This Is An Outrage - Kids Get Away With Murder

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Makedde, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Makedde

Makedde New Member Past Donor

Two and a half years ago, Victoria suffered through its darkest day. My town suffered too - a bushfire was lit, on purpose, on a 47C degree day. It tore through hundreds of hectares, burned down close to 60 houses, including a friends, burned down the local Spotlight store, and burned one man to death in his caravan.
    The little (*)(*)(*)(*)s who did it were charged last year, but all charges were dropped yesterday because these bastards have 'low IQ's'.

So basically, if you are stupid, you can light a (*)(*)(*)(*)ing fire, ruin countless lives, terrify an entire (*)(*)(*)(*)ing city, and get away with it:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/anger-as-black-saturday-charges-dropped/story-fn7x8me2-1226188112733

Marysville was a town. 90% of it was completely destroyed that day. Bendigo could have been the same if not for pure luck. If that wind hadn't changed who knows what could have happened. We are all so freaking lucky, and thankful to be alive, and these mongrels get away with what they've done!

The DPP says it 'isn't in the public interest to prosecute'. Bull crap! We want those kids locked up, we don't care about their low IQ's, we want them punished.

Over 300 charges between the two were dropped. Over 300. These brats were also alleged to have made hoax calls to 000 operators in the day before, and after the fires, Sexually suggestive calls. If they are capable of doing that, who the heck says they didn't know that what they were doing was wrong that day?

I want them charged. I want them locked away. What happens if they do the same thing again? Drop the charges because they are not smart enough to instruct a lawyer? I hope someone names them.

2. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

How old are the kids? It's always a slippery slope when it comes to prosecuting minors. It's hard to say whether or not they're cognizant of what they are doing, or aware of the consequences, or prone to commit more crime.

I understand the concern over whether or not they'll continue to act like idiots, it's a legitimate concern. It's sad to read about crime in the news, but always worse when it's a crime that could have been prevented by enforcing adequate incarceration.

3. SiliconMagician

SiliconMagician Banned

We Americans are constantly being criticized for having the same attitude you do now. Remember, in more liberal nations, the courts will always err on the side of rehabilitation and second chances over the victim or society's need for justice.

4. Makedde

They were 13 and 14 when they lit the fires. They are now 15 and 16. It isn't their age that allowed them to get away with murder, its the fact that they have low IQ's, which I don't care about at all.

5. Leo2

Leo2 Well-Known Member

Makedde, I understand and sympathise with your concerns. But the principles involved here are the same as those involved in the statement "If you do not believe in freedom of speech for those who espouse opposing views to your own, then you do not believe in freedom of speech."

In a civilised society, we do not hold children accountable for their actions to the same degree as we hold adults accountable, regardless of the severity of the crime. A 13 year old of below average intelligence cannot possibly recognise the possible consequences of the crime he committed.

Furthermore, if we make exceptions in respect of the gravity of the crime, we start on that slippery slope which ends in sentencing minors to execution.

6. leftlegmoderate

Hmm, how is it that they both have low IQ's? What conditions do they suffer? What's missing from the story?

If their defense fabricated the low IQ angle, and both kids are actually of average intelligence, then they should spend time in juvenile hall. Otherwise, they need adult supervision, someone who can be held accountable.

7. Sunkissed

Sunkissed Member

I think intent is critical. The chain of events that occurred is tragic, but do you think these kids set-out to kill people? Even if these kids didn't have a mental deficiency, kids often behave wrecklessly without the intention of hurting others.

Reminds me of when I was in high school and we had nothing better to do than go into the woods, drink and listen to music, a guy friend found a bulldozer in the woods....a bulldozer that still had the keys in it. He accidentally tore down an already dilapidated vacant house. When he fessed up to this, the owner decided to sue his dad instead of pressing charges. This meant his family almost had to resort to bankruptcy. My friend and his dad got into a heated argument over this and the father committed suicide. Again, intelligent but careless kids behaving foolishly without serious consideration of consequences. It happens.

8. leftlegmoderate

Now THAT sounds like a party! :mrgreen:

9. Makedde

Leo, if you had been here during that horrific day...you'd be counting your blessings. I could see that fire cloud from my window, it blocked out the entire sun. Winds moved at 120kph and incinerated everyone and everything in its path.

Those brats might have low IQ's, but they apparently made sexually offensive hoax calls to 000 operators the day before they lit the fire. If they are capable of doing that, why are they not capable of facing up to the crime they committed? They burned down nearly 60 houses, destroyed hundreds of hectares of property, and murdered an innocent person - a disabled man at that. Poor bugger had a walking stick, tried to escape the fire but couldn't move fast enough. I can't imagine his terror.

Maybe I am letting emotions get to me - but when someone, anyone, commits a crime as severe as this, I don't care what kind of disabilities you have, you should be locked away, deemed a danger to the public.

Various doctors who examined them all reached the same conclusion. So I have to trust the professionals were right, and that the boys really do have low IQ's. But allowing them to walk free is NOT the answer. They face no punishment at all for their crimes. If they do the same thing again, what happens? Will they again walk free?

They have proven they are a danger to the general public. Thank god I don't live closer to Bendigo, I could have been freaking killed. As it was, I was afraid my little apartment might burn down.

Disability or not. They need to be punished.

10. spt5

spt5 New Member

Maybe, the charges could be re-filed under a few public safety laws, environmental laws, or terrorism laws. In the US, most such vandalism/insanity offenses have already been converted into terrorism offences and rightfully carry the harsher punishment.

Also, their caretakers/parents can be charged with this crime too then now since their IQ got diagnosed.

By the way, are you sure that getting killed in a fire is worse than getting (horribly) burnt and staying alive like that for the rest of your life?

11. Makedde

Getting killed is bad and living with injuries is also bad. Either way those kids should receive some form of punishment, instead of a slap on the wrist, which is basically what they got.