Why is the existence of God not obvious?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Anders Hoveland, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Anders Hoveland

Anders Hoveland Banned

If there is a God, why does God not make his existence obvious to everyone? Why is there no solid evidence? I have done praying, and personal investigation, and have been completely unable to determine whether God exists or not.

I do not believe in superstition, and am not inclined towards the idea of supernatural phenomena, but in the course of my investigation I have observed many inexplicable coincidences related to my prayers, as if there is some supernatural force listening to me. Yet it appears to me that this force is not God, at least not the truthful all-powerful God described in any of the main religions. Of course, it is to be suspected that my interrpretations of reality are compromised by some innate psychlogical bias towards religion, or something similar to the "placebo" effect. Nevertheless, even being aware of this likely possibility leaves my perceptions unaltered.

Having sincerely made the attempt to determine God's existence, why has God not revealed himself in a way that could leave little doubt?

It almost seems that there is some sort of supernatural mechanism whereby we project our beliefs which then become, in some ways, manifest in physical reality. At the same time, the manifestation seems to hide within statistical probability, and is completely congruent with the laws of science. In other words, science alone can describe everything that is happening, but to understand physical occurences on a human level there might be another mysterious phenomena. I think the difficulty in understanding reality may come from our limited perception of time in terms of "cause" and "effect". Time is not necessarily "flowing" forward or backward. I think that occurences in human lives are less "random" than we realise, and that there exist patterns between the past and future which cannot be explained merely through cause and effect.

I realise that my perception of reality is most likely compromised (that my observations might merely be part of my imagination) and that logic strongly suggests that God does not exist.

2. BFOJ

BFOJ New Member Past Donor

So whom were you praying to? Personal investigation? We are all seekers, hence personal investigators. This distinguishes you not from the rest of us. You "have been completely unable to determine..." because you have unbelief and accept the lies of satan. This is no way to find the evidence you seek. But you have determined one thing. You have determined to reject Jesus as your Savior. For you God does not exist so your eternity will be without Him. What hope do you have?

3. Felicity

Felicity Well-Known Member Past Donor

God is obvious.

Sorry you fail to see the obvious. :(

Rom 1
    [20] Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse;
    [21] for although they knew God they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking and their senseless minds were darkened.
    [22] Claiming to be wise, they became fools,
    [23] and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man or birds or animals or reptiles.

Oh...and if it's that you expect a certain kind of answer to prayer--that's not how God works. HE'S God, and does what he does--he's not your trick pony to demand he respond to you in the way YOU want--He's GOD. Humble yourself, and maybe you will recognize the God of the universe in the response to your prayer.

4. efjay

efjay Well-Known Member

REALLY!!!! Show PROOF of that claim please. Try NOT to use your book of fairytales please.

5. Felicity

Go outside; look up.

6. efjay

efjay Well-Known Member

LOL so you want to claim the sky as proof that you imaginary friend is real??? I said show proof not share your delusions.

7. BFSmith@764

BFSmith@764 Banned

You can't see it because you are blind.....intellectually, logically and spiritually. And there is nothing that I or anyone else can tell you that will cause you to realize this. It's like trying to convince a visually blind person that the sky is blue, if he is arguing that it is not.

8. Felicity

Fine. Look down.

No--close your eyes and feel the breeze.

No...watch a small child dance.

Oh wait...hold an old woman's hand...

...smell nutmeg...

...listen to birds in the morning...

listen in silence....

Aww....never mind--if you can't see it, it's because you WON'T see it.

9. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

What so-called claim are you referencing in that quote?

10. leftlegmoderate

leftlegmoderate New Member

For the same exact reason that the opposite question can be asked.

11. BFOJ

Do you ever notice the stars and the Universe around you while looking up at night? Notice the tremendous variety of plant life, the rushing waters, the powerful storms, the view of earth from a satellite, the majestic mountains, the beautiful sky, the earth in its fullness, the life all about us, the power of the waterfalls and on and on. What more proof should one need?

Your belief that this all came about as the result of an original explosion, the beginnings of life from nothingness, the intricate and complexity of all that we see and experience? Now that takes faith. Pardon me, I'll pass.

12. Panzerkampfwagen

Panzerkampfwagen New Member

It's not obvious because the universe works without need of a god. No current explanation of science requires a god to exist. Everything that we know has no need of it.

13. AllEvil

AllEvil Active Member Past Donor

All those things are possible in a godless universe.

14. Incorporeal

Incorporeal Well-Known Member

Perhaps because He don't want to.

Perhaps it is because you are looking in the wrong places.

See answers 1 and 2 above.

15. John1735

John1735 Banned Past Donor

The existence of God is quite obvious, for those who have eyes to see with.

16. Panzerkampfwagen

Mental illness is not proof of any gods.

efjay and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Sadanie

Sadanie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I tend to agree with that. . .as long as you're not limiting God's existence to the "Christian God!"

I have NO problem believing in God. . .I just absolutely do NOT believe in manmade religions and their narrow definition and "image" of God!

In fact, I believe that religion (all religions) are doing a great disservice to God and to the people.

God is love and unity. . .not "conditional love" and "separation based on cultural mores!"

18. Sadanie

Sadanie Well-Known Member Past Donor

That is the way I experience God!

Nothing to do with religions. . .no need for an "intermediary" or a "spokesman!"

19. Panzerkampfwagen

That's really setting the bar low.

The beauty of a mountain is proof that aliens created us all in labs to appreciate the beauty of mountains.

See how dumb the argument is?

20. Felicity

We shall see.

I hope you open your eyes before you close them forever.

21. efjay

efjay Well-Known Member

Dont push your fear mongering here thanks. You might like to believe in flying pink elephants but others are far to rational to do so.

22. Felicity

You may be so open minded your brains have fallen out.

1st, there was no "fear mongering"--if you found any sort of threat, it is of your own imagination. Obviously, if I'm wrong, I am a foolish person and you should pity my ignorance rather than become defensive.

2nd, snarky "pink elephants" belies your own weakness concerning metaphysical realities. Your attempt to dismiss God with "pink elephants" does no justice to the role of God and gods in the history of the world. It's like being a flat-earther. In the very least, God is relevant in the social experience of the world.

3rd, rational people know which "too" to use. ;) (--not to mention that rational people attempt to use punctuation other than terminal punctuation only.

23. BFOJ

It's what you don't know that you may be in need of. Apparently your religion is science and your god is man. Not such a great combination when having to deal with the unknown by the unknowing.

24. BFOJ

Well, you won't be experiencing those things in the godless world of hell.

25. BFOJ

Nor is it proof of no god.