Newt Gingrich: Child Labor Laws Are 'Stupid'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Agent_286, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Agent_286

Agent_286 New Member

Newt Gingrich: Child Labor Laws Are 'Stupid'

The Huffington Post | Luke Johnson | 11/21/11 11:08

Excerpts:

“Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich called child labor laws "stupid" Friday in an appearance at Harvard's Kennedy School of Government.

"It is tragic what we do in the poorest neighborhoods, entrapping children in, first of all, child laws, which are truly stupid," said the former House speaker, according to CNN. "Most of these schools ought to get rid of the unionized janitors, have one master janitor and pay local students to take care of the school. The kids would actually do work, they would have cash, they would have pride in the schools, they'd begin the process of rising."

"You're going to see from me extraordinarily radical proposals to fundamentally change the culture of poverty in America," he added.

Generally, the Fair Labor Standards Act allows minors over 14 to work in most jobs, with several exceptions for minors under that age. Hours are limited for minors under the age of 16. Some states have higher age standards.

He also said Saturday Occupy Wall Street protesters should "take a bath" and "get a job."

He still faces questions over his role as a consultant for Freddie Mac, for which he was paid at least $1.5 million for strategic advice from 1999 to 2007Gingrich has denied ever lobbying for the company and had criticized then-candidate Barack Obama for accepting campaign contributions from the firm.

Timothy Carney of the Washington Examiner disputed Gingrich's claim that he was never a lobbyist. The columnist reported that the former House speaker tried to convince Capitol Hill Republicans to add a prescription drug benefit to Medicare while being paid for by drug companies. Gingrich denied the report Monday, saying he publicly advocated the benefit and was doing well financially at the time.

Gingrich unveiled a plan Monday to allow younger workers to invest their Social Security in private retirement accounts, similar to an unsuccessful plan proposed by former President George W. Bush.

In an interview over the weekend with the Christian Broadcasting Network, Gingrich was asked how he is a better candidate than in the past. He said, ‘I do fewer dumb things.’ "

Read full article:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...ld-labor-lobbyist_n_1105178.html?ref=politics
    ………

Well, it didn’t take long for Gingrich to do dumb things again, so he has not really changed after all these years when he was forced out as speaker for his dirty tricks, lobbying, unethical actions, promiscuity altho married, and left in disgrace for alleged alcoholism.

To suggest that children go to work early in life is to bring us to the door of a third world country which employs eight year olds, which does nothing but keep them uneducated and steeped in poverty their whole lives. I wonder if Gingrich would ever allow any son or daughter of his to go to work instead of school. He is nothing but a stupid pompous windbag with an overload of assumed grandiosity, full of stupid ideas in his stupid headlong fling toward the presidency.

Also Gingrich’s statement concerning the Occupy Wall Street protesters was completely unwarranted, unnecessary and shows the vindictive nature of a three times married, callous politician named Newt Gingrich.

Would any person actually vote for this totally unethical, radical, morally sleazy, used-up politician?...oh wait: republicans/T-baggers would….. but
    certainly no one else!!

2. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Yea, really radical...My daughter was helping around the house when she was old enough to push a vacuum. I had her mowing the yard & cleaning the pool at age 10-14. She went to work when she was 15 (yea..so I had to mow and clean the pool...yes), payed cash for a used Volvo at 16, finished 2nd in her HS graduating class and recieved a full scholarship for college.

I'm sooooo heartless.

3. Kabuki Joe

Kabuki Joe New Member

...I got my first job working in a tropical fish store at 11...I loved it and worked there until I was 18...child laws are just another way for liberals/women to keep control of something they don't like...

Kabuki Joe

4. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Is he sane? (Serious question).

5. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

How else are poor kids going to pay for their educations after public schools are abolished if they can't work full time jobs?

6. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Yeah, good point. You should ask your neighbour why his 8 year-old isn't out cleaning the streets or something-why, it's just plain un-American!

7. Silkheat

Silkheat New Member

We should get rid of child labor laws. Young children make for great assembly line workers and miners. They fit into tighter shafts and cost less to replace than older workers.

8. way2convey

Who's proposing abolishing public schools? You?

9. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Yep, and they're just great for cleaning chimneys. No need for a brush-just strap the kid to a stick and shove him up there!

10. Defengar

Defengar New Member

Doesn`t he realize that under this system janitor guilds would form lol?

And all one has to do is look back at history to see how much more powerful guilds can be than unions.

Imagine unions having monopolies on absolutely vital professions and being able to hold a whole continent under their thumb. And not even the most powerful of kings being able to stop them.

11. TheLastBoyScout

TheLastBoyScout New Member

I think children should be allowed to work. I myself have worked since I was 12...paper route..de-tassled corn, walked beans .grocery store....

But I think that kids should only be allowed to work in certain jobs. It's not stupid to think that kids could be exploited by their parents or by others in dangerous, unhealthy, or exhausting jobs.

It's kind of case, by case, but the concept of the laws is not stupid. Children need some form of protection in this regard.

12. Veni-Vidi-Feces

Veni-Vidi-Feces New Member

[​IMG]
    She's not being exploited... she's a go getter. Maybe Newt should suggest the poor kids just move to a 3rd world nation and goto work? After all that's how he treats his wives when he's divorcing them.

13. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

The whole Charles Dickens thing just bypassed right wing America - I think they got him mixed up with Charlie Brown

Serfin' USA and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Chrononaut

Chrononaut New Member

Even if you take his plan at face value the logistics of it are simply ridiculous. My old high school had about around 2000 students and about about 10 janitors. Newt is just pulling (*)(*)(*)(*) out of his ass.

15. celica

celica New Member Past Donor

I started my first job at 14 or 15 too; but my example as well yours are all irrelevant. Child labor laws are set to curb child exploitation. These laws exist to make sure some drug addict lowlife does not send his 12 year old daughter to work on someone else's farm to make money for his drugs.
    Child laws are not stupid; they are essential to our society. Gingrich is a clueless moron who is trying too hard to appeal to right wing loons.

16. way2convey

Right. So, tell me how well those laws are working out in the inner city.

Wow....now that is deep. Did you need the spell checker for that flash of liberal brilliance?

17. camp_steveo

camp_steveo Well-Known Member

You should be proud!

congratulations!

18. way2convey

Something tells me Newt understands that. But hey, that's just me.

19. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Agreed. I started my first job when I was 12 as well.

It was a Sunday morning only job, in which I "put together" the Sunday News papers at a local Magazine store. Had to get up really early to get them ready for when the store opened at 6.
    Took a few hours to take a piece from each pile and make the paper...but I got 10 or 20 bucks for my trouble...dont recall now..but it was a good piece of cash for a kid with no real responsibilities back then.

Also taught me the value of getting up and going to work to earn my keep.

20. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Get kids working instead of sitting around playing video games until they are 18? We can't have that! Where is the next generation of liberals going to come from? Liberals depend on young naive people with no real world experience to buy into the fantasy of liberalism.

21. camp_steveo

camp_steveo Well-Known Member

WTH? He actually said that? That's the end of his campaign!

/sarcasm :bored:

22. xsited1

xsited1 New Member

That's not a bad idea. It would also keep them off the streets and out of trouble.

23. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

All of their campaigns are over, according to libs! I guess we should just go vote for Obama. He's offering hope and change... kind of catchy!

RichT2705 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. The Mello Guy

The Mello Guy Well-Known Member

25. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

I dunno.How did Obama pay for his higher education.He certainly
    never worked a day in his teen years life.I mean,save maybe a weekend or
    2 at Baskin Robbins.
    I hope more Americana style questions are asked by candidate Newt.
    The country is jaded with all Obama's Marxist rhetoric.
    Well,except the minority of budding Anarchists Pelosi and Obama
    gave their Blessing to { OWS Protestors }.The country is already starting
    it's turnaround.