Democratic Healthcare FTW!

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by DinodudeEpic, Oct 9, 2011.

1. DinodudeEpic

DinodudeEpic New Member

What we need is not corporate healthcare, nor obamacare, nor socialized medicine.

What we need is democratic healthcare.

In democratic healthcare, there is both a public and private option for healthcare. The public option would be a directly democratically controlled public institution that merely provides free adequate health-care. The private option would be runned by worker cooperatives in a free market economy.

The government should only provide, not enforce.

2. Hitops

Hitops New Member

That's fairly close to what you have right now. You either have a job and use private insurance, or you are very poor and the emergency room cannot turn you away or charge you for care. How are you liking this system?

Other countries with public and private care include South Africa and India, as two examples. Not sure I'd want either of those. There may be other combinations of private/public services that are better.

3. bradm98

bradm98 Member

Please expand a bit on the bolded section - what is a "directly democratically controlled" health care institution? Would "we the people" vote on which procedures would be covered and what reimbursement rates would be? I'll reserve further comment until this point has been clarified.

4. michal

michal New Member

very utopian IMO... I live in canada, and i don't use the healthcare system.

It sucks, many times it has failed my family [we're not prone to illness or anything like that either] It fails to deliver basic needs. And those are oftentimes addressed by 'here, take some T3 tylenol'...

5. Hitops

Hitops New Member

While Canada has no perfect system, you are assuming that a different system such as the US would necessarily deliver that care better. That is not necessarily the case. What was the situation that you experienced?

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

IRS goin' after Obamacare uninsured...
    :omg:
    Personalized IRS letters nudge uninsured to get coverage
    January 13, 2017 | WASHINGTON (AP) — If you haven't signed up for health insurance, you may soon be getting a not-too-subtle nudge from the taxman.