Germany Puts Forward End Of British Pound -- UK Goes Crazy:

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by janpor, Nov 18, 2011.

1. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Schäuble sagt das Ende des britischen Pfunds voraus

GoogleTranslation here

:clap:

How this goes down in the UK, the DailyMail to be exact:

Schäuble Says UK Will Join Euro and Germany Has Plan To Block British Referendum:

Some segments:

Anyways, UK is going bonkers -- with good reasons.

As I have been saying for almost a year now: the British obstrucionist attitude is the cause for the UK to be completely side-lined. Good riddiance as far as I'm concerned!

:twocents:

2. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Didn't you post an article about how all of the EU spoke German now? :mrgreen:

3. Leffe

Leffe New Member

You should probably read more press than you narrow pro-Federal EU mind allows:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,798588,00.html

Of course little people like little things, but the big boys of Europe are more sensible. Relations between Germany and the UK are in good form, which is natural amoungst the more significant EU member states. The smaller players should not really get involved, it makes them look like one of those snappy little dogs, yapping around your ankles, oblivious to the fact that they are tolerated and not really involved, but with one swift kick, they'll yelp their way back to their corner.

:-D

Heroclitus and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Leffe

Leffe New Member

Continued here:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,798588,00.html

You see Jap, this is a matter for nations with large populations, and there are three of them in the EU 15, now four with Poland.

Germany knows all too well that the UK has a significant part to play in Europe, and the UK knows all too well which side its bread is buttered. It's all political posturing. In the case of the mouthy German and his "speaking "German" comment, I simply cannot believe how naive some could be. This comment gives Cameron the edge now, Merkel will obviously feel quite embarassed about this. His comment is divisive at a time when Europe needs to come together and find a solution.

And where's Belgium in all this? I keep reading about Germany, France and the UK, but not once do I ever read about Belgium's contribution to this, other than the fact EU HQ is in BXL..... Odd really. But I suppose the big boys are talking and the old mantra of "little boys should be seen and not heard" is true. :mrgreen:

5. raymondo

raymondo Banned

What arrant twaddle .
    The only way the pound would change is after the present Eurozone format disintegrated --- which is what we are half happily watching right now -- and when a federation of " Northern " States moves together on premisses that truly make economic and political sense .
    That is many years away , and first we need to examine the wreckage of the Eurozone and then America in order to evaluate best options .
    I suspect that as the dust settles and the planet realises the devastation visited on it by America primarily , that any vestiges of a " special relationship " will be reviewed and considerably changed in emphasis .

6. tamora

tamora New Member

I'm very disappointed in you Janpor. It was only a few months ago you were saying the UK should be "kicked out of the EU ASAP!" I'm was in total agreement with you in that; the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. "Sidelined" just isn't good enough!

7. raymondo

raymondo Banned

It's always fascinating to watch the Hilly Billies try to work out what is happening in the wider world .
    In the way that George Brown led the way for Global Bank Reform in 2007/8 , David Cameron is now leading Europe by telling the Eurozone to put right its own incompetence and largely through the gutless and spineless ECB which can't even set a sensible rate of money interest .
    There is a certain type of redneck that seems to resent the experience and sophistication of The Brits .
    It's a bit like simple youngsters rebelling against their wiser Dads .

8. Iolo

Iolo Well-Known Member Past Donor

You genuinely believe that Cameron and Osborne are experienced and sophisticated? No - it's irony, obviously! That's a relief!

9. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Me not mentioning it, doesn't mean I haven't read it.

Funnies... :giggle:

UK ism I can't stress this enough, on a collision course with the rest of Europe -- this is self-evident. On this course, the power hungry British politicians, are taking the future of all Britons hostage all for the sake of their own benefit and the benefit of their criminal friends in the City. In the process the UK is a threat to the well-being and welfare of 450 million Europeans.

This thread, somehow, needs to be neutralized. And since the UK has been proven a total obstructionist, a free-rider, a leech, parasite or whatever -- there is no other way than giving you a (semi-permanent) time-out.

From your own article:

Anyways Leffe, I'm truely dissappointed because you fail to see that this is not about some sort of nationalistic reflex -- or that I somehow am bitter that I'm Belgian?

No -- that's just ludicrous!

It's exactly the EU that enables a sense of equality between memberstates.

You, Leffe, have approved your own moral bankruptcy!

As somehow citizens of smaller memberstates aren't as worthy or meaningful as citizens of bigger memberstates?!

Besides, everyone respects Belgium -- the same can't be said about the UK at all.

10. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know you think I, for whatever reason, am somehow American. The idea alone is quite entertaining indeed, not that I think it would be a bad thing or something. However, at least I know the name of the former British PM, and it ain't George.

The United Kingdom, and certainly not PM Cameron, isn't leading anything except in incompetence itself! His own party is rebelling against him, they've run the economy in the ground, their debt is completely unstainable, etc.

Why is everybody, except for me, denying the obvious?!

Jean-Claude Juncker agrees with me, or better, I with him! :mrgreen:

Juncker - countries like UK can't dictate to euro zone

11. janpor

janpor Well-Known Member

As if I, a convinced European, could ever live with the idea of a Europe without Britain.

Never!

(!)

I could live with a Europe without Britain, in the idea to build-out our Union for the better without the British obstructionist attitude in the mean time.

UK will (re-)join eventually, the historic precedent has already been set for this (EFTA <=> Treaties of Rome), so I don't worry about that all -- not to mention that Scotland eventually will reclaim their independence, so an even more English-dominated UK will nourish nationalistic feelings in Northern Ireland and Wales.

For better or for worse, UK will be European -- always.

12. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Janpor ,
    Let me help you out in a basic matter .
    The UK has its problems and when those around it start drowning , we will be pulled under as well .
    That's the way Geo Political systems work .
    BUT , remember . In the way that both Russia and the US , to a lesser extent , spend amazing amounts of time and money trying to spin events .
    The EU has bred a race of elitist and dangerous twits of a very high order but very limited intelligence .
    If they can convince you that the UK is in disarray , they will go to any lengths to do so .
    There is untold wealth in the federalist idea of an EU Union -- for a new power elite .
    All the Brits are doing and saying is , " we will not roll over without a fight . You are , in your way , as bad as Fascist Russia -- corrupt and entirely selfish --- but we will preserve identity and some independence , because so far you have shown yourselves to be incompetent and as corrupt as those you profess to oppose .
    As in 1940 , we stand alone . But just watch how History judges us .

13. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Remember the days when your posts were factual.

Meanwhile in UK, this is what is actually going on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-15805130

UK is not joining the Eurozone.

Cameron met with Merkel because of some tax which will cost UK jobs. They have a good relationship. I suppose compared to some of the halfwit leaders Merkel is dealing with, even Cameron the buffoon appears Mensa quality.

14. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Keep watching .
    Cameron is no buffoon .
    He will run rings round all of the public figures that I know .
    He says that as the Eurozone is in debt , they better get themselves solvent .
    Is there anybody in the world -- apart from Father Christmas -- who would say different?

15. Iolo

Father Christmas is presumably himself solvent, and certainly not making everything worse by pursuing class war and throwing the young to the wolves.

16. raymondo

raymondo Banned

I am trying to think of one country on the planet that does not split by Class --- and other variables as well .
    Ahh . There isn't one
    I think your wolverine reference to Russia and America is a little exaggerated , but may be you have an exclusive source .Perhaps you can provide examples of this barbaric practise. I feel sure this event has been removed from the Team GB Olympics schedule .

17. Viv

Viv Banned by Request

Oh he is.

This is no recommendation. As I said, compared with others Merkel has to deal with, he will appear competent. Being the best of a bad bunch doesn't denote ability.

Eh...and what was he told after giving this piece of unsurprising and predictable counsel? Sarkozy effectively told him to shut up and butt out.

He is really between a rock and a hard place. If he is not part of the Eurozone, his advice is frowned upon by those who are. If he joins the Eurozone in order to do what is required and what those in the Eurozone appear incapable of managing effectively...his own Party and country will dance on his bouffant head for buffoonery.

18. tamora

tamora New Member

Physically separating the UK from Europe has never been an issue, so don't worry yourself about that.

Politically separating the UK from the European Union, is very much an issue.

As for the UK obstructionism, both the UK chancellor, George Osborne and David Cameron want more fiscal integration of the eurozone, and David Cameron and Angela Merkel claim to have the same plan for European growth, but don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

If the people of the UK ever manage to override the will of our establishment and leave the European Union, I couldn't imagine the circumstances in which we would re-join. (The Scots and the Welsh might well decide they want to remain members, though I'm a lot less certain about the people of Northern Ireland.) IMO people here are growing more cynical by the day about the whole political process and thus are less inclined to trust any politicians, but particularly mainstream ones, than they've ever been. That this also goes for European bureaucrats goes without saying.

19. tamora

tamora New Member

Cameron is stating the obvious but that doesn't mean he isn't a buffoon. And as for running rings round the opposition, maybe he'll do that, and maybe he won't. If he does, he'll be the first British politician to do that to his European counterparts.

20. Iolo

Open class war against the poor and the sick is comparatively rare, however - and these two flabs are extremely stupid, and have never done a day's real work in their lives, as you know. Their right to criticise - let alone ruin - anyone is not immediately evident, is it?

21. Colonel K

Colonel K Well-Known Member

Cameron is shouting at the Eurozone from the peanut gallery on the outside.

22. raymondo

raymondo Banned

For reasons beyond my understanding our David and George don't meet with your aggregate approval .
    That's no great issue , as variety is the spice of life .
    However , the Eurozone is bankrupt and there is nothing anybody can do , apart from delaying the inevitable by further Money creation-- whether that is notionally from the IMF , ECB , or even from the Fed , given as funds for further Banks re-capitalisation .
    Unfortunately , though we were smart enough to avoid joining this doomed crackpot club , we are also EU members and as such can never leave , regardless of private wishes .
    Further , the antics of the paralysed Zone countries directly affect us economically and therefore financially .
    Nobody in their right mind would stand by mute listening to others make decisions that will affect our future .
    Particularly as we have so far outsmarted all our immediate neighbours --- check back just two years when every smart arse had the UK written off as dead and buried economically and financially .
    Like Lawson , Howe and Thatcher , our lads will pick their fights and and as the EZone rolls over, they will win those fights .It's our style , and history shows it works .

23. tamora

tamora New Member

Of course we can leave if parliament decides we should. The eurozone does of course massively affect the UK, but how have we outsmarted any of our immediate neighbours? Which fights did we win?

24. raymondo

raymondo Banned

Not sure it is as easy as that .
    Parliament can agree to take complete issue on a specific matter and repeat this process until the EU decides to suspend ( us ) .
    However , any advantages gained by ' winning " on one issue have so far been judged as " peanuts" versus total losses we would suffer by complete withdrawal .
    I am not an expert on the law in this matter , or even whether there really is one , should " push come to shove ".
    We "won "by opting out of the Euro and by opting out of clauses in Maastricht and Lisbon .

25. tamora

tamora New Member

Parliament can repeal the 1972 Communities Act. The EU can react as it chooses. We wouldn't suffer on withdrawal because we run a huge trade deficit with the rest of the EU. It would hardly be in the EU's interests to start a trade war.

We didn't "win" anything. We gained nothing from the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties, both removed vetoes and it was only under pressure from James Goldsmith's Referendum Party that all three parties agreed to a referendum. (The Tories had already signed us up to Stages I and II of monetary union.) George Soros also showed them the error of their ways by getting us dumped out of the ERM. And our opt outs from the Lisbon Treaty are worth squat. Cameron, like Brown, Blair and Major, is a pushover. Even Thatcher wasn't the great battler she was cracked up to be and we pay the price for it every day.