Michigan Senate OKs anti-bullying bill despite protests

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Think for myself, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

So let me get this straight.

They make a law banning bullying, but if one is expressing their religious views, then that is okay?

This is school folks, not the preaching tour. Either this behavior should be banned, or not banned. But banning it save for religious expression is ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Bullying has no place in school. Preaching has no place in school. It is school. Children are there to learn. Not to bully, not to be bullied, and certainly not for bullying under the pretense of their loving and benevolent god.

http://www.detnews.com/article/2011...enate-OKs-anti-bullying-bill-despite-protests
    The Michigan Senate passed an anti-bullying bill Wednesday over strong objections from Democrats and even the father of the bullying victim after whom the bill is named.
    "Matt's Safe School Law" passed 26-11 with all Democrats voting against it. The bill is named for Matt Eppling, an East Lansing 14-year-old who committed suicide after being bullied by classmates in 2002.
    The law includes a section noting it doesn't abridge First Amendment free speech rights or prohibit expression of religious or moral viewpoints — a provision Democrats fear could be used to justify harassment of gay, lesbian or transgender students.
    "I am ashamed that this could be Michigan's bill on anti-bullying when in fact it is a 'bullying is OK in Michigan law,'" Kevin Eppling, Matt's father, whose letter was read by Sen. Glenn Anderson during Wednesday's session.
    Democrats tried unsuccessfully to attach an amendment to list characteristics — such as race, gender and sexual preference — that are off-limits for bullying. They said policies that include detailed lists have held up better when challenged before the U.S. Supreme Court.
    "The Supreme Court … clearly says that enumeration is important," Anderson, D-Westland, told the chamber.
    Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, the bill's sponsor, said the intent of the bill is to get each district to write an anti-bullying policy within six months.
    Asked if he thinks the religious provision could, for example, be used to exempt a student who tells a gay classmate he is going to go to hell, Jones said, "I don't believe for one minute that is the intent of this legislation."
    "Certainly a child should not be allowed to go up to another child and say he's going to hell," Jones said.
    Jones noted school districts would be able to enumerate their policies if they want to.
    Michigan is one of three states that have not enacted anti-bullying legislation. According to the Senate Fiscal Agency, at least 10 people have committed suicide in the past decade due to bullying.
    There have been nearly annual attempts to pass an anti-bullying bill in Michigan.
    Ari Adler, spokesman for House Speaker Jase Bolger, R-Marshall, said he doesn't know if there will be support for the bill in the Republican-controlled House.
    Gov. Rick Snyder's spokeswoman, Sara Wurfel, said he supports anti-bullying legislation "to provide a safe environment for all students."

waltky and (deleted member) like this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says bullies kick others while they're down...
    :grandma:
    Many pupils with cancer bullied, charity says
    3 December 2012 - Primary school children with cancer are being bullied, losing friends and missing out on their education, a survey by a cancer charity suggests.
    See also:

Cancer: Not only a rich-world disease
    3 December 2012 : Cancer treatment in the developing world tends to be primitive or non-existent, and the disease is often regarded as a death sentence. It's not a priority for aid donors - there is a mistaken tendency to see it as a disease of the rich. But this is now beginning to change.

3. trucker

trucker Well-Known Member Past Donor

granny is right, the new world kiddies are to much into self image and those mother feminist have created brats
    [​IMG]
    , since the fathers are powerless in the family now,and the children boys have little self esteem
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-esteem then they turn to gang like thuggery.

4. Angrytaxpayer

Angrytaxpayer Banned

There's no place for bullies in schools. But I'm old school. I think the best remedy for bullies is a sharp blow to the temple. But only if it is a last resort and it continues and the bully's parents don't give a (*)(*)(*)(*) about respecting other kids.

5. trucker

trucker Well-Known Member Past Donor

its just a EGO trip the parents are now on in this time line, and the media /commercials with the just do it or
    range over all living creatures.. mentality
    [video=youtube;Y15-eOGbx4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y15-eOGbx4I[/video]
    is what the new world order wants to program the masses with, create a class of me first! , then the nwo can divide and conquer.

6. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Food Allergies Lead to Increased Bullying...
    :omfg:
    Kids Teased About Food Allergies No Laughing Matter
    December 28, 2012 — School bullying is a well-known problem, but one particular type is raising fresh concern. It involves children with food allergies. Students, parents and teachers may not be aware that the consequences can be fatal.

7. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

If only children thought this way.