by popular vote. That means your vote in the presidential election helps determine how the electoral college will vote, who are the ones directly voting for President.

Basically the courts can make their own law, they are effectively given that power. Not explicitly, but that's how it works in practice.

8. Alucard

Alucard New Member Past Donor

In my opinion, the Presidential Election is the most important one.