Republicans Introduce their own "Buffett Rule"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JP5, Oct 16, 2011.

1. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

I would love to see some reporter ask Buffet how much money he pays accountants and lawyers each year to KEEP FROM paying federal income taxes.

"It’s ironic that President Obama is using Warren Buffett as a poster child for raising taxes at a time when the federal government is saying Berkshire Hathaway hasn’t even paid their own taxes,” Scalise said. “If Warren Buffett truly feels that he’s not paying enough in taxes, he doesn’t need a change in law to put his money where his mouth is, he can send his check for a larger amount to the Treasury today.”

"President Obama’s proposed “Buffett Rule”-- which would force the wealthiest Americans to pay higher taxes to help cut the nation’s deficits -- has met its Republican match.

Republican lawmakers have introduced their own “Buffett Rule” that would allow billionaire investors like Warren Buffett who say they’re not paying enough taxes to voluntarily give more money to the federal government.

Under the legislation, authored by Sen. John Thune of South Dakota and Rep. John Scalise of Louisiana, taxpayers can donate at least a $1 to the Treasury fund for deficit reduction when they file their federal income tax returns starting next year.

“If individuals like Warren Buffett or President Obama are inclined to donate their own personal money toward paying down the federal government’s debt, they ought to have that right to do so voluntarily,” Thune said. “This bill would make it easier for those wealthy individuals who feel they are currently under-taxed to pay more to the U.S. Treasury above and beyond their current obligations, without raising taxes on America’s job creators.”
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rule-allowing-americans-to-pay-more-to-uncle/

So, how much money can we expect will be forthcoming from Warren Buffet and George Soros into the federal coffers???
    I'm betting...ZERO!

2. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Eww.. I LIKE this..

I will donate an additional 5 bucks annually out of my tax return if its guaranteed to go to deficit reduction. How many liberals will match it?

I'll even post a digitized copy of my return to show I paid it, if it passes.

Any liberals up for the challenge? If everyone in the nation donated 5 bucks annually to a guaranteed deficit reduction fund.. we'd be out of trouble in no time.

Charity for the national good. The way it was meant to be.

This shouldn't just pass, there should be a huge national drive similar to the old War Bonds.

3. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

Liberals don't believe in charity.

That's too optional for libs who are devoted to a society where every human action is either mandatory or not authorized.

4. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

Liberals believe in "charity", as long as there is a vote in return. Quid Pro Quo, or NO.

5. Mac-7

Mac-7 Banned

When Democrats use government to buy a voter's loyalty it isn't called charity.

Libs choose to call that an entitlement.

Meaning that the deadbeat Obama voter is entitled to someone else's money and Obama is entitled to his or her vote.

6. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

LOL...it will never make it past the senate let alone actually make hypocrites like Buffett or scum bags like Soros pay more in taxes.

7. JP5

JP5 Former Moderator Past Donor

Of course....not that these two liberals care as they want more taxpayer dollars given away (everyone else's, though).....but the thing wrong with giving the federal gov't any additional money is that they need to FIRST prove that they are cutting spending. Otherwise, it's just more of the same; giving them more and more of our dollars only to have them find more ways to spend it INSTEAD of paying down what they've already over-spent.

8. Rapunzel

Rapunzel New Member Past Donor

Oh, I thought everyone already realized that...my bad.